Just off the Eclipse--will answer questions

sparkle56

Thanks the reason I asked was that we went there on the Summit in 2008 and absolutely loved it. Our dream is to return one day and stay there at least for one night. I can only imagine how glorious it would be at night.

My wife was born and raised in the suburbs of Athens. We were married there and went on our honeymoon to Santorini. As you know, pictures do not do the island justice, it's just one of those place that you have to experience, the sunsets, the nightlife, the Black beach, the Red Beach, the ruins, etc... It is an awesome place, but really, you can't go wrong with any Greek island. We go to Greece every other year, and over the years we have been to many different islands. Santorini is great, but don't pass up a chance to visit ANY of the islands. They all have their own beauty. And btw, Santorini was a destination way before 1982 and the release of Summer Lovers. :)

I don't want to hijack Sparkle's thread and wonderful thorough review, but since she may not get to Roatan for a while, I will answer Sue...my review for Sante is on the Roatan board in "How was Sante" thread and on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d648774-Reviews-Sante_Wellness_Center_Day_Spa-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html In a word..Sante was superb. Wonderful day, already booked a return visit!

And Kelly GA...I second what Sue said. Thetford Gray gave us one of the best island tours I have ever had in the Caribbean. Such a knowledgable gentleman showing you the best of beautiful St. Kitts.

Gayoung - we have reservations for Sante with our Eclipse sailing on March 5. Any comments, reviews, suggestions?

Kelly G.A. - we highly recommend Thenford Grey.. Amazing man, so honest (I left my wallet accidentally and he came back to give it to me at the dock. The "police" or "security" at the dock had called him, but he had already realized it and came back.) He would not take a tip, even though we tried (and meant it). Great combination of history, reality (poverty), beach and beauty. He'll take your pictures, and be sure you are well hydrated! If you just want a beach, I don't think you could go wrong with the Marriott St. Kitts. It looked stunning, but we did not stop there.

Rob & Susan

Sante is Great!! We are already booking for next year.....David had the Espiritu package, I had the Noni package. We both had facials and lunch...We got back to the ship before 3(we had Leon take us back to our taxi around 2)....Tell Angela that David and Gary said Hello!!!

Sparkle, did you happen to notice if Park West was running the art auctions or was it another company? We were on the Solstice in April 2009 and another company (British Auctions or something similar--I think the initials were BA) was doing the auctions. We were very disappointed. The auctioneers were not very knowledgeable or friendly, even when we were buying and almost all of the art was giclees instead of true lithographs or originals. They told us that their company had the contract on the Solstice class ships and Park West was still doing the auctions on the other Celebrity ships. We are so hoping they didn't win Celebrity over and take over for Park West!

You might want to grab a cup of coffee before you start reading. I seem to have plenty to say.

Truffle, the Art Auction was not conducted by Park West, it was a different company. However, I don't remember what the name of it was but it seemed to me it was American, not British.

The main auctioneer was from Wisconsin, middle America, down to earth. Well dressed. Articulate. But he was more in the mode of "Go, Packers" than he was in the mode of "art auctioneer." He and his assistant were very friendly, and not smarmy.

It was a better experience than we had on HA which was the worst onboard art auction ever. But, we ended up not actually having an auction.

It was SuperBowl Sunday, there were only about a dozen people at the art auction because of it, so the auctioneer gabbed with us for a while and said "there is no point in having an auction with this few people so if you see something you want, ask, I'll tell you the opening bid and you can have it for that." They were nice about answering questions and getting information. We did see one piece we liked but the fun was kind of gone out of the experience.

I work in the arts. That's my occupation. So I know this stuff is not "real" nor is it particularly collectible in terms of being an investment. We buy what we like. We aren't wealthy enough to be in the league of big time collectors and investors, but we like interesting stuff around us. Who created it, how popular they currently are, etc. is irrelevant.

That all having been said, when I get to the part about actually reviewing the ship itself, the art onboard will be part of that review. Hint: I really liked it.

Roatan: Finally. I must say I loved this port. This was a first time for us in Roatan. However, some of my fellow cruisers on the same sailing, and other CC members who have been to Roatan have opened my eyes to what I might want to do next time! That Sante Spa sounds just wonderful--but what do you do when your significant other is completely disinterested in anything having to do with a Spa?

From the starboard side of the ship we saw a very pretty island. Some are prettier than others when you first arrive, don't you agree? I liked what I saw.

We went to breakfast--Oceanview Cafe. From our window-side table I could look down and see just the clearest, bluest water. And the pier area itself.

