I have NO desire to EVER cruise again!

robbyxoxo

Robby-

The only way I can keep cruising and continue to enjoy it is alternating my cruises with Land based vacations. I do usually choose Jamaica, but Mexico is a close 2nd purely because it's cheap from Texas. I keep cruising fresh because we choose a different itinerary each time though. We'll have to go to South America or Baja next time or I might just find myself wishing we were with you in a condo in Cancun :)

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Pholter:), I agree......i really was sooo burned out on cruising and seeing the SAME ports over and over.....so many different things about cruising i was burned out on.....the last couple cruises left an especially bad taste in my mouth.....the entertainment was so sucky, there was little to do at night......just sticking to the same old routine that you do on a cruise....and our last cruise being for 2 weeks, it felt like the movie Groundhog Day.....seeing the same people and the same exact entertainment each and every single night......and the ports youve either already been to many times or else they are ports that have nothing there and no real incentive to even visit.......to visit more exotic ports in different parts of the country, you have to pay an arm and a leg generally, as compared to youre avg western caribbean cruise...................I dont think i woulda been able to enjoy a month stay at most other caribbean ports....Cancun sets itself apart from the others because its got that South Beach FL flavor that makes it feel more like home, and yet still with the charm of Mexico......I mean being in Grand Cayman or Cozumel or Costa Rica or Belize or Costa Maya or Cozumel or any of the Virgin Islands, how much variety of night life do you have in these places?......or variety of shopping?......variety of places to eat.......Cancun has the best of all the places in my opinion.......beaches and water as nice as Grand Cayman.....the best snorkeling of any ive seen.....dirt cheap transportation via the public buses...$1 beers on the street....1000 different places to eat or go clubbin at night......jungle/water parks that are breathtaking to see............hard to find all these things at any of the other ports ive been to................some ports its hard to find much of anything to do.....Panama is like a horror story....costa rica has waves the height of houses.......Cayman wants $6 for a beer.....Belize has nothing unless you do a tour.....................I have2 cruises booked for next winter but i know Im canceling at least one of them and cant think of any reasons to go on the other......

and post there. I'm glad you're in the minority with your thoughts and ideas.
.....just tryin to post some factoids to keep it real.....i myself used to think that cruising offered the best value and bang for the buck.....i was wrong......i am still aware of benefits of cruising.....being able to see 3 ports in one vacation....having everything right there onboard at your convenience..........but for me the downsides outweigh the upsides.......and when you can find me a month cruise that cost as little as my month stay in cancun, ill jump right on it.........at least ive remained consistant in my views about cruising, even long before i did this land vacation.......there are so many things about cruising that just flat out sucks......limited times at port, standing in lines to eat...standing in lines to take pics....standing in lines for customer service...standing in line for the gala buffet....standing in line to get on and off the ship.....staying in a room thats too small with a shower thats too small.....gyms that are too crowded and you cant walk outside because the winds are blowing at 40 mph.....entertainment that belongs in a nursing home....fellow passengers that belong in nursing homes.....buffet food that belongs in nursing homes....tvs with hardly any channels......corny games....corny jokes....poor service in the dining rooms.....constant announcements......being awaken at 4 am by the dropping of the anchors.....kept awake all night long by strange noises and vibrations.......hot tubs always full of kids......pools that are small enough to be considered bath tubs...........im sure i could keep going......all of this ive experienced....didnt have to fabricate any of it......if this is the kinda stuff that floats your boat, then i guess cruising is for you.......

