Logical to stay in Hollywood prior to Fort L. cruise?

cricri7

Hi guys....I am in the middle of booking my hotel prior to my leaving on the Eurodam on February 26th. I am pretty picky about hotels and am not having luck in winning on Priceline. I tried for the beach and downtown areas (4 stars) but was turned down at 130$. I know I have to bid higher but I was looking at the hotels in Hollywood and they are cheaper. I know I will pay extra for cab fare so I am interested in knowing if it is worth it paying less for a 4 star in Hollywood, then paying more for cabs, then paying less for a 3 star in Fort Lauderdale. There are a couple of hotels in the 3 star category on Priceline that I am really am not interested in getting.

Is it right to estimate a cab between the airport and Hollywood at 30$?

There is the Westin Diplomat Hollywood that can be had on Hotwire and Priceline for under 120$.

I stayed before in Fort Lauderdale but never in Hollywood. We would not have a car so are there things to do near the hotel?

I would appreciate any answers you guys can give me!

Hi guys....I am in the middle of booking my hotel prior to my leaving on the Eurodam on February 26th. I am pretty picky about hotels and am not having luck in winning on Priceline. I tried for the beach and downtown areas (4 stars) but was turned down at 130$. I know I have to bid higher but I was looking at the hotels in Hollywood and they are cheaper. I know I will pay extra for cab fare so I am interested in knowing if it is worth it paying less for a 4 star in Hollywood, then paying more for cabs, then paying less for a 3 star in Fort Lauderdale. There are a couple of hotels in the 3 star category on Priceline that I am really am not interested in getting.

Is it right to estimate a cab between the airport and Hollywood at 30$?

There is the Westin Diplomat Hollywood that can be had on Hotwire and Priceline for under 120$.

I stayed before in Fort Lauderdale but never in Hollywood. We would not have a car so are there things to do near the hotel?

I would appreciate any answers you guys can give me!

I got the Diplomat for $89 per night via Hotwire. I was there February 5 - 7, 2011. I had a rental car, so I don't know what the cab fare would be. Here are some pictures of my room ...

D2-1.jpg

The entry area. The bathroom is off to the left in this picture.

D2-2.jpg

The bedroom.

D2-3.jpg

The bathroom.

D2-4.jpg

The balcony.

D2-5.jpg

The hotel's pool.

These are photos of the golf club location, not the beach location. Both are nice. Figure $30 to $40 taxi fare depending on bridges and traffic. The beach location has a nice selection of restaurants on the property, and of course, the beach. The golf club location is a little more isolated and set back from the main road, but they have a shuttle to the beach hotel.

The reason you are having trouble is Feb 26 will be this year's busiest day at Port Everglades. There will be over 25,000 people boarding ships that day. I just had a quick look at the popular hotels people tend to stay at, and most are not available on the 25th, so that's going to really limit the availability you will find on priceline. Embassy Suites and Crowne Plaza near the port are both about $250. All the Hiltons are full, as are the various Hyatt's and the Renaissance. All the mid-range hotels at Stirling Rd near Oakwood Plaza are full as well as the ones to the north along Griffin Rd. I know it's generally said you pay a little more on hotwire than on priceline, but on hotwire, a hotel matching the Crowne Plaza (state road 84 location, near the port) is showing at $233, while you can book on their website for $250. Not much of a discount, so I'm not sure how much cheaper priceline would get it for either.

On Hotwire, there is a 4 star Hollywood Beach that matches the description of the Diplomat for $117, which would be a great deal for that hotel. It could also be the Diplomat country club, shown in the pictures above, or even the Crowne Plaza, although I'm doubtful on that because it shows spa in the description, and that's usually the Diplomat giveaway. Even if cab was closer to $50 each way, that's still a good price compared to other higher end hotels that weekend.

Thank you guys...especially for the pictures:)

I did not know that the 25th was such a popular date. I will try Priceline once or twice for Fort Lauderdale but will try Hollywood as well. It comes cheaper to stay there since we are 2 going there. We will each pay for one cab ride so it comes out cheaper than staying in Fort Lauderdale.

Any thoughts on Plantation?

Just to let you guys know that I won a bid on Priceline at 140$ in the Fort Lauderdale beach area and got the Marriott Harbor beach resort. I am happy but I thought I could get away with less. I saw on another forum that someone bid 88$ on a 3.5 star...won...and got uprgraded to the Marriott. I would have preferred paying 88$ but am still happy with what I go...especially since the rooms on their website start at 529$!!!

Thanks again for your answers!

I think that is an excellent deal. I wanted a hotel in this location in January, but was a little unsure of the Priceline and Hotwire process then. It would have been great to walk out on to the beach to watch the ships sail, or even walk the half mile down the sand right to the harbour inlet and watch the ships up close. Congrats on this deal and I hope you are there early enough to enjoy it.

Hi Dan....Hotwire and Priceline are very easy if you do it with this website: http://www.betterbidding.com

It gives you the hotel you are supposed to get by listing the amenities, if you are using Hotwire, and you just have to match the hotel to the amenities.

As for Priceline, it gives you a list of the hotels you may get if you bid on a number of stars in a given area.

With this website, Hotwire and Priceline are very easy!!! It helps you save lots of money and, at the same time, stay in hotels you couldn't afford otherwise:)

Just to let you guys know that I won a bid on Priceline at 140$ in the Fort Lauderdale beach area and got the Marriott Harbor beach resort. I am happy but I thought I could get away with less. I saw on another forum that someone bid 88$ on a 3.5 star...won...and got uprgraded to the Marriott. I would have preferred paying 88$ but am still happy with what I go...especially since the rooms on their website start at 529$!!!

Thanks again for your answers!

Wow, that is a very upscale hotel!

Archived