Deck information

danajjj

We are thinking of booking an extended balcony on the Carnival Legend. It looks like our deck choices are Empress and Verandah. Is one deck preferable over the other?

Also, would you recommend port or starboard side of the ship?

I would choose the Empress because it is between decks that only have cabins above and below. Port or starboard dont matter to me.

Been on the Legend 3 times (4th in April 2010) and have always had the aft wrap on the Verandah. Never had a problem with noise or soot etc.

Been on the Pride (sister ship of Legend) had an extended balcony on Empress deck. Like previous poster said, it has cabins above & below, so we never encountered any noise.

Oliver

We are thinking of booking an extended balcony on the Carnival Legend. It looks like our deck choices are Empress and Verandah. Is one deck preferable over the other?

Also, would you recommend port or starboard side of the ship?

Either deck is fine. We have stayed on both. If you are on deck 8 avoid being directly under the pool, all of the other areas are fine. Also be aware that on the Legend if you want to look directly down at the ocean avoid the extended balconies. They are all directly above the lifeboats so the view straight down is the top of the lifeboats. Also be aware that the difference in the extended balconies and a regular balcony is about 24 inches. Regular balconies are about 4 feet from the rail to the wall, extended are about 6 feet, unless you get it as an upgrade or plan on spending a LOT of time out there it is not worth the extra cost. Side of the ship does not matter much.

I've only been on the Miracle... extended balcony-midship-Verandah deck (7). Only sounds we ever heard (and it was never a problem) was if we were out on our balcony and the deck above us was on their balcony, we could hear them talking or moving their chairs around.

Regular balconies are about 4 feet from the rail to the wall, extended are about 6 feet, unless you get it as an upgrade or plan on spending a LOT of time out there it is not worth the extra cost. Side of the ship does not matter much.

Ditto! I liked having a balcony for the view, but agree, the extended balcony wasn't necessary. And I assumed (yes, yes I know) that being extended, we'd "extend" out more, when actually on the Spirit Class ships, you are tucked in more, and your immediate view down is the tops of the lifeboats. No biggie.. you're still on your balcony, on a cruise ship.. nothing bad about that :). Next time I will be more informed and possibly choose just a regular balcony cabin.

Have a GREAT cruise!

What ship are we talking about again?:confused:

Legend...Spirit class. Both Empress (6) and Verandah (7) have decks of all cabins above and below them.;)

To the OP, it really doesn't matter if you go with port or starboard because the ship doesn't necessarily sit in the ports the same way. The only place that is standard is in Tampa...the starboard side faces the port area, and the view from portside is a little industrial. One thing to note tho is that if you're portside, you get more morning sun on your balcony going toward the ports, and more sun coming back to Tampa. The opposite applies to starboard. If you get burned in the ports, that afternoon sun on the balcony can be killer:eek:

Thanks to all that have replied. This info is very useful, and I appreciate you sharing your opinions.

Ditto! I liked having a balcony for the view, but agree, the extended balcony wasn't necessary. And I assumed (yes, yes I know) that being extended, we'd "extend" out more, when actually on the Spirit Class ships, you are tucked in more, and your immediate view down is the tops of the lifeboats. No biggie.. you're still on your balcony, on a cruise ship.. nothing bad about that :). Next time I will be more informed and possibly choose just a regular balcony cabin.

Have a GREAT cruise!

If you are "tucked in" more, does this mean that your cabin is actually a little smaller?

Legend...Spirit class. Both Empress (6) and Verandah (7) have decks of all cabins above and below them.;)

To the OP, it really doesn't matter if you go with port or starboard because the ship doesn't necessarily sit in the ports the same way. The only place that is standard is in Tampa...the starboard side faces the port area, and the view from portside is a little industrial. One thing to note tho is that if you're portside, you get more morning sun on your balcony going toward the ports, and more sun coming back to Tampa. The opposite applies to starboard. If you get burned in the ports, that afternoon sun on the balcony can be killer:eek:

Good thoughts. I hadn't considered morning/afternoon sun!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Love all the Spirit class ships. We got the extended balc and it was a bit more spacious but I enjoy looking straight down at the water and what you see is (like mentioned above) the tops of the life boats:

exbalc.jpg

If you are "tucked in" more, does this mean that your cabin is actually a little smaller?

Not at all; the ships inner hallways have a few twists here and there and that section of mid-ship extended balconies are tucked in. If you look at the pic of the ship you'll see what I mean. Also, there are pictures of our room and balcony in my review link in my signature. We had a block of 5 rooms 7209-7227 (Veranda deck - no noise)

Wish I was going with you... you'll love it!

Also be aware that on the Legend if you want to look directly down at the ocean avoid the extended balconies. They are all directly above the lifeboats so the view straight down is the top of the lifeboats.

I like to see water when I look down, so I avoided the extended balcony. May not matter to some, but it does to me. :)

Besides, a regular balcony was just fine for the two of us.

I don't think I'd cruise without a balcony (unless someone gave me a free cruise with an inside cabin ;)) , I liked having that option to step outside, but truthfully, we hardly used it in the capacity that we thought we would. If we wanted to be outside we were up on the Lido. We had a starboard side cabin so it was very nice to watch the sunrise as we pulled into St. Thomas. I mentioned in a previous post that we had 5 balconies in a row and we wanted the divider on 2 of them opened up. We asked as soon as we got there, and each day there was one reason or another why they couldn't be. Had we been able to enjoy our balconies as a group, it would've been much nicer for sure. But... it didn't make or break our cruise, just strange how it never came to be. :confused:

Archived