.....just tryin to post some factoids to keep it real.....i myself used to think that cruising offered the best value and bang for the buck.....i was wrong......i am still aware of benefits of cruising.....being able to see 3 ports in one vacation....having everything right there onboard at your convenience..........but for me the downsides outweigh the upsides.......and when you can find me a month cruise that cost as little as my month stay in cancun, ill jump right on it.........at least ive remained consistant in my views about cruising, even long before i did this land vacation.......there are so many things about cruising that just flat out sucks......limited times at port, standing in lines to eat...standing in lines to take pics....standing in lines for customer service...standing in line for the gala buffet....standing in line to get on and off the ship.....staying in a room thats too small with a shower thats too small.....gyms that are too crowded and you cant walk outside because the winds are blowing at 40 mph.....entertainment that belongs in a nursing home....fellow passengers that belong in nursing homes.....buffet food that belongs in nursing homes....tvs with hardly any channels......corny games....corny jokes....poor service in the dining rooms.....constant announcements......being awaken at 4 am by the dropping of the anchors.....kept awake all night long by strange noises and vibrations.......hot tubs always full of kids......pools that are small enough to be considered bath tubs...........im sure i could keep going......all of this ive experienced....didnt have to fabricate any of it......if this is the kinda stuff that floats your boat, then i guess cruising is for you.......

I appreciate your point of view. I have been there myself. Completely understand. We have had some fantastic land based vacations in Cabo San Lucas, and Maui. I didn't miss the lines, or all the food.

I think its good to read peoples different mind sets that they go through. At least if I go through the same thing, I will know, it does happen. I'm not the only one.:D

I don't really consider Cancun a "Caribbean land vacation," it's the same old tired Mexican resort vacation to me. Now I probably am less than enthusiastic because I'm from Texas and have had my opinion jaded from too many spring break Cancun vacations where everywhere you look someone is either acting like an a$$ or is puking their guts out and so many of the accomodations are just flat gross. But I do agree that condo beach vacations can be wonderful. We did the seven mile beach condo thing last year in Cayman with the kids and did a private villa St. Thomas vacation without the kids this fall, and I have to say they were just fabulous. Relaxed, no buffets or schedules to meet, just beautiful water, white sand, and lots of rest and relaxation. I like cruising, but after these two trips my husband vowed we will not be cruising anytime in the near future. My kids and I will have to really work on him to cruise again; he feels the same way about it as Robby.

To each his own; I personally see the merit in both types of vacations. Gotta say, though, being on a ship on the ocean and watching the sunset or a full moon shining down on nothing but ocean whilst enjoying one's favorite cocktail is hard to beat...

I can sympathize with you, Robby

I cruised the GLORY, PRIDE and LEGEND within a little over a year and for the first time ever was kinda glad to get off the ship. I love the sea and love cruising, but all the hassles you've named were finally getting to me. :(

When I can't cruise I frequently fly to Mexico. I don't do the condo/timeshare thing. I just find a cheap clean Mexican hotel. In Puerto Vallarta I go south across the Rio Cuale to the section of town where the Mexican tourists stay. I stay at an ancient hotel, half block from the beach, which has old furniture, old curtains but is absolutely immaculate for $20 per night. An ocean breeze comes up every afternoon about 1:00, open the patio doors and instant cooling. Doesn't even have a lobby (office is on 2nd floor and would be a broom closet anwhere else). The ground floor is a great little Cyber Cafe and get coffee and a croissant with 30 minutes of puter time for $3. :) Can purchase large amounts of time for 1/3 that cost !

Or eat at little mom and pop places for breakfast ( $1.50 for huevos rancheras and coffee), kill time on the beach people watching and swimming in the surf, take buses everywhere for 3 pesos (30 cents). Just mix with the Mexican people. I stay away from the touristy $300/night North shore hotels where all the employees speak English, but, in general, are rude and appear to dislike Americans. But I swim in their pools and hang out during 2 for 1 happy hour specials.

Sometimes I get a fabulous breakfast courtesy of the timeshare hawks. Interesting how their starting price of $35,000 drops to $6,000 the minute I tell them my ex-wife is a realtor. :rolleyes: Usually out of there in an hour or so and have the use of a jeep for 2 days. Used the jeep to go to the quaint little fishing villages of San Patricio, Melanque, and Manzanillo (further South). Can't beat it !

