Vancouver entertainment book

ceejay_San Angelo

I'm posting this thread on the Alaska boards because so many Alaska cruises leave from Vancouver.

I looked online at the entertainment book www.entertainment.com to consider purchasing the vancouver edition because we will have two precruise days there. Since the book is now halfprice ($18) it looks like using even one coupon would break even and you're saving money after that. We're pretty sure we will do the trolley tour, capilano suspension bridge park, maybe Dr Sun's chinese garden, the aquarium and we have to eat somewhere.

Our hotel will be the Hyatt. Anyone used this book in previous years or have thoughts on buying it just for two days use?

Thanks for the idea! I just bought 2 books for 4 of us. The Trolley tour alone saves the price of the book! Be careful though, the Trolley coupon is not good in July or Aug.

Did anyone fine a good resteraunt in the downtown area in the book? We are stayng at the Marriott Pinnacle.

Lets exchange good coupon ideas on this book.

DaveOKC

Hi there. I am from Vancouver. Hope you don't mind some ideas/tips for when you are in town :)

When you are sightseeing you might be interested in knowing that if you take the local transit system to either Capilano Suspension Bridge or Grouse Mountain and show them your bus transfer you will get between 15 and 20% off the admission price :) .

NCL Sun 05/15/05 to Alaska:D

Roy & Peggie, Thanks for the tip! Do you happen to know which bus we would take for both the Capilano Susp Bridge and Grouse Mtn?

BTW, I was looking into a Day Pass on the transit system for $8.00/day pp. Then I saw on weekends it is $2.25/day pp. This seems too good to be true! Is it really the way I read it on the transit site?

ceejay and DaveOKC, the Entertainment Book seems like a good idea. I use one where I live, but have never bought one for vacation. Is the trolley coupon you mention for the Vancouver Trolley Company? Is the coupon 2 for 1? If it is, the rates for the VTC are $28 pp, so that pays for the book right there.

Thanks for the tips and keep them coming!

ceejay...

I looked into your suggestion of using an entertianment book - cool idea!

I was looking to see if we could snag a great hotel rate.

It appears that by using the book I could get a room at the Sheraton Wall Centre for 50% off their normally published rates - that would be a huge savings over even rates from Hotwire or Hotels.com.

Are you or anyone else aware of any restrictions that may not make this a great deal?

Hi I have an entertainment book and use it - lots of coupons for great dining in Vancouver.

I have never found the hotel coupons to be good deals as that is 50% off the rack rate not what you are finding on the interenet. Go to Priceline for your best deal on a 4* downtown vancouver hotel.

Some of my favorite restaurants which have coupons in the Entertainment book are -

1)The Cannery Seafood Restaurant (built right on the water with a great harbour view on Commissioner Street in the heart of cannery row)

2)Kobe - japanese steakhouse where they cook right at your table

3)Le Gavroche - excellent french restaurant

4)Stonegrill - great food that you cook right at your table on a hot stone - every bite to the end of your meal is piping hot + its location on the shore of False Creek provides for a wonderful view of the yachts, False Creek Ferries, kaycks etc coming & going

Hope this helps

Seems that even the rack rate at 50% off is better than what I am finding online right now for the Sheraton Wal Centre.

There are certain restrictions to booking the room with the Coupon Book however:

1) you must call the Hotel directly and book your room

2) you must tell them of your coupon at the time you make your reservation

3) you may not get a "premium room" when using a coupon.

(I'm not sure about this last one - I might be better off taking my chances online)

I was thinking that if a room at the Sheraton normally goes for $250/night, using a coupon and paying $125 is a good deal better than the prices I am finding online.

Hotwire isn't offering the Sheraton yet - I am keeping my eyes open...

Thanks!:)

GloriaF

I do happen to know which bus :) I work for the local city transit as a driver on the North Shore. Coming from Vancouver you will want to take the Sea Bus and then at Lonsdale Quay take the the 236 Grouse Mountain Bus. Which will take you to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain about a 15 to 20 minute bus ride.

The cost is pretty cheap for the bus tickets on the Weekends it costs $2.25 for a 90 minute transfer all directions of travel or a Day Pass for $8.00. Here is a link for the busses http://www.translink.bc.ca/. If you have any more questions let me know :)

Take Care

We are trying to book for August as a pre-cruise hotel stay.

