Best port to get hair braided?

Nicole721

We're sailing on the Miracle at the end of May to Grand Caymen/Costa Maya/Cozumel/Belize. In Costa Maya, we're going to Uvero beach and we're going to Playa Mia in Cozumel, but we have some free time in both, as well as some free time in GC and Belize, and I really want to get my hair braided (with bands, not foils)!

I hear it's not worth it to get it done on the ship (unless someone here has an experience that I should otherwise consider it?). Where is the best (and most affordable) place to get it done?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer :)

25 yr old daughter got her's braided at Uvero Beach in Costa Maya - had done the Jungle Beach Break excursion off of Carnival Inspiration - they did her's for $25 but I think the price is very negotiable everywhere because she heard them telling someone right after her more! She did go right over to them first thing after getting off the bus, so maybe that's why she was able to get cheaper? Her "do" lasted couple of weeks.

If you have it done in the 1st port that it is available, then the hair braiders will leave you alone. It gets so annoying to be asked every few minutes if you want your hair braided. Once they see you've had it done, no more asking. I'm actually tempted to get it done somewhere here at home before we go next time although, that would probably be expensive.

In my humble opinion a female with braided hair looks absolutely goofy:p

Even the beautiful Bo Derek looked completely unsexy and weird with her hair braided and she is one of the most beautiful woman in the world!

When I see the girls/women aboard ship with their hair braided I think to myself "I wonder if that poor girl/women knows how stupid she looks with her hair braided?"...sorry, just being honest!

Just say NO to hairbraiding...please:D

But not for the same reason. It is a BIG pain to get that mess out of your hair. And it will tear and break your hair!!! Wish I had not have done it.

Just have them gove you a good brushing and maybe put in a pony-tail holder or something.

My daughters have done that while on cruises and I agree, they look kind of silly. But if you really want it done, my only advise would be to bring your own comb. I remember standing there, watching dumbfounded, as the person doing the braiding used the same comb over and over, and not just on my own daughters. Marcia

Have your hair braided early for two reasons.

1. They will quit pestering you once it is done.

2. It takes about 3 days for the lice to hatch and begin to itch. By doing it early you can enjoy the entire braiding experience on the trip.

poke

I have never seen hair braiding in Grand Cayman, but that doesn't mean it' s not available there. My daughter had hers done in Cozumel two years ago. We only paid $10 - $12 dollars (braided to the crown of the head, not all the way down). We went off the beaten path a bit. They were charging $25 on the main street in town.

Her hair looked so cute (she was 7 at the time) and it kept me from having to fix her hair every day. It lasted 2 weeks, and was not that tough to get out. She did seem to lose a little bit of hair when we took the braids out, but it was no big deal.

I think the braids look cute if done right, and on the right person. If you want it done, do it! It's your vacation!

LOL maybe I should have clarified...

I've HAD it done before, when I was in Nassau. I was just wondering where the best/least expensive place to get it done in the W. Caribbean itinerary for the Miracle was.

Thanks to everyone who's replied though...definitely helpful and thought provoking!

Archived