island escape - any news of current cruise (20.2.11)

liamjake

Not long home from my Spirit/IE cruise. Will do a review in the next few days, but I don't think much aesthetic refurb was done. Had no issues though, although it was interesting being able to compare the two vessels.

Yeah we were on the spirit coz the IE wasnt ready & i was really looking forward to it ...Still we enjoyed our hol despite the rough seas & missing out morocco ..I was a bit peeved tho having to walk past the island escape on our way home :( it felt a bit like the old Bullseye programme "heres what you could have won " but heres a bendy bully & off you go :D

Not long home from my Spirit/IE cruise. Will do a review in the next few days, but I don't think much aesthetic refurb was done. Had no issues though, although it was interesting being able to compare the two vessels.

I, like many others, I am sure, have been checking this site for feedback regarding recent work on IE and how she is faring currently. I log on at least twice a day hoping for some snippet of information so am eager to see your review:D

Cheers

Gill

Yeah we were on the spirit coz the IE wasnt ready & i was really looking forward to it ...Still we enjoyed our hol despite the rough seas & missing out morocco ..I was a bit peeved tho having to walk past the island escape on our way home :( it felt a bit like the old Bullseye programme "heres what you could have won " but heres a bendy bully & off you go :D

Glad you enjoyed your holiday but it must have seemed odd walking past the IE

Hi everyone

we have just returned from a week on IE

we have cruised on 2 other ships , so we are able to compare our trips.

as previously stated , the staff were amazing & the cruise stops were fantastic, Fuchal & Agadir were my favuorite.

But (sorry but its a big but)i saw very little evidence of a refurb.

we were in a premiere cabin, out toilet didn't flush on the first day at all & was a problem throughout the trip, our shower was very weak at best. despite visits to reception.

the cabin was very tired & this was a theme throughout the whole ship.

IMHO: had this been my first cruise , it really would have made me think twice about cruising again, but having cruised before, we know better.

I think your hols are what you make it , so we tried our best not to allowed the issues to bother us, we showered everyday & the toilets for the pub & lounge were just a walk away.

gazz

got to agree with above post very dissapointed with my cruise last week got back yesterday toilet wount flush 1 day cabin noisy like i was sleeping next to washing machine and black soot coming out of the air con which u couldnt switch off and was blasting cold air all the time. food basically the same every day if u like crumble or bread butter pudding ur ok. only good thing was the entertainment.

I'm just back from the 18 Feb Tenerife sailing.

I've not sailed on IE before, so don't know what she was like last year.

If I get the time, I'll write a fuller review, but until then, a few comments:

- The only sign of cabin refurb was that 7010 has a new shower curtain.

Whether ALL cabins have received this treatment is uncertain.

- At first, there were a lot of strange smells and signs of neglect (as if the ship had

been out of use for a few months...) but things improved through the week.

I wouldn't say that there was a massive "clean ship" programme under way though,

it didn't look much more energetic than what I saw on Azura last summer

(she was brand new.)

The focus seemed to be on things that can be seen from a distance (so the blue

lettering on the side was getting careful attention, but the windows were filthy.)

- There was a fearsome banging from the front of the ship at night when she was moving

on the first couple of nights - but that did stop. I concluded that the thing that was

making the noise had either been secured or had fallen off into the sea.

- I heard one comment that IE was/is sailing with a reduced number of passengers

(but all of the sunbeds were occupied (by towels) on several occasions....)

- The best news... the ship offers cycle-tours (which aren't advertised in the A5

booklet.) So - instead of going on a coach trip or a walk around the port, you can

tour the area by bike.

Anyone who was hoping that IE would emerge from Dry Dock in a new up-market role will probably be disappointed.

Thanks for above reports. I had realized that the bulk of the work being done was maintenance (engines etc) although hoped bathrooms would have had a facelift. :) We had no problems with shower or toilets when we were on last year. However, I am still looking forward to our cruise. We loved the IE although we had nothing to compare her with. :D

Thanks again. Kind regards. Mo. :)

Thanks for above reports. I had realized that the bulk of the work being done was maintenance (engines etc) although hoped bathrooms would have had a facelift. :) We had no problems with shower or toilets when we were on last year. However, I am still looking forward to our cruise. We loved the IE although we had nothing to compare her with. :D

Thanks again. Kind regards. Mo. :)

:cool: We are also looking forward to our first cruise,some friends that have just returned said that they had really enjoyed it and the cabin that they had looked really fresh and clean,and food was good.