I think I will contact the hotel directly to see what they can tell me about their rates and whether or not the Entertainment Coupon will be accepted there for the type of room I would like (king, corner room, above the 20th floor).

There are restrictions for "Premium Rooms", and whether or not they project that they will be able to sell them, so I am not sure they will accept a coupon for this type of room.

I'll keep ya posted! :)

B.C.HappyGal-

You mentioned you use the book, did you get it from a US site and use US $. Is there a Canadian site so I can use CDN $. If I buy from this US site, and use it for the 2 places (trolley and aquarium) and with the rate of exchange I would only save $9. We will only be in Vancouver 1/2 day we arrive and the next full day. Is it worth it?

We will be staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Any place to eat with or without coupons around there.

Canuck-columbus-

To use the city transit, where do we buy the all day ticket. We are staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. We will be doing the trolley tour, is it better to use the city bus or the trolley.

Canuck-columbus, thanks for the reply regarding the transit system and the link. I, too, would like to know where to buy a Day Pass. Thanks!

BCHappyGal,

will you please look at the Trolley coupon and report if it can be used on weekends and if it is the Vancouver Trolley Co.? Also, you mentioned many coupons could not be used on the weekends -- what about the dining options you mentioned? Thanks !

Canuck-columbus, thanks for the reply regarding the transit system and the link. I, too, would like to know where to buy a Day Pass. Thanks!

BCHappyGal,

will you please look at the Trolley coupon and report if it can be used on weekends and if it is the Vancouver Trolley Co.? Also, you mentioned many coupons could not be used on the weekends -- what about the dining options you mentioned? Thanks !

The trolley coupon is for the Vancouver Trolley Company. It is valid on weekends but not valid in July or August. The book also has a coupon for the"

Aquarium, Capilano Bridge, horse drawn tour in Stanley Park, the IMAX at Canada Place. I'm really glad I bought my book. Can't wait to use it in May.

gator - (or anyone who knows) do you know how to redeem the trolley coupon? Do you have to go to the main office in Gastown or can the trolley driver accept it? We are also going in May (4) and would like to know ahead of time. Looks like a good deal!

DaveOKC

Thanks, gator83! When in May are you going and what ship? We will be on the Coral Princess May 21-28 southbound.

And DaveOKC - that is a very good question. I'll stay tuned for the answer.

I am going to order an Entertainment Book too. It does sound like a good deal.

I called the Vancouver Trolley Company and asked about the Entertainment COupon. They said to just give it to the driver and he/she will handle it. Also, the driver can take charge cards.

I briefly looked at the Entertainment book (I got it today) and there seems to be a number of dining places in the "fine dining" section that are in the downtown area. Does anyone know of a good one in this area that is in the book?

Any other suggestions for using the Entertainment book?

DaveOKC

Aqua Riva ( A7 in the book ) is located across the street from Canada Place - if your ship is berthed on the east side of Canada Place you will able to see the ship from the restaurant.

While not a "fine diner" did eat there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.aquariva.com/

Hope this helps

Cheers from Vancouver

Dennis

I thought I was going nuts. Someone said the cost of the entertainment book is currently selling for $18.00. When I checked the site it the price was reduced from $36 to $26. I was really confused. I called the number on their website and talked to a very nice lady. I explained that someone else saw the price as $18 vs $26 for me. She said it's possible that the person who saw it for $18 was a previous purchaser. She said since I wanted two books, I could buy one and then the next one would be $18. I said why don't I buy one for my city (we eat out way too much). So she went to Charlotte NC, and said I could purchase it for $25. I went to the site and it showed up as I can purchase the book for $15! Evidently the rates are different for wherever you live. She suggested I purchase the Charlotte book on line; then log out; then come back on and purchase the books for Vancouver at the reduced price of $18!

It worked. I now have two books for our party of 4! Hope the above explanation makes sence and hopefully will save someone else some extra money! Afterall, if you do eat out in your own town, they do pay for themselves over and aver!

Sharon from Charlotte

Dennis - thanks for the info! It looks like a very nice place and it will be close to our hotel (Marriott Pinnacle). Any other ideas nearby out of the book?

How about things to do in downtown area after dinner?

DaveOKC

Archived