Its always a giggle to watch the price changes the day the cruise ships hit town . . . . LOL (a great little leather wallet I purchased on Tuesday for $5 was priced at $12 on Wednesday when the PRIDE is in town).

Wish you the best in your "quest" to find the absolute cheapest way to go. More power to yah. Incidentally, that makes one less cabin on the PRIDE that will be sold and maybe help my cruising costs. :D

Sometimes I get a fabulous breakfast courtesy of the timeshare hawks. Interesting how their starting price of $35,000 drops to $6,000 the minute I tell them my ex-wife is a realtor. :rolleyes: Usually out of there in an hour or so and have the use of a jeep for 2 days.

I'm a Realtor, I'll just tell them when it gets to the pressure part, "Hey I can go buy a listed one, for less and get paid commission for it"

I agree with you Robby, after our last cruise I was kinda feeling like it was a bit monotonous. For our honeymoon, we're doing a 7 night cruise to the Mex Riviera and then a week in Hawaii. I told my fiance if it was another Carib and not somewhere we havent' been, we wouldn't be cruising. I want to try a few land based vacations and CANCUN is one of them. I've never been there, something I gotta experience before I get too old :D Yes, I want the spring break experience, just once atleast..........although, if my fiance ends up on girls gone wild, I think i'd lose my mind. ha

jewopaho,

That's a great tactic! Where do you find the resale values? We're set to do a timeshare in Key West in a couple of months, and I'd love to use that to turn the sales people off. Usually we either say up front that we're not going to buy, so don't waste your time and just give us our gifts; or we stick with the story that we don't buy anything on the spur of the moment, so just give us the paperwork and we'll look it over when we get back home.

We did the time share thing in St. Thomas. The lady that signs you up talked us into doing it! We did get some nice perks out of it. An older couple that we know used to do this all the time in Florida about 10 years ago. They would go with their daughter and son - in - law and share one room. Then they would go to the time share to get the perks. After several years of doing this they ended up blacklisted!!!! They thought it was funny and when they told us we laughed so hard.:D

I can fully understand the post here. We normally do not like all-inclusive resorts, and don't like the "cattle-call" mentality of many cruise excursions, etc. I avoided cruising for years, because I thought I'd hate it. Through a strange turn of fate, I ended up in the travel business and decided that I should go on a cruise so I would be prepared to sell them.

I was presently surprised - I loved it, when I came in with an attitude, expecting to hate it. I convinced my husband (of the same attitudes as I) that he would enjoy it. And the same thing happened. He went in hesitant, and came out loving it. Since then, I've also found one all-inclusive resort that we really enjoy staying for a few nights.

I specialize in the Mexican Yucatan, so I know first-hand how cheaply we can stay in that area - Isla Mujeres is our favorite place - we were even married there. We enjoy staying on the island, and in Puerto Morelos, Akumal and Tulum. Cancun and Playa del Carmen have become so commercialized that we prefer to only spend a night or two there if we have to. I still spend a minimum of 30 days per year in Mexico. But, even though we can stay in Mexico very cheaply, cruising still has its strong points for me. I am not "working" so much as vacationing when I take a cruise. I enjoy being pampered and not having to worry about details once in a while. I just put a hold on 50 cabins for a group cruise with stops in San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas for next January, with Carnival - three places I have not been to yet, and want to visit. And I can accomplish this in one 7-day trip. That's hard to beat. And we are planning to take the kids - where else can you take kids for such a low price and keep them entertained and fed for a week, without any effort on your part?

Every destination and vacation type has its pros and cons. I will continue to take both land AND cruise trips from here on out. I'm sure that cruising will only amount to 7-17 days in a year, and land will account for 30+ days, but now that I've experienced cruising, I will continue!

spend a month in Mexico and you quickly realize that its EAT or BE EATEN... funnin.....not one ounce of guilt felt by me....Cancun is full of more crooks than you could fit on a cruise ship.....they will try and cheat you from every angle if you let them....