We have just returned from a week on IE (18-25 Feb) This is our third time on board this ship and we had also heard about the refurbishment. However, it was the engine/technical side of the ship that was refurbished and not the cabins or public areas. There was one problem we had with the toilets not flushing but after that they were OK. The cabins and public areas could do with updating including the pool deck. The restuarants are fine and the food is very good. Entertainment is excellent. We enjoyed our cruise and also the weather was great and the places we stopped in were very enjoyable. There is a shuttle bus in Agadir and Arricife. The walk from the ship to town in Madeira is quite far if you don't like walking or are unable to walk far so a taxi would be a good idea. As I said this was our third time on IE and each time I say I am not going back on that ship and I said that this time whilst on board at the beginning of the holiday. However, everyone of the crew are very nice and it may be that I will return.

We have just returned from a week on IE (18-25 Feb) This is our third time on board this ship and we had also heard about the refurbishment.

and it may be that I will return.

Hi Dexy,

Good to read your report. I am due to go on 11th March on a back to back cruise.

Was there fresh fruit available in the buffets? and is there water readily available, or do you have to buy it?

We have just returned from a week on IE (18-25 Feb) This is our third time on board this ship and we had also heard about the refurbishment. However, it was the engine/technical side of the ship that was refurbished and not the cabins or public areas. There was one problem we had with the toilets not flushing but after that they were OK. The cabins and public areas could do with updating including the pool deck. The restuarants are fine and the food is very good. Entertainment is excellent. We enjoyed our cruise and also the weather was great and the places we stopped in were very enjoyable. There is a shuttle bus in Agadir and Arricife. The walk from the ship to town in Madeira is quite far if you don't like walking or are unable to walk far so a taxi would be a good idea. As I said this was our third time on IE and each time I say I am not going back on that ship and I said that this time whilst on board at the beginning of the holiday. However, everyone of the crew are very nice and it may be that I will return.

Interesting to hear that there is a shuttle bus in Agadir, do you know how much that costs and where it drops you off? We are going on the 11 March trip and we are a little scared of Morocco being a different clulture but are not ones to stay on the ship. We had heard it was too far to walk to the centre of Agadir and that the little red taxis were a lot of hassle. Other than trying to find the McDonalds on the beach, I wasn't sure what else to do there. Is it safe with all the trouble currently going on in that part of the world? Do you need Moroccan money or are you ok with euros?

Also do you have any idea what time the cut off was for excursions on the last day in Tenerife, as we would like to do a 4 hour trip but expect that we won't have time. We fly at 3.35pm back home, so presumably coach will leave the ship around noon to take us to the airport.

Finally, in the beachcomber, what are the chances of two people being able to find a table to sit at without having to share with others? We are very antisocial lol...

The refit didnt reach the cabins or public toilets!! Ship ok at a distance but shabby and tired in some areas. We booked in a rush & didnt know the history of Island Escape. Great staff, food fine, smell of varnish & paint in some public rooms was awful. Drinks prices ok, entertainment very good. Shows especially were of a high standard. Breakaway restaurant was nasty, Island Restaurant very good with loads of choice, something to suit everyone. Our friends were ill with d & v and so were lots of other people it seems but the medics were quick to respond & give treatment. Worst beds we have ever had to sleep in and the bathroom was shabby. Our stewardess was lovely and kept everything in good order. Have to say that the stars were the staff, all of them. Dont think we will be returning. Sophia L.

progress.gif

You reminded me ... the noise on one night was unbelievable. I thought we were going down! I went out in to the corridor to see if we were evacuating. The banging was coming up through our floor and shaking the cabin! I also hate to say we heard scratching, clawing, gnawing as well in the roof void above our beds. It was the last night and another passenger told me she was sure there were mice in their cabin. Hope Im wrong. Dont even want to think what was up there!

You reminded me ... the noise on one night was unbelievable. I thought we were going down! I went out in to the corridor to see if we were evacuating. The banging was coming up through our floor and shaking the cabin! I also hate to say we heard scratching, clawing, gnawing as well in the roof void above our beds. It was the last night and another passenger told me she was sure there were mice in their cabin. Hope Im wrong. Dont even want to think what was up there!

Just wondering where you cabin was?

I have previously had 5561 and 5518 (Coral deck) hadn't prebooked cabins but when I rang last week to book one there was only 3 left 6000, 6002 & 6004 so looks like we'll get one of those ( bit near front for my liking but can't do much about it now)

Reply appreciated

the shuttle bus is 4 euro into agair 2 for kids drops u off at mcdonalds the beach looks great until u walk on it it full of plastic bottles bags etc until u reach the tide line then its ok. mcdonalds also takes euros and free wifi.

im glad all the neg comments are appearing now i thought it was just me being picky but ralise others had the same problems, im like the others im glad i have been on other cruise ships because if this was my first cruise i would never go on another.

:eek: Glad it wasnt ready in time for our trip now i think!

Archived