Our tour wasn't until 1 p.m. so we planned to just go in and look around. I was impressed with the little kiosks along the water as most appeared to be selling actual hand-crafted in Roatan items. I like local crafts and seeing the artisans creating and that is becoming more difficult to find. We went into an art shop and the art was locally done; I would have purchased a piece or two except our luggage was already over weight and hand carrying any of it would have been very difficult. I did pick up a pretty Honduran made scarf for my one employee.

The shopping area is two levels here, the lower waterside area, and across from the waterside area are the usual "you see them in every port" shops--Diamonds International, etc. and an upper area with t shirt shops, a bar/restaurant or two, etc. You can walk out of the immediate area, turn left and go a couple of blocks where you will find more little shops selling much of the same.

We got a soft drink and struck up a conversation with the young lady I mentioned in a previous post. We probably talked to her for half an hour, and did some people watching.

Now to the tour. It was a West End driving tour, to go through a "lovely, gated community", "seeing our ship and the ocean from a beautiful vantagepoint", a "stop at Rudy's for a smoothie", "seeing the oldest Methodist church in Roatan", and "a visit to the only cameo factory in the islands." WRONG.

There was immense confusion at the meeting point for this tour. The Celebrity employees were not friendly or helpful, the first and only time we had experienced this. They had 21 people on the list and counted us many times--sometimes they got 20, sometimes 23. I was unsure why they didn't take our tickets, assemble us, and if you didn't have a ticket, too bad, so sad. Then a guy shows up who is our "guide" and we walked to our transportation, which was mightily crowded. So there is a driver and a guide.

Off we went, and the guide was saying absolutely nothing. No narrative, no local stories, legends, or lore, no explanation of where we are headed. People started to ask him questions, the basics. He responded but you couldn't hear or understand him. Read: He was not interested in being a guide on this tour. The people at the back of the bus asked him to speak up and he did, for about ten seconds.

So we drove like this for several miles. We then stopped where there were some pretty flowering bushes. He opened the door, we got out, and he pointed to a walkway and said "go that way." This is where the parrots were. Okay, that was a cute photo. Now what? So this bunch of 21 or so people is clumped in the middle of a not very interesting plant place with handmade signs labeling the plants--"date palm", "elephant ear", "mother in law tongue". The guide has now struck up a conversation with a young woman who may be a guide to this "park." Both are speaking Spanish to each other. She is dressed in what appears to be a maid's uniform so I can only assume she works two jobs and just came from one to the other.

He tells us to just start walking. And we did. Aimlessly, in a row, not knowing where we were going or why. It was rough ground and I felt very, very sorry for some of the people who were elderly. It is a true miracle nobody got hurt, and I'm not kidding. One woman was with her mother and the mother was both deaf and had difficulty walking. We came to a small ravine (and I mean small) and there was literally a plank across it, not attached to anything. So we got to walk the plank. Some of us just decided that was dumb and we walked the foot and a half across the dry ravine. Then there was another plank going back across the same ravine the other direction. And the only thing that was pointed out to us was a cinnamon tree--the maid/guide broke off pieces of twigs and gave one to each of us to sniff.

This tour is looking pretty bad.

Next up, the West End. The ocean is beautiful no matter where you are, and this clearly was an area for divers and fishermen. If you are there for one of those purposes, it's probably a neat area. I could see renting a cottage and spending my days in the water. But we are not talking high end resorts. We are talking minimalist cabins.

This is not a good place for a tour bus as the "road" is sand. The shops are not much but stretch a good long way. We stopped at "Rudy's" where we are offered smoothies or soft drinks. DH got a pineapple thing that was just pineapple and ice (but good) and I got a Diet Coke. In a glass bottle with a cap. People were searching for a way to open their soft drinks--someone finally came up with an opener.

There were several cats and dogs lounging around--not unlike Key West. I went to the restroom, which was decent, thank God. Being a cat person I asked about the cats and learned they are owned, they have names, and they just hang out.

Then Mr. Non-Guide says, okay, now you walk down the sand and the bus will pick you up in front of (and he names some shop). We walk. I'm good with that. Some were having trouble with it. We got on the bus and then the driver decided to pull ahead so now the rest of the people are backtracking to catch up with him.

We still don't know much at all about the island. One woman says to me, "Is this the tour you thought you were getting?!" and I said, "No."

We went to the oldest Methodist church on the island. I did like this. The guide had nothing to say, they just pulled up in the yard and dropped us off. There was a little boy there at the front selling shells he had just picked up from the ground. I told him when we came out I would buy one. The kids in poor islands really get to me. A lady who is a member of the church came and spoke to us--she was nice, informative, welcoming, and difficult to understand. My husband said, "I didn't understand a word she said."

