Decorating Cabin Door??

buckeyefan10

This is our first cruise and we are taking our 5 year old Grandson and I want him to be able to find the room easily. He tends to run ahead of us slower moving folks. LOL "I'll beat you Grandma!" is a usual statement. This way he won't be trying to get into someone elses room. :o We are all so excited for our upcoming cruise.

We took our 5 yo grandson with us in 2009. We had so much fun with him!! Enjoy your cruise!!

DH and I will be sailing for our 12th Anniversary...our door will be decorated!

I was not even aware that this was a "thing" people do... However it does really sound like fun... and an interesting talking point to meet new people. Our next cruise we will be crusing on Cinco de Mayo and it does sound like a fun way to celebrate :D

We cruised over St. Patty's day one year. I made up a BIG Homer Simpson with a beer in hand and a sign in the other hand with a st. patty's shirt to boot. I also attatched a pen and roll of tape.

The sign said "steal me off this door, write your cabin # on it and let's see how many rooms I visit over the course of the week."

The last night we went looking for it, found it 4 floors above our floor, and Homer visited 220 rooms. The cruise director even made an announcement over the intercom about who's seen Homer.

It was fun.

We cruised over St. Patty's day one year. I made up a BIG Homer Simpson with a beer in hand and a sign in the other hand with a st. patty's shirt to boot. I also attatched a pen and roll of tape.

The sign said "steal me off this door, write your cabin # on it and let's see how many rooms I visit over the course of the week."

The last night we went looking for it, found it 4 floors above our floor, and Homer visited 220 rooms. The cruise director even made an announcement over the intercom about who's seen Homer.

It was fun.

mind if I steal this? that sounds like so much fun!

Never have, I know my wife would be embarrassed if I did and not go in the room until I took it down. Some people like that kind of thing, it's not really up our alley. I could see decoration the inside but the outside where others pass I don't like the idea. I don't want people standing outside my door and looking. We prefer privacy.

I always put up some sort of cabin door decoration up because we always are celebrating a holiday or special occasion while cruising. If you want to do it...go for it...it is FUN for everyone.

Our cabin door for a Halloween Cruise:

IMG_0096B.jpg

I am using something similar to your dangly pumpkin but mine says "over the hill". My mom just turned 80 and she is easily confused. I'm "over the hill" too, so she won't be offended!

I decorate our door - I put our journey on it, where we are from and our journey to Miami. I put a small history of where we live, let everyone know we were Canadians :). I also left a post its on the door for messages. First note was from our room steward. I was surprised by the number of notes that were left, more surprised by the number of people who left questions on the door wanting an answer about the area i live in. I would answer them and they would come get them and leave thank you notes. i will do it every cruise, sure makes it easier to find our room.

I LOVE decorating my door!! We always do this. It's super easy to spot your room from far away. Of course you can go by the numbers on the door (as others have stated), but it's more fun to me to see your room from far away and know where it is. Plus it's just fun to do. I personally don't think it is tacky at all. I'll post some pictures of our past cruises just in case you'd like to see... I think it's fun to see all different things that people do. :) Hope you have fun on your cruise!!!!

DSCN1998.jpg

DSCN1815.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

Yes we do a collage of pics of our group! I really like the Homer Simpson idea. . .

If we have a balcony we also tie a streamer made of curling ribbon to it, that way we might be able to pick out our cabin from the shore. Similarly, if we have OV, we put an American Flag decal in the window, that way we can pick it out.

Yes, we have decorated our door in the past.

Yes, we will decorate our door in the future.

Personally, I really don't care what anyone else has to think about it on the ship.

We are there to have a good time, period.

Anyone that has time to complain about our cabin door on a cruise probably needs to find something a little more entertaining to do on the ship.

We walk the halls looking for others that have decorated and although few do there are always a few scattered around the ship.

Yes, we have decorated our door in the past.

Yes, we will decorate our door in the future.

Personally, I really don't care what anyone else has to think about it on the ship.

We are there to have a good time, period.

Anyone that has time to complain about our cabin door on a cruise probably needs to find something a little more entertaining to do on the ship.

We walk the halls looking for others that have decorated and although few do there are always a few scattered around the ship.

I like the way you think!! ;)

We always decorate our door. One year, our stuffed dog, Spot, went missing and someone unknown to us, replaced her with a stuffed poodle they must have got while in port. We have a collection of homemade posters from previous cruises that we have kept. My sister is great at finding funny posters and superimposing our heads on them. GO FOR IT!

If we have a balcony we also tie a streamer made of curling ribbon to it, that way we might be able to pick out our cabin from the shore. Similarly, if we have OV, we put an American Flag decal in the window, that way we can pick it out.

I have only been on 2 short cruises and I have not yet seen decorated doors! I will be on the lookout from now on.

I love the idea of ribbons on the balconey! That I will be sure to do. We have a balconey on our May 4 cruise to Alaska.

Smiles,

Rebecca

Online I ordered some things I was going to use but now I'm not so sure. They are cutouts of cruise ships and cutout of a porthole. They said they stick to walls, etc, but are repositionable. After I've gotten them they have the disclaimer to try them to see if they damage the finish or not. That has me concerned. I peeled one back and it's not REALLY sticky like tape is. More like tape that's been stuck on and off a number of times. Should I take part of the waste and stick in in an inconspicuous place and take it off to see what happens? I was so looking forward to putting them up.

I use the Cruise Critic sign. On one cruise a lady knocked and said "I've been seeing this all week. Are you cruising free because you're a Critic?"

What I need to do is decorate the wall in an interior with a porthole picture!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

What can I say except the minute we step onto the ship its a Party. The first time I decorated a door, my husband wanted to help to my surprise. He really enjoyed himself. Then the next time he made me wait, so that he could help again. Now I guess you would call this a custom of ours to do this together. We do it just for fun for ourselves. When we get to our door we both just smile :D as this just makes us really fill like a party.

Door.jpg.602e1aaa89b1f3a7e801a1225f916849.jpg

Online I ordered some things I was going to use but now I'm not so sure. They are cutouts of cruise ships and cutout of a porthole. They said they stick to walls, etc, but are repositionable. After I've gotten them they have the disclaimer to try them to see if they damage the finish or not. That has me concerned. I peeled one back and it's not REALLY sticky like tape is. More like tape that's been stuck on and off a number of times. Should I take part of the waste and stick in in an inconspicuous place and take it off to see what happens? I was so looking forward to putting them up.

Maybe you can just peel off a small area of the backing and see what happens.

Just got back yesterday from the Triumph. I got window clings from the Dollar Tree. Hearts for Valentines and it was our anniversary. One night one of the hearts was missing. I walked down a few doors and found it. Then next night 3 were missing. I found 2 of them. I just took them off. So, I wouldn't spend much money on it if I were you. It was fun seeing our door decorated though. I wish people didn't suck so bad! lol