Galveston Port closed?

GreenZolie

Give us an idea. I need a few laughs.

Keep in mind, Many of these were from before CCL announced compensation plans.

"Can we have free call & data for remainde?Other on board comp should be communicated early this morning.Reply good details pls"

"Special amenities like free wifi and upgrades of other kinds would go a long way"

"no security pic means progreso ain't happening. Dispute all charges on card."

"and the port is closed. We want over 50% back plus all port fees, and future credit"

"thanks for the continued updates. Much appreciated. Not upset with you, but yes let management know more is expected"

"update on compensation? Letter says 30% which is not enough"

"Ridiculous if conquest got hit, they better have me a balcony room or something!"

"I can tell u 30% not enough refund with no cozumel. Horrible decision"

"how much more refund we get ? 25% not enough for losing this much time and Cozumel. Not very happy!"

"would love a room upgrade to the best room possible if we do get out on Ecstacy"/"yes! Any room on new room. Do I use old luggage tags if we got upgraded?"

I heard that we get a 30% discount now. If u ask me that's still not enough! We were really looking forward to Cozumel!

"Thank you for your help! We are first time cruisers! And we are hoping for some discounts or upgrades after all of this!! :)"

I know it sucks big time, and I am so sorry for all the affected passengers. But why do you keep posting about the lost fare/money, when they stated early yesterday (or Saturday?) that guests who chose to cancel would be given 100% refund? Are you talking air fare & other expenses perhaps?

I didn't realize I had been posting so excessively about it. :confused:

We were *not* told on Saturday that we would be given a 100% refund. And the first time I have seen an "official" notice about the 100% refund was just now, on Dan Askins' post.

And frankly, until I call Carnival and get an official confirmation that we are getting a credit for a future cruise (which is what I want, rather than a refund) then I won't count on it being true. :D I haven't called yet, because I am in no hurry, and I was just waiting to see what was going to happen. Now that I know, I will call in a day or two.

So the new demand is;

1. Upgrade to a Suite (Hey everyone is cancelling arent they)

2. Free WiFi, Steak House dining, Drinks & anything else that has a Surcharge

3. 100% Refund of my Fare, Port Charges etc

4. a FREE Cruise in the future'

5. $500 OBC

6. Remove all tips

7. FREE DRINKS

STILL NOT ENOUGH !!!!

Automatic Upgrade to PLATINUM Status.

I mean we all now it is Carnivals Fault. They should have had a spare ship ready to pick us up. I have spent all this money on a vacation & everything.

Yeah Right, like everything in life is perfect & such.

Do you think it really is a refund or credit toward a future cruise? I am to sail on the Conquest in less than 2 weeks. If the ports were changed to a majority of Mexico ports, I would not want to go. I picked this cruise BECAUSE I only had one Mexico stop. I've just been there too much. Did they offer refunds to those who would not agree to the port changes?

Do you think it really is a refund or credit toward a future cruise? I am to sail on the Conquest in less than 2 weeks. If the ports were changed to a majority of Mexico ports, I would not want to go. I picked this cruise BECAUSE I only had one Mexico stop. I've just been there too much. Did they offer refunds to those who would not agree to the port changes?

The Ecstasy compensation is for missing two days of their cruise, and not making any ports. In the case of a port substitution, like what happened on the Conquest, you would not have the option of a refund. Cruise lines can, and do change or cancel ports for a variety of reasons.

Green Zolie,

Post as many times as you like. It's better to hear someone with an up beat attitude then a negative person. I understand your disappointment because of the need for fun time with your husband. Drive over to Oklahoma for a weekend getaway.

As one poster wrote, didn't know fog could cause such hovac. Everything that happens in life affects someone else good or bad. My sincere wishes for the best for all involved. Remember all, this is beyond CCL/RCL's control, they are human and make mistakes too. They do not control the harbor and we do not know what call the Harbormaster made and when. CCL/RCL are also in the business to make money:D.

I would think only the port fee for missed ports would be the only thing due. All others is a bonus if you don't cancel.

Happy Cruising

We waited from 9am until 7pm at the port yesterday. We were wise enough to go on the IPad early and get a line on where hotel rooms were available. There is a cheerleading competition at the conv. Center and a marathon run today. We were told that all hotels in Galv. were booked. We found two rooms in League City, 35 miles north.

Carnival is giving $45 food credit and 25% cruise cost credit as an OBC if and when we get on the ship. They also offered 100% refund if you wanted to leave.

I didn't realize I had been posting so excessively about it. :confused:

We were *not* told on Saturday that we would be given a 100% refund. And the first time I have seen an "official" notice about the 100% refund was just now, on Dan Askins' post.

I didn't intend to imply you were posting excessively about it.:) I know how extremely disappointed you must be (I sure would be), and as I previously posted I feel so sorry for all the affected guests.

