Aruba car rentals

Fredr

Hello,

Thinking of renting a car on Aruba. Does anyone know which car rentals are within walking distance of the cruise terminals, or the car rental agencies that pick up at thecruise terminal.

How far is the airport from the cruise terminal, and what is an approximate charge for a taxi? If necessary, I could pick up and return the car at the airport.

Thanks.

The airport is about 3 miles away. It's been 10 years since we were there, but I wonder if there is still an independant car rental place as soon as you walk out of the port gate. The giuy that ran the place was great. He gave us a tourist map, and told us where the ship tours would go, and in general what time the busses would be at each location, so we could get there before or after. I do remember that the driving there was a little crazy, but at least you drive on the right side of the street LOL.

Why do you want to rent a car? We NEVER rent one. Why? We don't know the roads, the driver must keep their eyes on the road and can't see the 'scenery', even with a map you must know when to turn here and there, sometimes the other drivers are crazy. YOU must plan where to go, etc. Once a family almost missed the ship as thery got stuck in traffic and didn't know a awy to get out of it. We watched them run to the ship it was being untied from the dock.

We bargan with a cab driver for a tour of the island. They know the island, we can tell them what we want to see and you'll have someone who can tell you about Aruba. They will stop where ever you say for as long as you want. If we don't like their price we say so and go to the next cab driver. The price gets lower when they see you walk away from a cabbie.

Cruised to Aruba 2 weeks ago. Reserved a car from Royal. Called company after waiting an hour. Told someone would be there soon. Finally gave us to an other company after waiting 2 hours(speed car rental). Don't use..stick with know name.. Avis, Hertz etc. Royal not the way to go.:mad:

Hello,

Thanks to all for your prompt responses.

Bonnie, after 31 cruises to most parts of the world, there are places where renting a car makes much more sense to me. Examples are Alaska, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, and Aruba. You need to do your research and carefully watch the time. However, having a car allows you to have much more freedom over what you want to see and do.

Sure, you can get a taxi, but there are many horror stories of taxi drivers not knowing anything except maybe how to drive their cars.

I have driven in Aruba and it is a nice place to drive.

Thanks again for responding.

Archived