Downtown Nassau Fire

bajathree

anyone know if any cruise ships stopped there today?? Or if they plan to tomorrow.

Have friends on the Majesty right now. They are suppose to go to the Bahamas tomorrow. I texted her this afternoon while they were in Key West. They knew nothing of the fire. Nothing had been announced on the Majesty yesterday or last night.

Wonder if they will get to stop???

As a retired Fire Chief (and former Fire Marshal) I couldn't agree more that the straw market is an area that I always found "wanting" in fire safety! I wonder if they installed fire sprinklers in the new market? Oh, please say yes! I may be back in Nassau next year!

Does "Chief7" equate to that you use to work for Cedar Hammock? I think their unit #'s started with 7 if I remember right. (or you didn't actually work in Bradenton?)

I am 95% it's not sprinklered.It's still has poor egress at best. The booths are about maybe 3-4 feet across for foot traffic......it's not pretty. U.S. law would not allow a set up like that!

Does "Chief7" equate to that you use to work for Cedar Hammock? I think their unit #'s started with 7 if I remember right. (or you didn't actually work in Bradenton?)

I am 95% it's not sprinklered.It's still has poor egress at best. The booths are about maybe 3-4 feet across for foot traffic......it's not pretty. U.S. law would not allow a set up like that!

U.S. law would not allow a lot of what goes on in other countries. And though I do not disagree that I have seen many things in other countries that seem sketchy at best we are in someways over regulated to death in our country. Several years ago we had a fire in RI. After the fire politicians began clammoring for this State to have the toughest building regulations in the country. They didn't want GOOD reulations they wanted the TOUGHEST. We ended up with a bunch of regulations that made no sense at all. All they did was created a tremendous expense for property owners. It was very typical political over reaction with very little thought process.

The new Straw Market is being rebuilt and is near completion. Here is old information on it: http://www.bahamas.com/news-announcement/2009/12/straw-market-building-return-nassau

We have seen great progress in recent visits. It is a vast improvement over the structure that burned down.

Me too :) The new star market does not face the water like the building in the picture above. Last time we were there (Oct) it had a roof, not sure when it is suppose to open.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Archived