Tips or no tips?

AWCHIEF

I think it is horrible , but it doesn't surprise me.

just because a person is Platinum, Diamond , Diamond plus, Milestone, or whatever superlative you want to add, does not make them the better passenger , or the last word on cruise behavior.

In some case it just means they have spent a lot of money on THEMSELVES to go on cruises.

Not all of them of course (put the flame thrower away) but a good number don't always throw that money around others peoples way (people that work hard for them and deserve it)

Thats why they have all that money to go cruising

Hmmm......taking the services of another with no intention of paying for them? There's a word for that...oh, what's the word, what's the word? :confused:

Scumbag

Cheapskate

Miserable Mother F'er

Am I getting warmer? *LOL*

we recently had our friends book a cruise with us. I thought i did a great job telling them everything until the next day when i realized i did not discuss tipping. I felt bad....i wanted them to know what they were financially getting themselves in to. (This is why i wanted them to book with our PVP!!!!) I told them about the $10 per day per person and they seemed a little shocked at the amount. I told them that where ever you go from the porters at the dock to the people that lead the excursions there will be an expectation of a tip. I told her that we leave the tips on auto pay and usually tip more at the end. We have never been on a cruise where someone has not bent over backwards to make sure we were having fun. If someone has cruised enough to be platinum, they KNOW the hidden costs of cruising. Newbies can be forgiven if something gets overlooked.....platinums can not.

The autotip is the bare minimum for good service on a cruise. If within that bare minimum one party provides bad service then they will not get a tip beyond the shared auto-tip. If someone goes above and beyond good service I see no reason NOT to personally tip them as well. Tipping is not a requirement or a sin that someone has to draw an opinion on for everyone else so I view the platinum cruiser who wrote to John's blog as simply a bore. I think his theory of tipping is just slightly less insulting than his bragging about his "Take and Stiff" method.

Ship services will not do bad things to you or your food if you do not tip. You will always get the same great first class service and that is the point. Some will tip when they see how the personnel go overboard to make your vacation memorable whether you tip, don't tip or are just a bore who can afford it, takes advantage of the amazing services, stiffs them, and then brags about it because they can and calls to others to do the same in an egocentric way. All the more reason to personally tip someone who helped make your vacation personal.

He can not tip if he wants, no matter the service. It is the bragging element that fries me. My advice to new cruisers though is to not concern yourself over the auto-tip as there are many behind the scenes making your trip wonderful who benefit from it when it is shared. Before auto tip sharing they went unrewarded for great service. And that is the important part...the auto-tip is shared by many directly and indirectly making sure you have a great cruise (names you will never know or see to tip) and a personal tip ups the amount to those directly impacting you like the dining room waiter going above and beyond the expected. Try to think of auto-tip as part of the cruise cost and if you find that others go beyond what is expected, feel free to personally tip them personally. They are pretty amazing as you will see. Don't buy into Platinum Cruisers mentality before you experience the amazing service you will recieve from many hard working people. They treat you like you are their favorite cruiser, and you may be.

Don't worry about tipping as you will know what to do.

I replied in John's blog about this, but have since calmed down;). Tipping is the norm here, and everyone knows it. This PC, if it is one, knows better and was just stirring the pot.

If you can't afford to tip

You can't afford the ship..

OK, I'm done now..whew:D

Peach, the Constant Cruiser

The one thing I will disagree with is tipping extra in advance. I had read on here that it was a good idea to tip $20 or so as soon as you got your cabin, so the steward would keep you flush with ice, etc. I found it to be the opposite. I get better service when I tip at the end versus the beginning. Just my 2 cent. :)

When you choose to work in any industry, you are told by management what you will be paid. You are free to accept it or not. Just because certain industries have been able to get away with paying low wages and making people depend on tips is not my problem. When I partake of those services, I am told how much it is before I purchase something. Then I am FREE to choose wether I wish to leave something extra for service that is better than average. MY CHOICE the same as it is their choice to accept that job with the wage they are being paid.

then certainly it is up to you to go to eating establishments where you serve yourself, and vacation where you do the same.

I can understand "newbies" who have booked through an internet site or through someone who did not thoroughly explain the other "costs" (ie tipping and parking at the port).

But for someone who knows that this is how these hardworking men and women receive the vast bulk of their SALARY and to knowingly deprive them of that salary is someone who is the infection in the puss that grows on the scum of the dirty residue in the toilet.

And I do have a tshirt that says.

Can't Afford To Tip

Stay Off Our Ship!

He knows that CC members read his blog.... maybe HE likes to stir the pot !!!

Heaven forbid.....after all, he is the CCL God according to some !

by now, i'm sure what makes the buzz fly.

just like we know which threads will have the most hits here. there is a list of buzz words for the taking.

Once again I will put in my .02 cents. Tips are supposed to be for Service above & beyond the norm. What the cruise lines have done is the same thing Govt has done. They call it something other than a Tax Increase. Cruise Lines add Tips instead of raising your Fare so they look like they are cheaper than the other guy.

Personally I would rather pay $ 10.00 more per day in Fare cost than get Nickeled & DImed on the actually cruise. Also many other countries (England I believe) doesnt believe in tipping the ay we in the Americas do. So there is always issues with people from those cultures.

I usually leave the tips alone, but I have had some cruises where I felt the service was not as good as it should have been, so I adjusted them to what I think was appropriate. And that is the KEY WORDS you will always hear from the Cruise lines. "The amount we reccommend is x.xx per day. But feel free to change it to whatever you feel approrpriate for the service rendered".

How does adding the tips make them look cheaper than the other guy if all the mass market lines add tips?:confused:

Bill

Sir John Heald himself even said that was a one time thing due to the ill fated swine flu cruise;)

Some of us have done the galley tour several times and no list to be seen......

it is not usually hung in the galley. the list exists. every cruise.

Discusting that he is platinum and braggs about stiffing the crew.

We are platinum and have on occasion adjusted auto tips either up or down (generally up) but to be proud of what he is doing the fellow is a jerk.

it is all heresay anyway....

really now...someone read on a blog that someone claiming to be platinum is claiming they take the tips off........:rolleyes:

How does adding the tips make them look cheaper than the other guy if all the mass market lines add tips?:confused:

Bill

I believe what they are trying to say is that as long as tips are handled in this manner, the cruise lines can still advertise "4 days starting at $299".

IF tips were added into the cost of the cruise...they should not advertise that.

However, IF the cruise lines treated the tips as what they truly are (a service surcharge)...then they could still advertise the low rates AND add it onto the bill at the time of booking like they didi the fuel surcharge.

I believe what they are trying to say is that as long as tips are handled in this manner, the cruise lines can still advertise "4 days starting at $299".

IF tips were added into the cost of the cruise...they should not advertise that.

However, IF the cruise lines treated the tips as what they truly are (a service surcharge)...then they could still advertise the low rates AND add it onto the bill at the time of booking like they didi the fuel surcharge.

most people would balk at the idea of a 15% of their cruisefare service charge, plus tax.

not sure why they think it's better to not only pay that, but also pay it up front.

there are reasons why some are not in their own business.

Archived