Is Sign & Sail considered a photo ID?

croozluv

What will you do to get home if your "hotel" sails away with your passport on it ?

Didn't you read the other thread? It's not a major hassle! Just a couple of phone calls and you're on your way.;)

(That's a little light sarcasm, BTW.)

And I'm with you, but I'd like to point out that the Department of State is pretty moot on the particular issue of cruise passengers but gives advice on the safest place for a passport is in a hotel safe.

It won't. If you don't make the ship, the standard procedure is for security to retrieve your passport from your safe and leave it with the port agent before the ship departs.

If it is a port where you need to take the passport off the ship with you, they let you know.

At all other ports a photocopy of the passport is all that is needed for ID purposes. A driver's license is only needed if you will be driving.

If you are robbed, the photocopy is of no use to the thief and there is no hassle in getting it replaced (quick, easy and free), unlike needing to get a replacement passport, or even a driver's license.

"Everyone" says this is standard procedure. But where is it stated in CCL's policies and literature?

"Everyone" says this is standard procedure. But where is it stated in CCL's policies and literature?

I don't believe it is standard procedure......I believe if someone knows they will not make it back to the ship in time whether for medical or whatever reason......then they can contact the port and they will retrieve your passports and whatever else is needed........

They are not going to go thru someones belongings looking for a passport to leave with the port authority out of the goodness of their heart because someone lost track of time sitting at a bar stool ...LOL!

"Everyone" says this is standard procedure. But where is it stated in CCL's policies and literature
There are a great many things that can go wrong at ports that are not stated in any cruise line's promotional material for passengers. There is no way they could include all the possible "what if's" that may occur.

Next time you are on a cruise ship, ask the captain. It is not done "out of the goodness of their heart" (as another poster said) but rather it is routinely done because that is the standard procedure followed in such circumstances.

This subject has come up previously on ships in discussions with the ship's officers, so it is nothing new. But regardless of what answer they receive, people will typically continue to do whatever they feel most comfortable doing, just as in most other matters.

There are a great many things that can go wrong at ports that are not stated in any cruise line's promotional material for passengers. There is no way they could include all the possible "what if's" that may occur.

Next time you are on a cruise ship, ask the captain. It is not done "out of the goodness of their heart" (as another poster said) but rather it is routinely done because that is the standard procedure followed in such circumstances.

This subject has come up previously on ships in discussions with the ship's officers, so it is nothing new. But regardless of what answer they receive, people will typically continue to do whatever they feel most comfortable doing, just as in most other matters.

So they are going to just go search someones cabin and look for their passports?

No, not the entire cabin. Only the safe.

Oh then so what if they don't have the passport in the safe.... are they going to go thru their luggage, handbags, dresser:confused:

I don't think it works that way lol!.......this is why they tell you to take the fun times which has the contact number incase you are delayed for any reason....then they can assist you.......

We will be traveling on the Legend to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan and Grand Caymen.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid....another passport debate! I do understand the importance of taking a passport, I will just choose not to. The risks of losing it or having it stolen are viable risks TO ME, and I will MAKE SURE I don't miss the ship, which, from what I can gather, would be the only reason for taking your passport ashore. (right?)

My question specifically concerns what is required to get on/off the ship. I think someone here (sorry I'm not referencing your name but thank you!) answered by saying your SS is all that is required to get on/off the ship, but some ports require further government issued ID, which can be either a drivers license or passport. Different ports vary on what is required to gain access/leave that particular port.

I'm thinking this is the correct answer?

We will be traveling on the Legend to Cozumel, Belize, Isla Roatan and Grand Caymen.

This is exactly what I wanted to avoid....another passport debate! I do understand the importance of taking a passport, I will just choose not to. The risks of losing it or having it stolen are viable risks TO ME, and I will MAKE SURE I don't miss the ship, which, from what I can gather, would be the only reason for taking your passport ashore. (right?)

My question specifically concerns what is required to get on/off the ship. I think someone here (sorry I'm not referencing your name but thank you!) answered by saying your SS is all that is required to get on/off the ship, but some ports require further government issued ID, which can be either a drivers license or passport. Different ports vary on what is required to gain access/leave that particular port.

