Pre Cruise Hotel Galveston

tinsel57

I seem to be hitting a number of them that are specifying minimum of two day stay. A few exceptionally pricy $150++ (!ouch) Tremont's booked. We're driving in 5 hours. WE'll be there long enough to eat dinner, relax for the night and board the ship after breakfast. So no time for beaching it. I'd like someplace I can park the car instead of paying the pier and get free transport to the ship..but so far, I've not found a room!!

tinsel57

Wow. I checked Expedia, and as you say, the main hotels (the Galvez, the San Luis, the Moody Gardens and the Tremont) are exorbitantly priced on Fridays. Even the LaQuintas are just under $150. Looks like everything's going to be at $100+ unless you go to Clear Lake. It does not seem like particularly good Texas hospitality does it?

Hi, we're staying at the Stacia Leigh B&B. It's a converted antique boat of some sort. It was a little pricey ($150) but that includes breakfast and they pay for parking at the port lot. And it's right by the pier.

Trish

The Harbor House is an excellent place to stay. It is right next door to the pier and for about $20.00 you can leave your car in the parking lot (they have security). The rooms are very nice. When we woke up the morning of our cruise we looked out the window, and there was the Rhapsody turning around right in front of us. Great choice, lots to see around the area of the hotel without getting in your car. If I cruise out of Galveston again (and I 'm sure I will) it will absolutely be where I stay.

I was also looking for a room in Galveston for the Saturday night before we cruise (sailing 5/9 on Rhapsody) and had the same issues. I finally settled on the Holiday Inn on the Beach. I got a king sized bed with a view of the Gulf for $136.85 including taxes. This is a "cruise parking & transportation" package, so, parking for the duration of the cruise, as well as transportation to and from the ship is included in the price. Pretty good deal considering parking alone would be about $60! It's not my first choice of hotels, but like you, we just need it to lay our heads at night. I made the reservation through the galveston.com website. There is a link there for cruise passengers looking for lodging and parking packages.

Good luck!!!

SiouxsieQ (Suzy Q)

The Commodore on the Beach hotel at 100.00 - that is CRAZY! I know that amount is correct (because I called them) but WOW! I stayed there last December (2003) for 49.00 and FREE transportation to and from the pier! Now they have doubled the price of the room and they now charge for the transport. TRUST me, the hotel is NOT worth that. They have VERY basic SMALL rooms the walls are brick and the carpet is indoor outdoor type. You can hear everything from the other rooms and from the walkway outside the door. The rooms are clean, but this is a MOTEL, not a HOTEL. A GREAT deal at 49.00, but NOT at 100.00.

I am checking out another hotel a friend recommended called the Sandpiper (it is on the same street in Galveston) They supposedly have rooms for 49.00, FREE parking and FREE cruise pier transport. This, too, is no resort, but supposedly clean rooms and nice people.

Just thought I would let you all know icon_smile.gif

Keli

December 15 Adventure of The Seas!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2002;12;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;12;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Rhapsody BIRTHDAY CRUISE - Happy Birthday To Me!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I am willing to try another hotel if I can get a better deal. I know the commodore is nothing to write home about. My biggest problem is they don't want to book just a Sat night room, they prefer a weekend booking hence the inflated price.Some of the hotels, including those listed on the Galveston list, won't even let me have a room unless I book two nights! At the time I checked, the only other option for my date was the Holiday Inn Beach front where parking and transport was free but the room was also $129 or 139, I can't remember which.

My plan was to book SOMETHING and keep checking back to see if I could get a better deal and a better price. Who knows.

That's Galveston for you. All puffed up over a little cruise business.

tinsel57

I have decided to go with the Stacia Leigh in Galveston. It is a yacht docked a pier 22. They have 11 Staterooms and got good reviews from Frommers and others.