Maybe I'm missing something . . . we're saying that it's a *good* thing to spend a month here??? :confused:

Interesting stuff here. A vacation is geared to what you enjoy doing - and the fact that some choose to criticize others' choices makes no sense. I have very dear friends who wouldn't so much as look at a cruise line's brochure - but they're friends nonetheless. We've stopped trying to convince each other that our particular preferences are better (they're all-inclusive junkies) - we just don't talk about it.

Judyzoo - do a search for "timeshare resales." You'll find dozens of sites. Go through the inventories, which are usually broken down by region. You'll discover all the information you need - and of course, none of those prices are set in stone anyway.

I've done this several times, but the novelty seems to have worn off. When they fire their opening salvo (something like, "We're going to show you around, discuss the advantages, and then ask for a decision"), I respond with, "You will be getting 90 minutes of my time, as you have requested. If you can accomplish you objectives within that period, fine. If not, I'll be leaving, no matter where you are in the presentation - and I do keep track of the time." One or two spiels came close, and each time I looked the person (usually the "hit man") right in the eye, and pointed to my watch. I also interrupted one, saying, "My time commitment expires in five minutes," at which time I pulled out my paperwork, and explained that I'd be buying through the secondary market, if at all. Some owners have their units up for sale with the on-site agency; and the five-minute window doesn't give them enough time to research what's available. Right at minute #90, I interrupt whatever is going on, tell them that I've met my commitment, and ask that they honor theirs. Nobody is very happy, but there is nothing they can do.

Since I've begun cruising regularly, though, I haven't visited a timeshare. I'm in law enforecment, a high-stress occupation to be sure - and the last thing I need is to endure confrontational situations of my own doing. I guess that's why I enjoy cruising as much as I do. Lines, occasional screw-ups, an overcooked steak ... not a problem compared to what I deal with on a daily basis. Under no circumstances could I withstand seven timeshare presentations in a month. However ...

Robby - you have piqued my interest with respect to land-based vacations, and I will seriously look into the nuts and bolts. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated (my e-mail address is posted). Living in the Tampa Bay area, flights to eastern Mexico are generally inexpensive. I might attend just one timeshare presentation, just to keep my skills honed!

Al

Maybe I'm missing something . . . we're saying that it's a *good* thing to spend a month here??? :confused:
....my point being, IF you go to Mexico as a schmucky tourist, you WILL get taken advantage of.....same way that half the tourists getting off the cruiseships end up paying 50% too much for the silver trinkets they are buying........it pays to be a wise and informed consumer no matter what country you're in, but even more so outside the USA...........ISLA MUJERES is a great lil place!....we went there 3 different times during our cancun stay......i myself love the smaller places that arent so commercialized....but staying for one month there, I would run out of things to do and see.....I would love to vacation in Roatan or Playa Del Carmen or Belize or any of those more remote places......but a month can really drag on slowly when the place doesnt have a large variety of entertainment and things to do......Cancun stands out because of all the stuff they have to keep you busy....we went out every day/night during our month and never ran out of new places to eat and see.....go to Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel, etc, you'll see everything in a week and then what to do for the rest of the month?...............Im not saying im gonna be spending each and every vacation from here on out in Cancun....i AM saying that up til now, ive not experienced any vacation that was near as fun or as cheaply priced as my one in cancun...........i still have a cruise on RCCL booked for this december that ill prolly go on.....there are still some things about cruising that i like......though im having a hard time now trying to recall what they are........for those of you that get a kick out of getting your bed made and getting towel animals, watching the guest talent show, then i can see why cruising is for you........maybe its an age thang.....not that im a spring chicken, but i enjoyed going into a club in cancun and seeing it packed with 20 somethings and lookin like a MTV set........clubs on the ship are 1/4 full and filled with moms and dads........i just never feel that KEWL VIBE on a cruise........it just feels too much like im cruising with my parents.....

