Which cruise for us?

Twolittleboys

Please help, I am driving my family crazy with my indecision!:confused:

I know it is a very common question, but I really need help deciding on a cruise! I have only been on a cruise once before and that was over 25 years ago as a teenager. Things seem to have changed quite a bit since then!

This time I would be travelling alone with my two boys, 6 and 8 years old. After reading here on the boards, looking at various cruise line websites and doing some research I have narrowed it down a bit (aren't you glad I don't just ask which cruise we should go on?). It seems that Royal Caribbean would be a good choice as most people seem to like the kids club there, the routes are interesting and the ships look like they would be fun.

At the moment I am considering two different cruises:

The first (Mariner) would be 11 nights in April (Easter), starts in Rome and visits Athens, Ephesus, Rhodes, Istanbul, and Naples.

The second cruise is a 12 night long one in June (Brilliance), starts in Barcelona and visits Villefranche, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna, and Dubrovnik.

A bit more background about us: The boys have done some travelling, are used to walking quite a bit, and are accustomed to using public transportation. They are quite interested in sight-seeing (at least the 8 year old). We visited London last year and had a really good time seeing lots of sights so I believe they would enjoy the ports. Of course I would cut down on the number of sights so that it won't be too stressful.

Here is what I am thinking about the two choices so far:

Advantages of first choice:

Mariner of the Sea seems to be a bit bigger and maybe more fun than the other ship (ice rink). However, that probably won't make a huge difference as the whole experience will be new to us.

Departure in Rome would be an advantage as we could add a day or two and so have more time to see the city (which I think would be even better than an extra day in Barcelona).

This trip is a bit less expensive.

I would really love to see Istanbul and think the kids would enjoy it too.

Disadvantages:

Not sure if Easter will be a good time (weather may be too cool, places closed due to holiday)

Trip is fairly soon and there won't be as much time to get ready for it (I want to read books etc. with the boys so that they know something about what they will see)

Advantages of second choice:

I really would like to go to Venice and that seems a great port for the kids as well.

Also, I would like to visit Florence and Monaco.

This trip would give the kids a pretty good impression of Italy (Florence, Rome, Naples, Venice, Ravenna).

I think I would maybe feel more confident touring on our own in Spain/Italy than I would in Turkey/Greece.

Looking at this it seems there are more positives for the trip on Mariner of the Sea but actually I am very torn. As far as the ports are concerned, I can't decide whether Venice or Istanbul would be more interesting.

However, I am sure there are many considerations I haven't even thought of. So I would really appreciate it any input, especially if you have travelled on one of these two ships and/or to these ports!

Lots of places WILL be closed during Easter....sounds like the 2nd choice is the one for you.

Yes...Mariner is a great ship, but you seem to be cruising for the ports...and what good are they if everything is shut down for a holiday? Both of your kids are old enough (and the perfect age!) for AO...Brilliance is a gorgeous ship, with plenty to do... All other things being equal, I'd go for the ports (and one extra day!)

I would actually do anything to avoid cruising in Europe during the summer if at all possible, so I was going to vote for April, but I'd def look into what cb says about how much is closed and for how long. We went in January and were happy to have avoided the hot weather and crowds of June.

I wouldn't concern myself with the ship since for a Europe itinerary it really becomes mostly a hotel and there aren't that many sea days to make it a decision-breaker.

Barcelona is a fantastic city for kids and a great place to have a few days before/after a cruise. But for me and my kids, Ephesus was a thrill and I'd lean toward that itinerary for the chance to see that amazing site. Of course, as long as everything doesn't close all week for Easter.

I did private tours alone with my kids in Ephesus and Cairo, so I've found that as long as you choose a well-regarded tour company, it's all safe to do. You can also join up with other families on your roll call for private kid-friendly tours, which is what we did in Rome and had a ball. The great thing about the private tours is they're cheaper and you get to choose your own itinerary and pace and cut out the "factory" shopping stops that kids hate.