Here is the link:

http://www.stacia-leigh.com/cgi-bin/admin.cgi?action=set_affiliate&affiliateid=527&banner=3

They keep your car for free and have porters who come and take your luggage to the ship. Also, this is a bed abd breakfast - can't beat that icon_biggrin.gif

Happy hotel hunting icon_smile.gif

Keli

December 15 Adventure of The Seas!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2002;12;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;12;14;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;10;10;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Keli be sure to let us know what you thought. I found a few not so glowing reports on Travelocity, siting small rooms, no place to put your clothes, drapes that can be seen though and one room that had a leak that wet through the covers clear to the mattress! They said they left a note for the ownere cause they couldn't find them and never heard back from them regarding the leak. Ended up sleeping with their feet in a wet spot. I know you can't please everyone! But I would love to hear from others that stayed here. So be sure to check back in after your great trip.

tinsel57

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all -

We're coming in to Galveston for 2 nights before our 9/19 sailing on the Rhapsody. There are so many conflicting hotel reports, and the nice ones are very expensive. Any advice on a relatively inexpensive hotel within walking distance of restaurants and attractions? We're thinking of staying at one of the LaQuinta's but wanted to get advice from anyone who's stayed there before. Thanks!

Well, since my last post I have booked a room at the Harbor House Pier 21, based on all the great reviews. I'll have to let everyone know if it's as good as they say....

Nordic Empress 9/98

Married on Rhapsody of the Seas 11/98

Nordic Empress 12/02

Voyager of the Seas 1/04

Countdown to Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise 9/04

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://lewiscrest.org/java-sys" width="203" height="21">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value="2004">

<param name="month" value="9">

<param name="day" value="19">

<param name="hour" value="17">

<param name="TZ" value="GMT-6">

</applet>

Kelina & OKBrenda,

I also would love to hear from you both regarding your stays in Galveston. I live in KS & the other couple cruising with us on 1/2/05 Rhapsody is from Oklahoma. We are wanting to book starting 12/30/04 to 1/2/05 in Galveston. Also any tips you want to pass along will be wonderful.

Well the Staci Leigh sunk! So Kelina has to make other arrangements.

I finally gave up. I am trying to get in at the Dolphin and Mermaid. As long as I am going to spend the money I might as well get a nice place. After all, it's vacation. I skimped plenty when the kids were growing up so the heck with it.

tinsel57

Yeah, my hotel sunk icon_frown.gif Oh well we are now staying at Wyndham's Hotel Galvez and will report back after we come home icon_smile.gif

Kelina

HAL Rotterdam EASTERN CARIBBEAN 1983

HAL Statendam ALASKA 2001

RCI Adventure of the Seas SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN 2002

RCI Rhapsody of the Seas WESTERN CARIBBEAN 2003

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a lot of hunting for good hotels in Galveston, but I can't believe the prices for this summer! We were there in March and payed too much to stay at the Best Western Beachfront, although they did have continental breakfast (fair) and allowed free parking for the week. No free shuttle, had to pay taxi each way (about $12 + tip each way). It was just an ok place, and now they want about $150 + taxes for it! not worth it!

I've just read over on the Carnival board about ezcruiseparking.com at Galveston, and went to their website. Parking for a 7 day cruise is only $35 and they shuttle you to/from the pier, so I may end up booking a hotel in Houston, for much less $$$$, then pay the $35 to park there for the week, as we're driving in from Nebraska. Just a thought.

Penny

Disney Magic~~Eastern 7/03

Carnival Celebration~~Western 3/04

Aug 1, 2004 Carnival Elation--Yippee, Our 3rd Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

• 3 weeks later...

From someone who lived outside of Galveston for years and still have family there... Galveston beach is gross. Don't swim there. They constantly warn people about the currents and people swim anyway and every year a few people die.

For a nicer place (and cheaper prices/better rooms) look for something in Clearlake. (about a 20 minute drive from the pier)

Cristin

If you've never been to Galveston you need to understand that this is not really an east/west coast resort area. It's a very old sea town, in most areas worse for wear, some areas down right scary! Oh sure, there are 'highlights' here and there but it's not really the place to beach it if you have other alternatives.

Since the cruising industry came in prices have sky rocketed for hotels and parking. If you don't care about driving in the morning of your departure you're liable to get nicer accommodations for a more reasonable price outside of Galveston. If you want to stay in Galveston you are more limited in your choices and pricing.

I also find though galveston.com is convenient, you may be able to do better rate wise searching on your own or watching the individual hotel specials.

Bed and breakfasts which are about the same prices as the higher level Galveston hotels don't usually take a Sat night only res, however if they're not full, they will. That is another option. Sometimes you can get a really great room with superior customer service this way.

Just another alternative.

Also keep in mind for most people it's only a one night stay. So do what's convenient for you in your price range.

Archived