....my point being, IF you go to Mexico as a schmucky tourist, you WILL get taken advantage of.....same way that half the tourists getting off the cruiseships end up paying 50% too much for the silver trinkets they are buying........it pays to be a wise and informed consumer no matter what country you're in, but even more so outside the USA...........ISLA MUJERES is a great lil place!....we went there 3 different times during our cancun stay......i myself love the smaller places that arent so commercialized....but staying for one month there, I would run out of things to do and see.....I would love to vacation in Roatan or Playa Del Carmen or Belize or any of those more remote places......but a month can really drag on slowly when the place doesnt have a large variety of entertainment and things to do......Cancun stands out because of all the stuff they have to keep you busy....we went out every day/night during our month and never ran out of new places to eat and see.....go to Roatan, Cayman, Cozumel, etc, you'll see everything in a week and then what to do for the rest of the month?...............Im not saying im gonna be spending each and every vacation from here on out in Cancun....i AM saying that up til now, ive not experienced any vacation that was near as fun or as cheaply priced as my one in cancun...........i still have a cruise on RCCL booked for this december that ill prolly go on.....there are still some things about cruising that i like......though im having a hard time now trying to recall what they are........for those of you that get a kick out of getting your bed made and getting towel animals, watching the guest talent show, then i can see why cruising is for you........maybe its an age thang.....not that im a spring chicken, but i enjoyed going into a club in cancun and seeing it packed with 20 somethings and lookin like a MTV set........clubs on the ship are 1/4 full and filled with moms and dads........i just never feel that KEWL VIBE on a cruise........it just feels too much like im cruising with my parents.....

And why are you going on a cruise??????? After reading #53 and this post I'm thinking you are wasting your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i feel almost like im FORCED to take this next cruise.....the next one though will most likely be my last one for quite some time......the reasons i havent canceled this next cruise is strictly about the $$......we booked it onboard, so received $100 credit....we transfered the booking to Icruise where i have another $500 credit with them from using their credit card.......another $50 credit from Celebrities credit card....and another $100 credit for being a RCCL stockholder.....so with all the discounts, the cruise will cost me $250....i suppose i can endure the torture of a cruise for that price.......barely.....

i feel almost like im FORCED to take this next cruise.....the next one though will most likely be my last one for quite some time......the reasons i havent canceled this next cruise is strictly about the $$......we booked it onboard, so received $100 credit....we transfered the booking to Icruise where i have another $500 credit with them from using their credit card.......another $50 credit from Celebrities credit card....and another $100 credit for being a RCCL stockholder.....so with all the discounts, the cruise will cost me $250....i suppose i can endure the torture of a cruise for that price.......barely.....

Ok Robby, you know I am one of your supporters. But honestly, why pay $250 for torture:confused: . Take that $250 and go back to Cancun. That would get you a week there, from what your original post stated. Or... You secretly do like cruises, maybe just a little?:o

Oh, wait I have another idea, can I pay you $250 and you can transfer that cruise to me???? I'll pay to change the docs!!

Ok Robby, you know I am one of your supporters. But honestly, why pay $250 for torture:confused: . Take that $250 and go back to Cancun. That would get you a week there, from what your original post stated. Or... You secretly do like cruises, maybe just a little?:o

Oh, wait I have another idea, can I pay you $250 and you can transfer that cruise to me???? I'll pay to change the docs!!

LOL...im tempted by your offer!....i really am............if it wasnt for the food being included on a cruise, i would have very little incentive to go cruising again....eating the formal dinners at night are one of the few highlights while on the ship.....and then ducking out quickly before the waiters start singing...:).....i almost forgot how much i hate the singing waiters:).....see, the longer i sit here and remember my past cruises, the more stuff i remember that i dislike about them.....

Archived