Alcohol carry-on / other liquids

springclean02

So i have read alot about the nauty room and people getting caught with with alcohol in their checked bags. Also will they allow you to bring bottle soda , water or gatoraid in your checked bags ?

Has anyone ever tried any of these few methods

- Put the rum runner in your carry on bag

- put a plastic flask in your pocket or will the security scanners detect this ?

Just trying to think of ways not to see the naughty room on my Epic cruise next month

So i have read alot about the nauty room and people getting caught with with alcohol in their checked bags. Just trying to think of ways not to see the naughty room on my Epic cruise next month

Buy your poison at the bar....that won't lead to the naughty room at all! :D

Many cruise lines will allow you to bring wine and champange aboard; some charge per bottle and let you drink it wherever, others only charge if you bring the wine into the restaurant. Been on NCL and have used rumrunner in the past -- works fine. I have also brought regular bottles in checked bags without issue. I have also brought regular bottles and small amounts of beer in my carry-on without any effort to conceal them at all, also without issue. Once you are at the various ports they will take liquor brought onboard and hold it for you until the last night of the cruise, which is what they will do if they should find the liquor you bring onboard initially. If caught, plead ignorance. The reality is that cruise lines have these policies in place so they could enforce them if they ever felt the need to, but they seldom feel the need to unless it becomes extreme.

We've used rumrunners, worked great, but didn't try to put them in my carry on. My husband did carry one on in his cargo shorts, though, with no problem. On our last cruise, my sister-in-law took a whole suitcase full of soda...it was delivered to her room withour issue (she had a few spiked bottles in there, too).

The metal detectors don't seem to be able to detect plastic bottles. My Brother-in-law bought some rum in a plastic bottle with a plastic screw cap at one of the ports. He put it in his cargo shorts pocket and made it through the metal dectector fine when getting back on the ship.

Another time, my husband stashed a couple of bottles of wine in with his scuba gear in a hard case waterproof box. They opened the case because they were suspicious of it, but once they saw all the scuba gear, they didn't search any further and let him go on his way. We also had 4 other bottles of wine that we did declare and pay the fee for, so I guess they figured we didn't have anymore or we would have declared it with the other 4 bottles. So we were able to get a couple of bottles on for free.

Even if you have to declare your own wine at $15 a bottle, it's still cheaper than buying it on board. The mark up is ridiculous. We have wine in our home collection that we paid $20 for, and on NCL they charge $60 for the same bottle of wine. So even with the corkage fee, it's still cheaper than what NCL charges, and at least we know it's a nice bottle of wine that we know what it is and know it will be good.

Archived