Best,

Mia

We have visited all of these ports, except for Ravenna and Rhodes, with our 2 kids. I don't think you'll have any problem on your own with in Turkey and Greece, at least from our experience. Istanbul is really easy and nice for kids because you don't have to travel very far (?10 min) on the tram directly from port to the historical sights. Athens is also really easy to get around, once you get to the Acropolis area. It's just a very nice walking place. We took a taxi directly from port to Syntagma Square to see the changing of the guard, and then walked to the Plaka and Acropolis, but you could also walk (1/2 hour) to the metro. The best way to see Ephesus is a private tour (very inexpensive). For the Brilliance, Rome and Florence are far away from the ports (Civitavecchia and Livorno, respectively), but reachable by train. The kids would probably like the train ride, too. Venice is great for kids who like walking and riding boats, i.e., the vaporetti. From Naples you can tour Pompeii or Capri. Dubrovnik is a walking city. I recommend the aquarium for the best bathrooms in town and walking the ramparts for the best views. In summary, you can't go wrong with either itinerary. For more information, check the Europe ports of call board. Have a great trip.

I don't think places will be closed during easter :confused: why should they be? It's a higly touristic period, sometimes good weather, deffinitly better chances of great weather in June. However, the ports you are visiting in June don't really demand for very good weather (not really beach places, loved Villefranche for ex, but Nice is a dreadfull beach compared to other beaches). Even in Dubrovnik you'll probably be visiting the city rather than going to the beach. So maybe just better to use the pool but I'm sure your kids have plenty if pools at home it's not really a reason to choose a cruise.

I know all the ports except Ravenna and Dubrovnik and all are amasing, there's so much to do and see, all lovely places... Maybe you can also think of which dates are more favorable for your children? Won't they be missing school in June?

Also had no problems in Greece and Turkey, can only say the best about them.

I personally don't see June as a month of crowds, so I wouldn't worry about that either. Things will be lively but just about the same as during easter time when everyone is on vacation (whereas in June kids are still at school so it's not that crowded).

Florence and Rome are a bit complicated to visit (except as departure point as is probably the case in Rome) because they're quite far from the port areas...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all your input/ideas. I really appreciate it. I think you are right that for this cruise the ship isn't too important (we are planning on seeing all the ports). Also, both itineraries are great. My boys are especially interested in seeing Naples (well, Pompeii really).

Thinking it over, it pretty much came down to two considerations: timing and price. While we are definitely not going for the beaches, I do want the weather to be nice as I find it much more enjoyable to tour cities in sunny weather. April is rather early and looking at prior years' weather there seems to be a chance it would be quite cool/rainy in several ports. I don't think June should be too hot so the timing is definitely an advantage for the trip on Brilliance (my kids have a two week vacation that coincides with the travel dates). Also, this trip will give us more time to prepare (I have already ordered a pile of books about Ancient Rome).

But the final decision was actually due to pricing. For a while it seemed that the Istanbul cruise would be substantially cheaper (it still has quite a bit of availability in spite of it being in just a bit over 6 weeks). However, I have now gotten a really good deal on the Venice cruise (the second child will pay a special children's price which is only about 1/3 of the normal third person fare). So it seems this is the trip we will take!

Thanks again for all the help!

Second choice is the best for you as per my suggestion,

Perfect and proper one, Best destinations and great for children. I think you get more enjoy and fun with this second option.

Hi there,

I can't be of any help with the ships, but I do know a little bit about the ports. I think if it was me, I would go for the second option.

Dubrovnik is stunning and is easy to do without paying for any shore excursions. Sitting on deck with breakfast and cruising into Dubrovnik is a memory I will never forget.

We paid for a tour of the wall and ended up leaving it part way through as it was more enjoyable strolling it at our own pace.

Besides London (which I love for sentimental reasons), Barcelona was my favourite city in all of Europe. The Architecture is amazing and very unlike anything I saw anywhere else in Europe. If you get a chance to visit the Palau e la musica catalana, do so. It is much less known than all of Gaudi's stunning buildings, but equally as brilliant.

Also, not to throw a spanner in the works, but are there any cruise options which visit the gorgeous Greek Islands of Mykonos and Santorini? Oia Village in Santorini is hands down the most breath-taking place I've ever been to. Plus your kids would probably love the donkey or cable car ride up the steep cliffside. I would cruise there again in a heart beat.

Archived