Yes....

Yes......different ports have different requirements for letting you back into the area where the ships are.

I do recall that last time I was in Cozumel a photo idea was required. I do not remember about Grand Cayman or Belize and I have not been to Roatan.

The requirements for re-entering the pier area were always stated in the Capers (now FunTimes) when I sailed in the past.

I DID actually have a slight problem with this one time.....I accidentally left my "photo id" (I will refrain some stating eactly what type to keep away any debates opening ;)) on the ship. I found it sitting on the desk where I had been getting my stuff together after we got back......somehow I did not put it in my bag....anyway......I explained to the officers at the gate that I must have dropped it in my cabin. I was with my 13 y.o. DD (who did not require photo id) and I asked if she could go up to the cabin and retrieve it for me. They wound up just letting me through without it. BUT you can be darn sure I double-triple-quadruple check every time since then!

Although there is no picture on your sail and sign card, when you reboard the ship and they drop it in the scanner, your picture comes up on their screen, so essentially, yes this is a picture ID. I have never carried my passport off the ship, but after reading a couple responses here, it may make sense in the event of an accident and you can't leave when the ship does.

But to answer the question the S&S is all I have ever been asked for.

Tim

I would disagree. When we cruised on the Legend a few months ago, we were specifically asked for our S&S card and a photo ID when we were boarding after being off the ship in the Western Caribbean. I remember kind of freaking out in Cozumel because I couldn't find my passport for a minute...I knew if I didn't have it, DH could go look in the room. I did find it in my beach bag, but still...there was a moment when my heart stood still! :eek:

It won't. If you don't make the ship, the standard procedure is for security to retrieve your passport from your safe and leave it with the port agent before the ship departs.

If it is a port where you need to take the passport off the ship with you, they let you know.

At all other ports a photocopy of the passport is all that is needed for ID purposes. A driver's license is only needed if you will be driving.

If you are robbed, the photocopy is of no use to the thief and there is no hassle in getting it replaced (quick, easy and free), unlike needing to get a replacement passport, or even a driver's license.

Wrong...I have watched too many people running for the ship as it is leaving the port...

I would love to see where it says what you are saying is standard procedure...

Ask the people that slapped a cop in Antigua and got thrown in the slammer if the ship sent their passports to the dock before leaving...Not!!!

Just two words...

Accidents happen....;)

Oh then so what if they don't have the passport in the safe.... are they going to go thru their luggage, handbags, dresser:confused:
No, as previously stated, they only check the safe.

That is why we keep our passports in the safe, not in luggage, handbags, dresser, secret compartment or anywhere else.

I don't believe it is standard procedure......I believe if someone knows they will not make it back to the ship in time whether for medical or whatever reason......then they can contact the port and they will retrieve your passports and whatever else is needed........

They are not going to go thru someones belongings looking for a passport to leave with the port authority out of the goodness of their heart because someone lost track of time sitting at a bar stool ...LOL!

I agree. As a long time fan of the Cozumel Marathon, I've never noticed anyone from the ship taking documents or anything else from the ship to the officials ashore for those drunkards who are left behind....and someone is almost always left behind there.....

So they are going to just go search someones cabin and look for their passports?

No, they are not.

If a passenger needs to be removed or evacuated from the ship due to medical or other emergency, their things will be packed up for them, passport and other items retrieved.

If you miss the ship...at a normal stop.....you are on your own. They don't gather your passport and run it to the immigration authorities or port agent....

It simply isn't done.

What about DL and a color copy of your passport? Wouldn't that expedite things if the ship left without you and you had to fly to catch up?

No. A copy of your passport is worthless. It is not proof of citizenship and it won't permit you to fly.

If you miss the ship, you'll need to contact the nearest American embassy or consolate and have a new one made....providing you have that copy handy to give them the passport number, etc.

If you are in Cozumel, for instance, the closet Embassy/Consolate is in Merida.

What ID is essential for getting on/off the ship in port?

When I leave, I take S&S, DL, credit card and cash needed. I leave PP and extra cash in the cabin's safe.

I'm into ease, taking bare necessities and don't need extra stuff to lose......

Archived