Does the captain do any maneuvers to show off the Pitons in St. Lucia?

shamrock17

We are sailing on the Carnival Victory in May. Our absolute favorite place is St. Lucia (we usually stay a week there), but since we are only going to visit her for a day....it is very important to have a great view of her sailing in/out of port. (I don't care where we face in port itself, which is what the previous posts seem to address.)

My dad sails RCCL often and says that when leaving St. Lucia their captain sails to the Pitons and does a 360 before sailing off, so everyone can view these majestic peaks. I have not read that on any Carnival reviews. We will be sailing from Barbados and leaving to go to St. Kitts the next day. The way I see it on the map, the Pitons will be on starboard side approaching and we will leave and the island will be starboard side leaving.

Can someone who knows Victory's typical routine please advise if seeing the Pitons from my balcony is my highest priority what side should my balcony room be? What time of day will they be visible?

Visited St Lucia on a Royal Caribbean cruise. No mention of or special maneuvers anywhere near the Pitons. As someone else said, the closest we got to them was via an excursion we took that stopped someplace for lunch with views of the pitons, and our stop at the drive-thru volcano wasn't far from them either.

No, not on the Miracle. The only reason we saw them was because we took a tour over there (to Jalousie Beach). The ship docks on the other side of the island. You cannot see them from the dock. Edited to add that really, those mountains are probably better enjoyed from up close. I cannot imagine the view would be as good from off shore (where a ship would need to be) than if you took a tour and got up close and personal. Here is the album if you want to see the St. Lucia pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/vanessa.1963/CarnivalMiracle#

St. Lucia pics about 1/2 way down.

So even sailing in from the south, you won't see them from a distance in the early AM? Any early risers out there who know how the ship approaches Castries?

We are doing an excursion to Jalousie, so we will get our Piton fix. But it is so fun to see them as you arrive the island (usually by plane for us.). It gets us excited!

Archived