We went back outside, I bought a shell from "Kyle" for $1.00 and sat and talked with him. He is in first grade, likes recess, and they do not have art in their schools. (So the art I have seen is self-taught?!) He let me have my picture taken with him. Others also bought shells. Such a little entrepreneur. As we were pulling away (and the van just about went off into the edge of the water) I saw a little girl selling shells and one of the men on the bus said he got his shell from her.

Understand, there has been virtually no information given on this tour. But we are off again. And then he pulls up in front of the "cameo factory."

I'm pretty excited about this. When we were in Naples, Italy we stopped at a cameo factory and there was a 90+ year old man working in the back, still making cameos which he had been doing since he was 10 years old. My husband bought me a cameo there, but we made sure it was one this old man had created. And I have a photo of me with him. He signed the cameo and it is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry, and one of my favorite cruise memories.

As an aside to the first part of this story, after WW II my dad brought a cameo from Naples, Italy to my grandmother and it was passed down to me, and I subsequently gave it to my daughter, who gave it to hers.

Okay, so now we are at the Roatan cameo factory. You walk into the showroom but I saw a glassed in room at the back where two young men were working. I wanted to watch. I didn't stay in front of the glass, but made my way around the side to where the door was so I could see them.

Then an older man came in (45 or so?) and was critiquing them. So my conclusion was they were learning the craft and he was the mentor or teacher.

I apologized if I was intruding and the gentleman said, "no, I'm glad you want to watch." I asked him some questions and he said that the business had been around since the late 1800's and was a second location for one that started in Italy. His family owns both. Aha! I asked him if he thought that my first cameo could have come from the other factory his family owns. He said "my grandfather is still making cameos there, but I don't know which place you were at."

And then the magic question: "Would you like a tour of my workshop?" OMG, yes. And so the two of us (with me motioning to my husband to get in here!) went off and he used a key to unlock this set of big oval wood doors and inside was just the most exquisite display of cameo art I have ever seen. He had a piece that was an entire shell that he had carved and it had been on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (he had the literature, and reviews displayed with it). I asked him, "What if I want a cameo but I want to make sure you were the artist?" He said, "Then you pick something from this room."

I looked outside to the display/selling area and our entire group had re-boarded the bus. The "non-guide" was impatiently waiting for me.

So I chose a cameo with a starfish on it, paid for it, and as it was being wrapped, the owner/artist came up to me and asked "Would you like me to sign it for you?!" Yes.

So now I have two cameos, I met the artists for each of them, and each cameo is signed. It is entirely possible that the grandfather made one in Italy and the grandson in Roatan made the other. And that is what I choose to believe.

We returned to the shopping area and wandered around some more. I still wanted the Movado watch (it is a particular style, with diamonds, that I've been admiring for several years) but decided the cameo was just so lovely, and the story so special, that I didn't need to be a spoiled brat. Then DH pulls this: "I'll let you decide. If you want it, get it." I wanted it, and I decided not to get it.

I should mention here that you will find a place at the pier that sells cameos. My opinion is they are nice, but from the workmanship they seemed to me to be "seconds" and from the price I would guess that is true. The young ladies selling at the front of this store say they work at the Cameo Factory and these pieces come from there.

Roatan was a pretty island and I liked the art that seemed to be integral to the community.

Next up: The ship itself.

Thank you for such a wonderful review...and there is still more to come! To answer your question about Sante, this quote is from her website:

What if I don't want a spa treatment but I just want to come sit on the beach while my friend/significant other is pampered?

Not a problem! We have a day use fee ($45 per person, plus tax) to accommodate your preference.

Included: use of the spa facility, private beach, plunge pool, kayaking, snorkeling, and lunch/or breakfast. You are welcome to explore the cay, relax in a hammock, and enjoy our peaceful surroundings!

I hope that you do return to Roatan and are able to enjoy Sante.

I recall there was a lawn concert about mid-cruise(Tues-Weds)...I do not know if it was held however due to weather...We had showers a few nights mid-week, and the last day was overcast almost all day.

Sparkle, just as Janet stated you can book Sante just to hang out and relax. A few palapas with hammocks and the reef is less than 100ft and is pristine. Great snorkeling. If I remember I will put up a few pictures...

Janet, thank you for that info. DH does not know how to swim or snorkel but he would very much enjoy a hammock and some nap time under the palms. I've been looking at the Sante website and it is definitely on the list for next time!

