Snorkeling in shallow water?

penlanspice

I would love to do some snorkeling on our next cruise but I have a little phobia of the sea/fish (crazy I know) over the last year I've snorkeled in Thailand over a period of 2 months so I'm getting over the phobia, but this has been from either the beach or in coves.

What I want to know is, is there any snorkeling off the beach, or if we did a boat/catamaran tour do they stop far out to sea? or is the water shallow? (could I see the bottom)?

Thanks

I would love to do some snorkeling on our next cruise but I have a little phobia of the sea/fish (crazy I know) over the last year I've snorkeled in Thailand over a period of 2 months so I'm getting over the phobia, but this has been from either the beach or in coves.

What I want to know is, is there any snorkeling off the beach, or if we did a boat/catamaran tour do they stop far out to sea? or is the water shallow? (could I see the bottom)?

Thanks

It depends on your definition of shallow. I've never snorkeled anywhere where I couldn't see bottom (kinda defeats the purpose). Where shasa took us to swim with turtles I would estimate the depth at 12 ft. I was easily able to dive to the bottom even without flippers. The reef they took us to was probably 16-20 feet to the bottom. Still easy to see.

But if you're looking for shallow enough that you can stand up, you should probably stick to the beach.

klepton[/left];28003484]It depends on your definition of shallow. I've never snorkeled anywhere where I couldn't see bottom (kinda defeats the purpose). Where

shasa

took us to swim with turtles I would estimate the depth at 12 ft. I was easily able to dive to the bottom even without flippers. The reef they took us to was probably 16-20 feet to the bottom. Still easy to see.

But if you're looking for shallow enough that you can stand up, you should probably stick to the beach.

Sorry should of made myself more clear, by shallow I just meant not out in the depths of the sea.

I don't think I could get off the boat out in the middle of the sea, I think that would panic me too much, I've snorkeled off boats in coves and the water has probably been around 20/25 feet deep and that was fine.

We went to the beach 5 min. drive from our ship with Kayak Jack. We kayaked a short distance, then left the kayak on the beach and swam to the turtle area to snorkel. After a fine time, we swam back to the beach to get back in the kayaks. We then went to the area of a sunken ship. We "rolled" out of the kayaks (after securing them to a buoy) and snorkeled over the sunken ship for a while where thousands of fish greeted us.

You don't have to jump out of a boat. We were pretty close to shore, not a difficult swim at all. We could easily see the bottom of the sea. I have only snorkeled one time previous, so I'm not an expert and this was great. Just wanted to offer another option for you!

Sherry

Archived