Star Clipper Sept. 14, 2011 Aegean Greece to Turkey with Vantage

longduo

We just signed up for the Vantage charter on the Star Clipper: Sailing the Aegean-Classic Greece and Turkey's Turquoise Coast Sept. 14-30, 2011. Is anyone else on that trip? Or, has anyone else done that trip in the past who might have advice either about the Star Clipper or the itinerary?

• 2 weeks later...
just returned from STar Flyer cruise with Vantage to Costa Rica. Also have done Greek Islands and Turkey with another small cruise. What do you want to know? I'd be happy to help.:)

Hyderokitty, was your Greece/Turkey cruise on a Clipper ship?

On the Clipper ships are there lounges on the open decks? How was the food? How informal was dinner? Were passengers who knew what they were doing allowed to help with the sails, etc.? I read somewhere that teh snorkeling equipment was pretty bad. Should we bring our own?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Hyderokitty, was your Greece/Turkey cruise on a Clipper ship?

On the Clipper ships are there lounges on the open decks? How was the food? How informal was dinner? Were passengers who knew what they were doing allowed to help with the sails, etc.? I read somewhere that teh snorkeling equipment was pretty bad. Should we bring our own?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Our cruise to Greece/Turkey was not on a clipper ship but on a small cruise ship (Louis Cruise line, the Perla). We started and ended in Athens and usually made a different port each day.

Regarding the Clipper ship: we just returned from Costa Rica on board the Star Flyer. The ship holds about 170 passegers (depending on the vessel) and we were in a level 1 cabin, which was quite comfortable with a full bathroom, plenty of storage space and excellent service. Only downside is the a/c, which is NOT individually controlled, but the Aegean should be much cooler than Costa RIca was. The food was very nice with quite an extensive selection. Breakfast and LUnch were full buffet with many choices ranging from cereal to made to order omelets at b-fast and salads or hot meal at lunch. Dinner had a choice of appetizers (beware they call them entrees!) soup, salad, sorbet and either a fish, meat or vegetarian main dish and a choice or dessert. Dress for dinner was not that formal, although shorts, bathing suits (with cover-ups) were not allowed. ( They are allowed at b-fast and lunch). I had no trouble wearing black jeans and a gauzy type blouse and some were even wearing capri pants. Most of the men wore docker type slacks and polo or sport shirts. There are plenty of chaise lounges on the sun deck, the problem was very few of them were in shade. Again, this probably won't be so bad on the Aegean, but it was terrible in CR! I borrowed snorkeling gear but confess I never used it, so I can't vouch for it's quality, although I didn't hear any complaints. If you have your own and snorkeling is very important to you and you have room in your suitcase bring your own. I'm not sure where in the Aegean you'll be snorkeling though. The only place I can think of is Santorini and the water was freezing in Sept.! They did permit people to help with hoisting the sails on at least two occasions....we're boat people, so I'm going to be very honest with you....it was strictly for show....in fact I think the whole sailing thing was primarily for show. Twice we had a "sail hoisting ceremony" at twilight as we left port. The ship is magnificent under sail, as you might imagine, BUT, as soon as everyone left the deck and went below for the night, the sails came down and the engine went on! I know this for a fact because I was on the main deck and the sailors were walking on our ceiling!:D We also had a "ride around" the ship on the tenders for those who wanted to take pictures of the ship with all the sails in place and the crew standing on the bow sprit....again, once we were back on board the sails came down. I can understand the need for this since, even though it's a sailing ship, it has to maintain a strict schedule, and as a sailor you know how hard that is to do if there's no wind. It was a lovely trip, I'm glad I did it. I just don't know if I would do it again. But I can tell you this: Greece and Turkey were marvelous!! Any questions on shore excursions? :D

• 5 months later...

Hello I was planning on doing Vantage Costa Rica trip and I was told that you have to use rope ladders while on the ship, is that true?

How complicated is to get on and off the tenders/zodiacs? Do you think is an adequate ship for seniors?

Also someone told me that the cruise director was not very friendly.

All the information you can share about the trip will help us make up our minds.

Thank you in advance.

nachoge - One or two general answers to your questions. No - passengers (or crew) do not use rope ladders for getting on/off the Clippers. They use a gangway which is a flight of adjusting steps with hand support. The gangway is lowered at the side of the ship and the bottom of the gangway is lowered on to a platform at sea level for tender journeys, or on to the quayside when in port. There are no lifts on the Clippers so you need to be able to use stairs in the normal way. As far as "Seniors" are concerned the oldest passenger we have heard of was 104. The oldest couple we have met were 100 and 97. There is a lady from England who is, I think, about 90 and she does the transatlantic each year. There are also younger passengers on board!!

There was one Cruise Director a couple of years ago of whom some passengers were critical - he left shortly after. The Cruise Directors are usually highly regarded and one of them, Peter Kissner, is almost a legend among many passengers.

Something has drawn you to the Clippers - why not give it a go. The chances of you being disappointed are minimal (We have done 12 trips in all and the most I have heard of (from an authoritative source) for one passenger is 150 trips.) Good luck.

Archived