Mediterranean advise: private tour recommendations

mscg2000

We are a group of three who will be on Navigator, May 22 for a tour of: Messina, Athens, Ephesus, and Crete. We definitely prefer a private tour, preferably just the three of us and a guide. I've looked on the roll call for our cruise and there are folks organizing groups, but we'd like to be with, at most, 2-3 other people. I am a slow but persistent walker and I don't want others waiting for me to "catch up." Can anyone suggest independent guides that they have used in these ports?

Have you tried posting in the Ports of Call Section? Click on Europe, then Mediterranean, then Greece for excursions there, Italy for ones there and Other for Kusadasi (Ephesus). There are lots of recommendations for private companies.

We will be on your ship/itinerary cruise but in July. I have all my excursions booked except for Crete and one-half of my group for Messina. I was able to get alot of contacts and email all for quotes etc.

Have fun deciding, you should have no problem.

We used Romeinlimo when we went to Rome, Naples and Florence. We even had a port change when we went to Florence and our driver/guide drove 1 1/2 hours further to pick us up. We were happy with all three. Now, the drivers are not licensed guides so they cannot go into places with you, but they are very knowledgeable and will give you much information on the drive. We did hire a licensed guide for the Vatican and he met us there.

We have made reservations with this tour company for Ephesus for just the two of us:

http://www.ephesusshuttle.com/Private-Tours/Kusadasi-to-Ephesus/6

I think their rates are reasonable, and they are still having their 25% discount for reservations until 5/31/11. We are adding the Terrace Houses for $10 extra per person:

These are the rates they quoted me in their reservation reply:

The cost of the tour is 55-$US - 25 % special discount = 41-$USx 2 pax = 82-$US for 2 pax reservation.

The cost of the tour is 52-$US - 25 % special discount = 39-$US per person for 4 pax reservation.

The cost of the tour is 49-$US - 25 % special discount = 36-$US per person for 6 pax reservation.

You can make the payment of the tour to our tour guide at the end of the tour.

In Athens we are going on the Hop on/off bus. They have a route that picks up at the port: City Sightseeing Piraeus and Athens

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml?command=search&clear-search=true&destinations=Athens

I would definitely check the ports of call area. We're on your sailing, and that is how we found everything.

In Crete, you should email Lefty...he does cab tours for 35 euros/hour. He was fabulous helping to organize something for our larger group.

Also, if you post in our roll call those of us who have been doing the organizing may be able to provide contacts for you.

Archived