2 Topics: 4 door topless Jeeps & POA Food Quality

shooter1951

We (3 "babyboomer" couples) are cruising the POA in a couple weeks and trying to get everything finalized. There were a couple questions we had and were hoping to get some advice/answers:

First question, we have been trying to follow forums pertaining to anything on the POA. Some of us have been on a couple previous cruises but we are by no means experienced cruisers. That said it seems the last week or so, many of the POA food threads we have come across have been more critical of the food. Has it for some reason taken a turn for the worst lately? If anyone has been on the POA the last couple weeks and can comment one way or another please post. If so should we check as soon as we board to make reservations at the specialty restaurants? Thank you for advice.

Our second question has to do with Jeep rental to go on the Road to Hana in Maui. Friends of ours were in Maui last year and rented 4 door topless Jeeps however they forgot who they rented from. I have tried several of the rental places and been unable to find any with 4 door topless Jeeps. Does anyone know where they can be found? Thanks in advance for any advice. Shooter :):)

I've been following the POA boards since last March and it's only been within the past 3 mths that I've read more positive reviews of the food. Prior to that I was really dreading what we were going to find food-wise on the ship. I don't go until Mar 26 so I would love to hear your thoughts upon your return. Have a wonderful trip!

My 2cents on renting a topless jeep/car is make sure you go got a good hat and SPF10000.

Every time I go there it is amusing and sad to see people who seemed to forget what a day in the sun can do to you.

The one good thing at least for the trip you are talking a large part of it is covered.

Folks your reading maybe two reviews out of hundred's of cruisers for that particular date. I'm telling ignore the reviews, we have done this cruise twice the last as recent as October and are booked for cruise number three on POA for 1/2012

Thank you toomuchluggage, I'm hoping to hear from others that have gone on the cruise recently and enjoyed it. Did you mainly eat at the buffets or the specialty restaurants? Also since you have done this cruise twice before are there any excursions you would definitely be sure to go on again? Thank you again for taking the time to post. Take care.

My 2cents on renting a topless jeep/car is make sure you go got a good hat and SPF10000.

Every time I go there it is amusing and sad to see people who seemed to forget what a day in the sun can do to you.

The one good thing at least for the trip you are talking a large part of it is covered.

We understand the risk of sunburns, we have owned boats in the past and know how quickly a little sun can ruin a good time. Our friends really liked seeing the scenery out the top of the Jeep that they may have missed in a van. But yes we do have the hats and sunscreen packed, thanks for reminding us.

We went last May on the POA. The food was just okay. It was not up to par with what we had on our HAL cruise, but I knew that going into it. It will by no means ruin your cruise. It is a great cruise with a wonderful itinerary. The food does not make or break this cruise.

Sorry I can't help you with the jeep rentals. Perhaps they rented through a small, independent rental agency. You might be able to make a few phone calls and get some leads. Try googling and see what kinds of places you can come up with. Someone might lead you in the right direction. Good luck!!!

We went last May on the POA. The food was just okay. It was not up to par with what we had on our HAL cruise, but I knew that going into it. It will by no means ruin your cruise. It is a great cruise with a wonderful itinerary. The food does not make or break this cruise.

Sorry I can't help you with the jeep rentals. Perhaps they rented through a small, independent rental agency. You might be able to make a few phone calls and get some leads. Try googling and see what kinds of places you can come up with. Someone might lead you in the right direction. Good luck!!!

Thank you for your post vbmom87. I've heard others define this cruise as more of a floating hotel just getting you from island to island. And that Hawaii is the "main event" not the cruise itself. We went on NCL's Alaska cruise in 2004 which also had Freestyle dining. It was very good and we really enjoyed every part of the cruise. That was one reason we booked thru NCL this time. We are going with GREAT friends and have some excursions planned that we will really enjoy. That and leaving winter here at home we're sure to have a GREAT vacation!!!

We are going with GREAT friends and have some excursions planned that we will really enjoy. That and leaving winter here at home we're sure to have a GREAT vacation!!!

Absolutely!!!! It is a truly wonderful cruise. You get to see so much in a week, and that is what you will remember most about your time in Hawaii...not the ship...but the beautiful scenery at each and every port. Have a wonderful time!!!

We did this cruise in 2009. We rented a 2-door topless jeep from Thrifty - there were 2 front bucket seats and a 2 person bench style seat in the back - behind that seat we had room for a small cooler & a beach bag.

As for the food - we ate the usul buffet breakfast and usually ate lunch and dinner on the islands. I think we only ate two dinners on the ship and enjoyed both.

We are talking about going to Hawaii again and would do this cruise on this ship again in a heartbeat!

Other than people who got off yesterday, my experience is as recent as you can get. We did back to backs from January 22 through February 5, 2011. Food is subjective. If your looking for free gourmet food you've come to the wrong ship. However we ate well the entire time. I'm a picky eater and some of the dishes don't appeal to me because it has ingredients I don't care for. Not because it wasn't edible. We ate in all the free venues and as I said ate well. You're not going on this cruise for gourmet food. While on these cruises we didn't eat in the Specialty Restaurants, we have in the past. The food quality is much better in the Specialty Restaurants but you pay for it.

My website has all the menus from all the restaurants on the ship if you need an idea what is being offered.

Hi Shooter

Did the cruise over Christmas and thought that the food was absolutely fine - no complaints at all. We did not book at any speciality restaurants and founf that the quality and variety at the main dining restaurant (I forget the name) was great.

We rented a Jeep from Alamo (via Discount Hawaii) I had a soft top roof which we just removed. It was quite a bit more expensive but a lot of fun!!

