Just returned from back-to-backs on Celebrity & RCI and have questions...

SWLinPHX

After doing a 10-day ultimate Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Equinox followed by a 5-day on RCI Navigator of the Seas, I notices some specific areas with the most apparent contrasts. This does not include obvious differences like itineraries or decor etc., but mostly on the service and way things were run:

• Senior crowd on Equinox (mostly above 60 or 70+) while much more diverse/mixed and younger on N.O.S. While this is to be expected when comparing Celebrity to RCI and a 10-day to a 5-day (and the ship does not control the demographic) there was no mistaking that much of the music, jokes and general mood was geared toward seniors & retirees, making those of us in our 30's and 40's (who paid the same as everyone else) feel out of place quite often.

• Oversized pool/beach towels on Equinox (different colors for pool vs. beach, but exact same otherwise), delivered to your room and exchanged on port days with no need to check towels out then back in with the threat of being charged $20. Navigator had that rule despite having much more rough, standard-sized bath towels.

• No self-serve soft-serve ice cream on Equinox as with many ships, but instead had an ice cream parlor where you could get delicious multi-flavored standard ice cream and soft-serve too, albeit only during business hours.

• Beverages: On Equinox there are multiple full-featured and self-service beverage stations opened 24 hours. You can even refill your own water bottles and thermoses to take back to your cabin. On Navigator, all beverage stations were off limits to guests and you had to request drinks or choose what had been poured and sitting out already in cups. And worst of all, unlike Equinox, Navigator did not have 24-hour beverages, just food (I'm talking cold, thirst-quenching beverages other than water and coffee or hot tea). I was often so thirsty late-nights/early mornings and longed for something besides water or hot drinks.

Again, I anticipated a little better or more attentive service on Celebrity and more of a "fun" or party atmosphere on the shorter RCI voyage and was not mistaken or surprised at all in that regard. I may think of more things later, but what are some of your experiences? For instance, it had been a while since I cruised, but aren't (or weren't) 24-hour beverage stations always customary on cruises? Is this new? Any insight will be appreciated on any of these things. :)

Re Beverages - The only place for free cold drinks (juice at breakfast - ice t and lemonade at lunch) and some flavored water on Royal ships is in the buffet. If you really want some of these when the buffet is closed - get them and take them back to the cabin - remove ice and put in refrigerator. You can add new ice when you want to drink your saved drinks.

Unfortunately for us the cruise lines like it when we pay for sodas and bottled water.

For instance, it had been a while since I cruised, but aren't (or weren't) 24-hour beverage stations always customary on cruises? Is this new? Any insight will be appreciated on any of these things. :)

thanks for the take on your trip & the comparison

we've only sailed RCCL & DCL - on DCL they do have a beverage station which has sodas & water available 24 hrs for no charge. I've never seen anything on any of the RCCL ships we've been on.

Thanks for both your responses...

That must be another more recent cutback because last time I cruised RCI (way back in 2002 on Vision of the Seas) they not only had 24-hour beverage stations but it was self-service. I think all drinks other than soda & alcohol should be that way, as they still are on Celebrity. Are they that way on other lines like Norwegian, Carnival and Princess?

To recap, the things I liked better on Navigator of the Seas were:

1) The more varied age demographic and active environment and things (such as music, trivia, etc.) not primarily geared toward one age group

2) The much larger, inviting and utilized swimming pools, pool deck area and hot tubs

3) The more opulent three-tier dining room and fun themes of areas like The Dungeon, Ixtapa Lounge and Schooner Bar

4) Novelty features like the Promenade, ice skating rink, rock climbing wall, Johnny Rockets, miniature golf, inline skating, etc.

The things I liked better on Equinox were:

1) Better overall staff service and attentiveness

2) More intimate feeling and ship layout even though almost the same size as Navigator

3) Much more guest-friendly and less restrictive policies when it comes to pool/beach towels, self-service beverages, etc.

4) Better experience with Internet service (never was able to connect on Navigator, but I realize that may just be my own particular incident) as well as WiFi throughout all staterooms and ship

5) Newer and more modern room amenities and better interactive flat-screen TV's (although that is most likely due to the age of the two particular ships)

Overall, I like things the way they are run on Celebrity a bit more (even back several years ago when I sailed both, but even more so now), but next time I think I will probably either go during holiday breaks or summer vacation, or else take shorter cruises to ensure more of a diverse group and not a feeling of being in a retirement community. If I do those two things next time but book with Celebrity, maybe that is a way to have the best of both worlds. Since I like to be away longer, I will probably do two or three back-to-back 5-day cruises which I found for about the same price as our 10-day Celebrity + 5-day RCI total. It certainly gave me more recent and updated insight into those cruise lines and the way things are currently or have changed, for better and worse.

Archived