Train station from cruise terminal in Venice

CHS

Hello We will be sailing out of Venice on May 13th aboard the Splendour of the Seas and returning back into Venice on May 23rd from our 10 day cruise. From Venice we will be leaving on a train to go to Rome to stay for a few days. My question is should we get our train tickets before we leave to go on the cruise or wait until we get back. Also how far is the train station from the cruise terminal? Can we walk to the train station from the terminal or do they have a bus shuttle to take you to the train station?

Thanks for any info

Fran

The problem is you will have your cruise luggage with you. There are no shuttles to the train station as it lies in the no motor vehicles zone of the city.

You might consider taking a land taxi to the train station in the nearby city of Mestre which is just across the causeway from Venice. It might be the easiest choice.

Otherwise if you want to get to the station IN Venice you'd have to either walk over a humpback bridge(steps up , over the top, then down) or take a vaporetto(water bus) one stop to the train station after getting yourselves to Piazzale Roma, the main square.

If it were my trip I'd probably just take the land taxi to Mestre. You can buy your train tickets ahead if you know which train you'd like to catch. You might even save some money that way.

You can take 1 euro people mover to P.Roma & walk across the bridge to Santa Lucia station. That walk is about 5 min but involves bridge crossing. Otherwise take taxi from dock to Venezia Mestre station (as suggested in previous post) and take train from there. Almost all Rome based trains stop at Mestre.

We plan to take the train from Rome to Venice on June 11. We are in Rome for 5 days prior. We had looked at the 745 am train with arrival bebore noo. From the comments here it sounds like Maestre is the best bet. We will be hauling 2 suitcases each so a land taxi would be ideal. Thanks for that advice.

I did see a comment that we could wait to purchase our train tickets the week we are in Rome. Since we are anxious to get an early train, my wife thinks the train may be sold out on this Saturday and we may have to wait for another connection. What are the service fees for getting an advance ticket on line verses just waiting? Thanks

I did see a comment that we could wait to purchase our train tickets the week we are in Rome. Since we are anxious to get an early train, my wife thinks the train may be sold out on this Saturday and we may have to wait for another connection. What are the service fees for getting an advance ticket on line verses just waiting?

If you purchase through a third party the fees can be considerable. If you can get the Trenitalia site to accept your credit card (it can be hit or miss, unfortunately) there is no charge, as I recall.

This is almost zero chance of being sold out, especially if you stop and buy your train ticket several days in advance. Since you will be in Rome for five days, you'll have plenty of time to do this. However, I understand that some people can't relax and enjoy their vacation unless all of these details are taken care of ahead of time, so if that's what it takes to make your wife comfortable, have a go at the Trenitalia site.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies on this matter. Since we will be in Venice a few days before we sail I think we will just check out all of the options and decide what will fit our means the best. Right now it looks like the People Mover cross over bridge and onto the train station.

Thanks

Fran

Archived