Other than people who got off yesterday, my experience is as recent as you can get. We did back to backs from January 22 through February 5, 2011. Food is subjective. If your looking for free gourmet food you've come to the wrong ship. However we ate well the entire time. I'm a picky eater and some of the dishes don't appeal to me because it has ingredients I don't care for. Not because it wasn't edible. We ate in all the free venues and as I said ate well. You're not going on this cruise for gourmet food. While on these cruises we didn't eat in the Specialty Restaurants, we have in the past. The food quality is much better in the Specialty Restaurants but you pay for it.

My website has all the menus from all the restaurants on the ship if you need an idea what is being offered.

born2cruise,

We thoroughly enjoyed your threads about the 2 weeks you spent on the POA. As you mentioned we definitely don't expect gourmet food on this cruise. We realize this is not like many others where the cruise ship many time is your main attraction. Our plans are like many others in that we are planning on getting off the ship early in the morning and return anywhere from 5:00PM to bedtime. Since we will be missing most of the lunches onboard we planned on grabbing sandwiches and snacks from either room service or the buffet before we leave for that days adventure. For the evenings we will be eating onboard we are looking forward to a nice supper and enjoy some of the shows offered.

We have checked out your website and found all the information very helpful. It seems we have tried to jam so much info into the "noggin" the last 3-4 weeks it feels like it's ready to explode. One question I did have though that you can answer I'm sure is breakfast. As I mentioned we will be leaving most mornings between 6-8 or so. We are staying on the 10th and 11 deck. Where would you suggest we grab a bite for breakfast? And it doen's have to be the full bacon, egg, pancake, waffle buffet just a good sandwich or roll and such.

Thank you again born2cruise, as I metioned we value the thread you posted.

Take care,

Shooter :):)

Hi Shooter

Did the cruise over Christmas and thought that the food was absolutely fine - no complaints at all. We did not book at any speciality restaurants and founf that the quality and variety at the main dining restaurant (I forget the name) was great.

We rented a Jeep from Alamo (via Discount Hawaii) I had a soft top roof which we just removed. It was quite a bit more expensive but a lot of fun!!

Charles,

Thank you for your post. 2 of the 3 couples we are cruising with are celebrating "special" anniversaries so we will probably eat at the main dining restaurant most the time except for the night we celebrate our anniversaries. then we will probably do one of the specialties.

Do you remember if your Jeep was a 2 or 4 door? We are all around 60 years old and we plan to rent 2 Jeeps for the 3 couples meaning 2 people we be sitting in the back. We just thought it may be easier getting in and out with a 4 door.

Thanks again Charles,

Shooter

We rented a 2 door soft top Jeep that was removable when we drove the Road to Hana. What we did not realize and what no one has mentioned is that is rains frequently in several spots along the Road to Hana. We kept have to put the top up and down which was not a quick process. Eventually we gave up and just got wet and hoped it stopped soon.

born2cruise,

We thoroughly enjoyed your threads about the 2 weeks you spent on the POA. As you mentioned we definitely don't expect gourmet food on this cruise. We realize this is not like many others where the cruise ship many time is your main attraction. Our plans are like many others in that we are planning on getting off the ship early in the morning and return anywhere from 5:00PM to bedtime. Since we will be missing most of the lunches onboard we planned on grabbing sandwiches and snacks from either room service or the buffet before we leave for that days adventure. For the evenings we will be eating onboard we are looking forward to a nice supper and enjoy some of the shows offered.

We have checked out your website and found all the information very helpful. It seems we have tried to jam so much info into the "noggin" the last 3-4 weeks it feels like it's ready to explode. One question I did have though that you can answer I'm sure is breakfast. As I mentioned we will be leaving most mornings between 6-8 or so. We are staying on the 10th and 11 deck. Where would you suggest we grab a bite for breakfast? And it doen's have to be the full bacon, egg, pancake, waffle buffet just a good sandwich or roll and such.

Thank you again born2cruise, as I metioned we value the thread you posted.

Take care,

Try the Cadillac Diner for a quick uncrowded breakfast. They have a limited menu but it is greater than it appears. Look at the breakfast menu. We ate there more often than the Aloha Cafe. At the time you are looking to eat it should be very quite. Don't get hung up in the packaged items. Anything on the menu can be ordered as separate items. While the menu says 7 to 11, now that they are open 24 hours breakfast starts at 5.

Try the Cadillac Diner for a quick uncrowded breakfast. They have a limited menu but it is greater than it appears. Look at the breakfast menu. We ate there more often than the Aloha Cafe. At the time you are looking to eat it should be very quite. Don't get hung up in the packaged items. Anything on the menu can be ordered as separate items. While the menu says 7 to 11, now that they are open 24 hours breakfast starts at 5.

Thank you, that is where we will go. :):)

Definitely a four door Shooter

Charles,

So the Jeep you rented was a 4 door with a rag top you could take off? Thrifty and Hawaiian Riders both just have the 4 door hardtops where just a panel over the driver and front passenger comes off. Kind of defeats the purpose if you want a clear vision of the sky above for the passengers in the back. In our "younger" days it would be no problem crawling in and out of the back seat of a 2 door Jeep but with the "added" baggage and knee syrgeries over the years it makes it tougher!!:D:D Our friends that were there last year own their own Jeeps and the assured us they had rented 4 door Jeep rag tops they drove on the Road to Hana (they couldn't remember from who) but they seemed non-existant to the rental companies. Thank you for your post. Alamo was one company I hadn't checked with yet but plan to today. Maybe the search is over!!! Thank you again!!

Take care,

It was a 4 door with a collapsable roof that you unclipped and then pushed back towards the rear so you did not take it off as such but it pushed back all the way so front and back were totally exposed other than the roll bars. It was a real pain trying to put it back but they did not seem to mind that we did not manage to do it 100%.

They go fast so I hope you manage to get one

Cheers

Charles

Archived