I first saw the 100% refund for anyone who wished to leave offer (as you did) early yesterday morning as posted by JimInBuffalo (see above). I assumed maybe you were not aware of that when you made a couple more posts about losing your fare/money.

I hope you are able to go on a cruise in the VERY near future, and think that you have handled this situation with an amazing attitude!

auntkaty-

Yes, cruise lines can and often do change ports of call for a variety of reasons-weather, ship problems, passenger illness/injury, ect. So you have to look at cruising as just an enjoyable mode of travel (ummm....food, someone cleans up your room, all the entertainment:)) and be willing to be flexible if a port of call is changed.

Book a cruise for the ship experience and the joy of travel hoping to get to your destination but still making a great vacation if you don't;)

Just my two cents.....

I didn't intend to imply you were posting excessively about it.:) I know how extremely disappointed you must be (I sure would be), and as I previously posted I feel so sorry for all the affected guests.

I first saw the 100% refund for anyone who wished to leave offer (as you did) early yesterday morning as posted by JimInBuffalo (see above). I assumed maybe you were not aware of that when you made a couple more posts about losing your fare/money.

I hope you are able to go on a cruise in the VERY near future, and think that you have handled this situation with an amazing attitude!

Thank you. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. :)

Most of my posts about the lost fare were either in reference to how we first felt Saturday night when we opted out, assuming at that time that we would lose our money, or in reference to my assumption for the past 2 days that Carnival doesn't owe us anything and so even though I have read other posters post about the refunds, I personally have not been told by Carnival we will get a credit. So, until I do, I am operating under the assumption we won't, therefore if we do, it will feel like a Great Bonus! :D:D:D I guess I just haven't allowed myself to believe non-official posts about refunds. Rumors can vary wildly in situations such as this. As in "I heard from so and so who heard from so and so who heard from..." lol

We arrived in the cabin at 1:20 AM. Food was available and ship was ready for us. We were exhausted and slept wonderfully. Port was closed until early this morning. We have been advised that the additional delay has caused us to lose the last remaining port of call. We will now have a 3 day cruise to no where instead of a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. Here are our options:

1. 50% off this cruise; $45 OBC per person; 50% off future 2-5 day cruise, or

2. Disembark now with full refund, $45 payment for meal allowance and 25% discount on future 2-5 cruise.

We are staying.

Cruisers are upbeat and ready to get underway. A few are leaving. More steak for me.

Again, weather happens, but communications from Carnival regarding status during the wait was very poor.

Heading out with beautiful wife to have a awesome time. Bye.

Green Zolie,

Post as many times as you like. It's better to hear someone with an up beat attitude then a negative person. I understand your disappointment because of the need for fun time with your husband. Drive over to Oklahoma for a weekend getaway.

As one poster wrote, didn't know fog could cause such hovac. Everything that happens in life affects someone else good or bad. My sincere wishes for the best for all involved. Remember all, this is beyond CCL/RCL's control, they are human and make mistakes too. They do not control the harbor and we do not know what call the Harbormaster made and when. CCL/RCL are also in the business to make money:D.

I would think only the port fee for missed ports would be the only thing due. All others is a bonus if you don't cancel.

Happy Cruising

Thanks, jaycat. :)

That was also me that posted about fog wreaking such havoc, lol. I have been all over this thread. It really does help to be able to communicate with folks who truly understand the disappointment. My friends and people at work who don't cruise don't have the "cruise mentality", so even though they are disappointed for us, they don't have the knowledge (or the desire) to discuss the ins and outs of this whole situation. I am glad I have a place to post!

We arrived in the cabin at 1:20 AM. Food was available and ship was ready for us. We were exhausted and slept wonderfully. Port was closed until early this morning. We have been advised that the additional delay has caused us to lose the last remaining port of call. We will now have a 3 day cruise to no where instead of a 5 day cruise to Cozumel and Progresso. Here are our options:

2. Disembark now with full refund, $45 payment for meal allowance and 25% discount on future 2-5 cruise.

We are staying.

Cruisers are upbeat and ready to get underway. A few are leaving. More steak for me.

Again, weather happens, but communications from Carnival regarding status during the wait was very poor.

Gotta like this guy... we took a three day to nowhere over the 4th of July, but it was a last minute for us based on a tropical storm. You will have a blast.

Oh.. and send pictures of the wife :) Go have fun Dan, share the experiences of how your time on the Ecstasy mirrors those of us that have sailed her multiple times and loved every one.

Lee.

Yep, that was our main complaint Saturday. But, I guess they just didn't know enough at that point.

I love to read that!!!

If Cindy is correct and they can change ports whenever and wherever they want, I would be one unhappy camper

They certainly can.

Those who bother to read the terms and conditions/ticket contract are aware of that.

Might be a good idea for you to at least look at what you have bought and agreed to....