Gayoung is correct again. A concert was planned for the lawn club but was canceled due to rain (I wonder if this wasn't Puerto Costa Maya day/night). They do note in the Celebrity Today that the concert is dependent on the weather.

cpinstein, thank you so much for asking. He had surgery--gallbladder removal, which is an extremely rare surgery in cats--yesterday, and as of today was still not doing any better. Fatty liver disease is insidious and difficult to treat. It is usually caused by cats not eating, which he did not for a number of days. Dr. Daughter and Dr. Cousin have both told me it takes a long time for them to recover but recovery is possible. You are lucky to have a teaching hospital so close to you. We are 7 hours away. We were encouraged to take Schroeder to the U of MN but a snowstorm kept us from it. I'll be thinking of your dog and hope things go well.

Now that's what I call a great review, many thanks.

DITTO! A GREAT review! And as I have sailed Celebrity quite a bit I agree with the reviewer very much. We have found on longer (12-14 night cruises) the percentage of men wearing tuxes goes up to about 90%. My husband has ALWAYS worn a tux or tux pants and shirt with white dinner jacket and always feels comfortable. He "knows" that he IS wearing what is correct and expected therefore he can not worry about what others wear. On my cruise last June my 10 year old grandson asked me to please rent him a tux "because I want to wear the right thing." I told him that I had already planned to. My DH bought him his first stud set, 14k, that will last him a long time. When we went to BLU the first formal night he actually had a few men say that he 'put them to shame' because they were not wearing tuxes. Kevin told them, "my Grandma can tell you where she rented this, it was right here in Ft. Lauderdale." We all got a good laugh out of that!

I spent a week on St Kitts last year. Did a snorkel sail to Nevis - was excellent. The zip line is also great - moves fast once you get going, but lots of waiting around. Beaches are great - very rustic. Bring bug repellent spray. Did not do the train ride around the island. The fort is very interesting, and Clarabelle Batik is also interesting and is a good place to purchase true St Kitts items. If you get a cab see if you can find "Uncle Millie" - the cabs are actually vans and all sorts of unmarked vehicles. Also know that the power on the island can go out at any time, without notice. Post your questions and I can either answer, or get answers.

Sparkle, I hope your cat is doing better now.

I enjoyed reading your review as we did the same cruise literary last summer on board the Solstice.

Our favorite shore trip was going to Maya Key while in port at Roatan. It’s a private island across the bay. Wonderful beach and the snorkeling was incredible. You just walk into the water from the beach and start snorkeling

When the water is about two feet deep. Lots of fish and coral to see and the water is very clear. Great way to end the cruise on a high note!

Thanks for the information on St. Kitts! (I've been away from the boards for a while). I will definitely book with Thenford Grey--he sounds terrific. I've only been in Puerto Rico once during a cruise. We basically walked around the old fort downtown and then took a taxi to see a bit of the island. There is a rain forest on the other side -- quite a ways out. I'm not sure what we'll do this time. As for Santorini, it is WONDERFUL! We were there on a Med cruise a few years back. Lots of whitewashed buildings and small churches overlooking gorgeous deep blue waters with bright blue roofs. We rented a car with a couple we met on the cruise and did our own exploring including a wine tasting with flights of wine at a winery and then spent time shopping before going to the beach at night. (Our ship was just off the island overnight.) This cruise isn't as exotic but we're looking forward to relaxing after a very cold winter! Thanks! Kelly

I don't want to hijack Sparkle's thread and wonderful thorough review, but since she may not get to Roatan for a while, I will answer Sue...my review for Sante is on the Roatan board in "How was Sante" thread and on TripAdvisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g292019-d648774-Reviews-Sante_Wellness_Center_Day_Spa-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html In a word..Sante was superb. Wonderful day, already booked a return visit!

And Kelly GA...I second what Sue said. Thetford Gray gave us one of the best island tours I have ever had in the Caribbean. Such a knowledgable gentleman showing you the best of beautiful St. Kitts.

Hello, we are going to st kitts and would like to see more of the island than just going to one beach. Where did you find him???

I spent a week on St Kitts last year. Did a snorkel sail to Nevis - was excellent. The zip line is also great - moves fast once you get going, but lots of waiting around. Beaches are great - very rustic. Bring bug repellent spray. Did not do the train ride around the island. The fort is very interesting, and Clarabelle Batik is also interesting and is a good place to purchase true St Kitts items. If you get a cab see if you can find "Uncle Millie" - the cabs are actually vans and all sorts of unmarked vehicles. Also know that the power on the island can go out at any time, without notice. Post your questions and I can either answer, or get answers.

Hi,

Is it safe to get tours when you get to St. Kitts. I would like to also see Nevis.

Archived