Seasickness

Uri1961

There are non prescription pills at your local pharmacy.

Dramamine II , the non drowsy kind has the ingredient Meclazine which is also found in the pill Bonine.Some pharmacies have their own brand with just the Meclizine name. You take the pills BEFORE the ship starts moving and he should be fine. IF he has never taken it before he should try it while you are at home. I take one pill a day but my DH needs 2 one at night and one in the AM so everyone is different.

Other folks will tell you to just take ginger pills or have bands on your wrist. You have to try each to see what works best for you .

The Myth Busters guys on Discovery Channel tested every seaksickness remedy by whirling people in a motorized office chair until they hurled, then tested them with the remedies. Ginger pills won hands down.

Start them several days before the cruise. One a day works for my DW who gets motion sickness backing up in a car if she's not the driver.

We've been through some fairly rough seas without any problems with the ginger capsules.

The "myth busters" don't seem to know that everyone's body is different and reacts differently to ginger or meds.

Only YOU can tell what is best for YOUR body!

Well, Myth Busters tested multiple subjects and multiple remedies. All I'm saying is ginger capsules worked best for their test subjects, and works best for us.

I get motion sickness easily [on a horse! snorkling!], but in 12 cruises I have only had 2 sick days and I do not take a thing! The first time was in the Med going from Italy to Greece and 80% of the people were sick! It was rough. The second time was on the @#^* water taxi from Cozumel to Cancun. Because we had to tender into Coz that trip, the port was using that taxi as an extra tender. It should have been a 5 minute ride; it took 90 minutes to connect up to the ship because the weather changed so fast. I was green by the time I go off. But never while cruising except for that one time. You just never know.

Hubby very concerned that he will get seasick while cruising. Does anyone have a remedy that has worked for them?

I'm one who has suffered from motion sickness (including seasickness) since I was a child. But I've never let it stop me from cruising. And believe me, I've tried just about everything.

A little motion - I wear SeaBands. May be just a psychological effect, but they work.

A lot of motion - Meclizine. But it makes me drowsy so I try to avoid if at all possible (which sometime I can't).

My husband and I took our first cruise and was concerned ourselves about getting seasick and ruining our vacation. We choose to do the patch prescribed by our doctor and had no trouble with any nausea at all. This is not for everyone just something to think about. We actually saw alot of people on the ship wearing them. I am sure he will do fine, Happy Cruising!:DT

Hubby very concerned that he will get seasick while cruising. Does anyone have a remedy that has worked for them?

I have gotten so many great ideas from all of you. Thank you!! Keep them coming!!

My hubby is a cancer survivor (Leukemia), I always research any natural pills or medicines he takes,

This is the first cruise we will be taking since he was diagnosed so it is very special since he fought a big monster of an illness and won!!

Interestingly, the crew on several trips recommended eating a green apple. I've never tried it, but some say it works :) Both Ginger capsules and Bonine work well for me and my husband but, occasionally Ginger causes upset stomach for some.

We cruised on our own boat..42 feet in length..and I would get seasick everytime we went out into the ocean or if we were just wallowing in one place. We have been on many cruises and I have only been mildly queasy a couple of times. The size of the ship really matters.....there is a big difference in where you are on the ship as well......so the first thing I would suggest is to be sure to get a room near the center of the ship and on one of the lower decks, not the lowest....I find that the meclizine that I get from the doctor is better for me than Bonine or Dramamine, and I don't think I get as drowsey either. I know it may be the same but I really think the prescription worked better. Once when i was quite queasy, the cabin steward brought me gingerale, apple slices and crackers. I agree with the member who said that it helps not to eat small amounts often and not large meals. When we were on a cruise going from Sicily to Rome, it was very rough in the dining room which was in the bow so I went back to my room, took a meclizine and felt better almost right away. I also take some candied ginger and put it in tea. After a couple days, your body adjusts to the motion and you may not need anything at all.

two precautions.......If you take other prescription meds, make sure you do not take them all at once with the meclizine..check with your doc....and I have used the patches when we were on our boat and they made me very ill and very doty and confused. so, as others have said, try these at home before you go. I also get something from my doctor that is strong enough to knock me out if it gets really rough,,I take them with me..again, maybe it is psycological but I have never used them but feel better knowing they are there. Have a great trip! L

Most of the seasick meds are used to prevent seasickness and don't usually work well once you begin to experience it. We've tried patches and Dramamine and the Less Drowsy 24 hour Dramamine works best for us. We take one the night before we sail and then 1 at dinner. You can take them every 12 hours but we seldom need to. We found an oil "Motion Ease" just before our last cruise and it works exceptionally well if you are experiencing seasickness. A drop rubbed into the skin behind the ear, stops the seasickness immediately.

I found it at Walmart next to the Dramamine and Bonine. It has pepperment oil, lavendar oil, francensence and myrh. Smells a little strong for just a few minutes but no side effects.

As someone above stated, people react differentially to different remedies. The best thing is to check with your doctor, if on medications, to ensure whatever you take won't interact with your prescriptions. For example, ginger can cause problems with blood thinners.

If this is not a concern, then just try different things ahead of time on land. See what may cause side effects for you. Then narrow down to a few and take those with. See if you can start taking one of them right before your cruise to get it working.

Personally, many things make me drowsy so I've tried ginger (in candied form, which is found at many grocery stores, and ginger flavored Altoids -- places like Cost Place have that). The Hawaiian cruises (my last two) do involve rough seas, so I know these work for me. We also had mid ship cabins on these cruises. I haven't really had problems with far forward cabins on smoother cruises.

My mother is one of the most susceptible to motion sickness people I know. On her one cruise, she got the patch from her doctor. No problem at all.

Archived