Here's the link:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

I am glad I am a go with the flow kind of person, as long as I am on that boat I wouldnt care which port they stopped at, I go for the experience usually not the ports, maybe a specialized one like alaska or Europe might be hard to lose things, but the caribbean to me is nearly all the same, blue water and sand is all i need. I suppose people who do get really uspet should not really be cruising.....HAVE A FANTASTIC cruise if you guys read this !!!:D:D:D

We are staying.

Have a GREAT time!!!:D

FWIW, I agree about the communication. There was a huge lack of information from both cruise lines. I understand they might not have been able to provide information on when the port would reopen, but I certainly think there should have been easy to find and frequently updated information for the stranded/delayed passengers.

Hopefully CCL and RCCL will use this incident to examine and improve their communication practices.

If Cindy is correct and they can change ports whenever and wherever they want, I would be one unhappy camper

AuntKaty: I agree about the 'unhappy camper' status, but it definitely is a possibility on any sailing.

When you get a chance, please do visit the link provided by G'ma below, as it can certainly help in realizing many of the 'what if' situations.

Unfortunately, much/most that Term & Conditions info (linked by G'ma) is NOT provided to the booking pasenger when doing an initial deposit online via CCL site. The CCL link provided at that time takes you to a different info source. And for those booking via phone call, there is no 'check to advise you have read the rules' requirement. :(

Happy cruisin' !! :)

They certainly can.

Those who bother to read the terms and conditions/ticket contract are aware of that.

Might be a good idea for you to at least look at what you have bought and agreed to....

Here's the link:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

They need to be. They are a Travel & Leisure company. People will remember the problems far more quickly than the fun when it comes time to purchase again. By them making Fair & somewhat Generous offers, they will keep most people coming back to them. Brand Loyalty is important in this industry. Just look at the Airlines, they dont care about the vacation traveler because they only fly once or twice a year. But they bend over backwards for that Business traveller & want to make sure they stay Brand Loyal to them.

Frankly, too many who travel or cruise are totally unfit. they have no understanding of the nature of either. Expecting to be paid off because of rotten weather is childish.

To expect a cruise line or air line, hotel or resort, to flip a switch and make rain, fog, cold, snow, ice, unrest or any condition - "go away" is childish.,,as is blaming the carrier/ship for the weather.....

To expect that any vendor or travel supplier or anyone else has control over such things is childish.

To expect a huge lollipop from "Nanny" as reward for some perceived injustice is childish.

In a situation like this, at most, a refund of days cancelled, return of port tax is plenty....and more than you'll get from many other suppliers..like airlines.

Carnival offered to refund the entire cruise for those who decide not to go...that's fair. However, if you chose to stay onboard,quit whining.

As for "people remembering", you may be right. However, adults are able to recognize that there are things over which they have control...and make the best of it.

Bad weather is a fact of life. Get over it.

AuntKaty: I agree about the 'unhappy camper' status, but it definitely is a possibility on any sailing.

When you get a chance, please do visit the link provided by G'ma below, as it can certainly help in realizing many of the 'what if' situations.

Unfortunately, much/most that Term & Conditions info (linked by G'ma) is NOT provided to the booking pasenger when doing an initial deposit online via CCL site. The CCL link provided at that time takes you to a different info source. And for those booking via phone call, there is no 'check to advise you have read the rules' requirement. :(

Happy cruisin' !! :)

What you say is true. However, I wonder at folks who would simply buy something like a cruise without knowing what they are buying and be aware of all the "what if's".....

With travel, there can be a surprise around every corner....knowledge is power. Those who Know what might occur aren't surprised, aren't angry, aren't demanding, don't get invovled in conspiracy theories.....

Then, there are others..............:D

I do hope that all of you Ecstasy Passengers are boarding now. We were on the inbound and were off of your ship at 12:30 pm. She is at pier 10,which is abojt 1/2 mile east of the cruise terminal. Every was bussed to tje terminal after disembarking this afternoon. I was surprised things went as well as they did in the disembark process. I commend Carnival for for doing a good jib under trying circumstances. ie 2 ships late needeing a quick turn. Y understanding was that Ecstasy passenngers would be bussed to pier 10' starting at 9PM. I think they decidedmto turn Comquest first, then Ecstasy. I know all of the poor ECSTAST PASSENIGERS ARE now over one day late departing. Have a good trip and enjoy.

PS..We are platinum, so were off first. I will be curious to hear just how long it took every one to get off the boat.

I will tell you HOW LONG it took to get off ...... it was horrible ... when we finally ended up at the terminal amid all the Conquest passengers debarking and new ones trying to get on ... that's approx. 6000 debarking combining both Conquest and Ecstasy passenger ... we left the cruise terminal at 6:10 PM after waiting in that madhouse nightmare crowd for over 5 hours with a heart patient husband and a brother in law fresh out of a cast due to a broken ankle, my sister and I (not spring chickens) wrestled our luggage from one place to another BY OURSELVES. We were instructed that everyone would "self-assist" and luggage assistance was non-existent.

Archived