Crown Princess - daily buffet dining question

dansu

Could someone who has been on the Crown Princess recently please tell me about the lunch served on what I'm assuming is the Lido deck.

Our last cruise was with CCL and it wasn't an impressive offering...which I was not prepared for...everything was very heavily salted..they served a lot of really heavy food for a midday meal...a daily Indian buffet...a daily international buffet that was generally heavily deep fried and doused in thick creamy sauces. The oriental buffet was replaced with a Mongolian grill, which was stir fried and greasy. I don't know about you, but when I'm sitting out all day taking the sun...I'm looking for a lighter fare...I ended up eating a bowl of their fresh salsa almost everyday day for lunch.

Yes, I do realize that the Crown Princess will have the standard buffet selection...what I am looking for is the other choices such as a Deli sandwich counter...hamburger / hot dog / grilled chicken ...oriental foods ...international foods...What does the Crown Princess offer for lunch? What stands out for lunch...what did you enjoy...what did you not enjoy? I know the like or dislike of food is very subjective; however, I'm truly interested in your opinions...

Thanks

Suzi

Could someone who has been on the Crown Princess recently please tell me about the lunch served on what I'm assuming is the Lido deck.

Our last cruise was with CCL and it wasn't an impressive offering...which I was not prepared for...everything was very heavily salted..they served a lot of really heavy food for a midday meal...a daily Indian buffet...a daily international buffet that was generally heavily deep fried and doused in thick creamy sauces. The oriental buffet was replaced with a Mongolian grill, which was stir fried and greasy. I don't know about you, but when I'm sitting out all day taking the sun...I'm looking for a lighter fare...I ended up eating a bowl of their fresh salsa almost everyday day for lunch.

Yes, I do realize that the Crown Princess will have the standard buffet selection...what I am looking for is the other choices such as a Deli sandwich counter...hamburger / hot dog / grilled chicken ...oriental foods ...international foods...What does the Crown Princess offer for lunch? What stands out for lunch...what did you enjoy...what did you not enjoy? I know the like or dislike of food is very subjective; however, I'm truly interested in your opinions...

Thanks

Suzi

There will be a separate buffet each day in Cafe Caribe and that's where the themes come in. For hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. you need to get them at the grill. There is no deli sandwich counter on Princess. If you want lighter fare, make yourself a salad. Always available.

There's the Grill near the pool which has hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst, etc. plus a pizza stand. In the buffet, there is heavy food as you describe but they also have a selection of salads, pre-made sandwiches, bread and deli meats and cheeses so you can make your own sandwich, and my favorite, a salad bar with two different types of lettuce and a selection of veggies (maybe 8-12 options). I put some deli meats and cheese in the bowl to make a chef's salad. There are between 6-10 dressing options, from Caesar to lo-fat plus oil and vinegar. There is also cottage cheese and a variety of fresh fruit. Plus desserts, cookies, etc.

Hungary yet?

There's the Grill near the pool which has hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwurst, etc. plus a pizza stand. In the buffet, there is heavy food as you describe but they also have a selection of salads, pre-made sandwiches, bread and deli meats and cheeses so you can make your own sandwich, and my favorite, a salad bar with two different types of lettuce and a selection of veggies (maybe 8-12 options). I put some deli meats and cheese in the bowl to make a chef's salad. There are between 6-10 dressing options, from Caesar to lo-fat plus oil and vinegar. There is also cottage cheese and a variety of fresh fruit. Plus desserts, cookies, etc.

Hungary yet?

Budapest, thank you.

Ditto this -- I adore Princess's salad bar and that's almost all I ever eat for lunch. If you don't see a low-fat dressing option (beside standard o-&-v), just ask one of the buffet guys and they'll get one for you. Keep an eye out for the tomato vinaigrette -- it's delish.

Warning: avoid the veggie burger at the poolside grill. Inedible. But the burgers are good and I always treat myself once.

Thanks

Suzi

Last year we were on the Crown and absolutely loved the sandwiches and salads available at the International Cafe on the Plaza deck. The morning items were also fantastic as was the gelato!

The Crown Princess also has the International cafe. They have wonderful chicken salad,and shrimp salad. Also, a nice variety of sandwiches, and a large selection of desserts. We avoided the buffet, mainly because we couldn't eat a large lunch and then a large dinner, and opted to go here most days. We loved it. Every afternoon, around 3 pm., the "cookie man" was there, with plates of fresh hot cookies and milk! YUM.

The Crown Princess also has the International cafe. They have wonderful chicken salad,and shrimp salad. Also, a nice variety of sandwiches, and a large selection of desserts. We avoided the buffet, mainly because we couldn't eat a large lunch and then a large dinner, and opted to go here most days. We loved it. Every afternoon, around 3 pm., the "cookie man" was there, with plates of fresh hot cookies and milk! YUM.

Is the International Cafe an additional fee dining choice?

Archived