Wearing Shorts to dinner?

CruzinWithMom

This is just my opinion:

It just seems that the rules keep getting relaxed. Part of cruising is that elegance, etc.

OK I'll try again because I never did get an answer from anyone.

I don't wear shorts to dinner nor do I care what another person wears but.

#1 what is the difference between a nice pair of longer bermuda style shorts and a micro mini that some women classify as dressed up.

#2 I have in an above post stated the "rules" from the NCL site, in their FAQ, where is everyone else getting the "rule" information from.

NCL states: "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

As you can see it says "includes", then gives the no no's but doesn't give shorts in the no no's.

Why not just wear pants to dinner and change after dinner if your legs really need the air !

This comment actually brings back a very funny conversation that I had with my husband a few weeks ago about our cruise.

Me: Sorry DH we won’t have time to eat on this cruise, especially on sea days.

DH: Why? you know I like my food

Me: We’ll be too busy changing our clothing with the itinerary I have set up for us.

DH: Then I’m not going because you know I like to eat

Me: OK here goes,

We get up in the morning showering etc and put on something comfy to laze around our cabin and catch the sunrise.

Then change into something a little warmer “resort casual” for some onboard activities.

Then we come back change to our swimsuits for a soak in the hottub and grab a lounger before they are all saved to catch some sun.

Back to get out of our wet suits and into some “daytime resort casual” for some more onboard activities.

Back to rechange into bathingsuit for some more pool fun

Then off we go again to get out of those wet things to change into night time “resort casual” for dinner

Into our suits again to catch a night time hottub to relax after the long day, before the pools shut down

Back again to rechange into our night time “resort casual” for night activities.

Finally to our room for some comfy clothes again to chill in before bed.

As you can see we changed for dinner but not sure where we’re going to fit in to eat;)

I know that this has been discussed many times but I'm unable to find the specific thread.

We are going on the Jewel out of New York, May 1 and have questions about wearing shorts to the main dinning room.

Are Bermuda dress shorts and nice shirts acceptable? We are trying to figure out what to pack and really not into dressing up for dinner.

Are dress shorts acceptable at all the restaurants also..

Would you ware these dress shorts to a wedding?

Thats probably a very loaded question since I don't know what you see at weddings where you live but we see some pretty laid back clothing here at them now a days.

I seem to recall the 80's being pretty bad for the push on don't encourage your children to wear "venue appropriate" clothing that it somehow stifles their need for individuality. I think thats when the change really started for all ages not just teens that were going through the rebellion against society. And now it has became somewhat socially acceptable practices.

:D Except of course with CCers :D

And this sums up the issue in a nutshell. "Freestyle" never has meant "no dress code", but unfortunately a certain number of NCL cruisers have decided that's what it means. I guess that comes with the territory when your entry level pricing is competitive with a Greyhound bus. :rolleyes:

Why is it so hard to take a pair of decent jeans or khakis with you and wear it to dinner if you're eating in a restaurant that doesn't allow shorts?

1. Its not hard at all. 2. I do wear khakis but would never bring jeans aboard. 3. I think that it has been well established that shorts are allowed in the MDR. 4. More thought should be put into the most formal night being "formal, or not".

What I should have included in my post is that I will not be wearing shorts but feel as if it would be perfectly fine.

What kind of shoes and/or socks go with "dress shorts"?

A half ankle "new" pair or white sports socks give a clean line and just classes up what I consider a guido look with no socks. If you were to see a side by side, you would certainly see what I mean. My preference is Joe Boxer but any quality sock will do.

LOL. Of course not. At least not to any of the weddings that I have ever attended, they are FORMAL. The Epic has on the most dress up night of the entire 7 day cruise "formal, or not". Pretty much the opposite of any wedding that I have attended.

OK I'll try again because I never did get an answer from anyone.

I don't wear shorts to dinner nor do I care what another person wears but.

#1 what is the difference between a nice pair of longer bermuda style shorts and a micro mini that some women classify as dressed up.

#2 I have in an above post stated the "rules" from the NCL site, in their FAQ, where is everyone else getting the "rule" information from.

NCL states: "Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the Aft Main Dining Room (our more formal Dining Room) and in Le Bistro, on cruises that are more than five days long. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in any of our main dining rooms or specialty restaurants"

As you can see it says "includes", then gives the no no's but doesn't give shorts in the no no's.

Here's the problem. The "rules" you cite from the FAQs are not "the rules" in reality. "The rules" actually are set by the hotel staff of each ship, can vary somewhat from ship to ship, and even from season to season or itinerary to itinerary on the same ship. The only "real" rules are those published in each ship's Freestyle Daily...and sometimes even the "real" rules are not strictly enforced if the hostess at the dining room door doesn't want to confront passengers not following the "rules".

1. Its not hard at all. 2. I do wear khakis but would never bring jeans aboard. 3. I think that it has been well established that shorts are allowed in the MDR. 4. More thought should be put into the most formal night being "formal, or not".

What I should have included in my post is that I will not be wearing shorts but feel as if it would be perfectly fine.

No, that hasn't been well-established. On at least some NCL ships the published rules prohibit shorts in at least one of the MDRs and Le Bistro.

Here's the problem. The "rules" you cite from the FAQs are not "the rules" in reality. "The rules" actually are set by the hotel staff of each ship, can vary somewhat from ship to ship, and even from season to season or itinerary to itinerary on the same ship. The only "real" rules are those published in each ship's Freestyle Daily...and sometimes even the "real" rules are not strictly enforced if the hostess at the dining room door doesn't want to confront passengers not following the "rules".

This isn't actually true. The rules are what they are in written form (don't even bring up the fact that the ones on the NCL site are different from the ones printed in the Freestyle Daily). The maitre d' of each venue and his staff are the enforcement officers. Equate it to federal, state or city laws are the "rules" and it's up to law enforcement to enforce them. If the posted speed limit is 65mph, the fact that there's no one right there to enforce it doesn't change the speed limit......

I am not speaking about enforcing and who does or doesn’t, that to me is not the real problem or issue. And really has nothing to with my point. But you have however, helped make my case.

That if the FAQ or the pamphlet I received with my baggage tags (pre-cruise and pre-packed) does not specify and just gives loose guidelines then my point still stands that NCL could eliminate this issue by setting rules that the front line workers would not have to wing it, interpret or anything else. Therefore, allowing me to know exactly what I have to pack while I’m still at home, if I wish to go in any dining facility onboard. Waiting until I get onboard to read the dailies (which again in my copy of the star daily from 2 weeks ago is still not precise), or to walk there to find a sign is a little too late to pack my bag with what is expected.

I do not recall seeing any sign at any restaurant on the Dawn when we sailed her, but as also stated if I did see it at the time I would not have retained that information because it would not have applied to me as we do dress for dinner. So if there are signs at certain venues (and I trust you know this) then the only real place to find NCL’s rule is at the door of the venue, a little late to start telling people, as far as I’m concerned. So I really can’t blame the front line workers for making a call based probably on the fuss the customer makes when they are standing there to just discover that they are not allowed to enter because of a clothing choice that was never directly specified previously.

At the risk of getting flamed, what's so hard to put on a pair of Dockers or nice jeans when you eat in one of the dinning rooms at dinner. Please don't give me the worn out argument "I'm on vacation and I can wear what I want". If you want to wear shorts, eat in the buffet.

Amen!!!

This isn't actually true. The rules are what they are in written form (don't even bring up the fact that the ones on the NCL site are different from the ones printed in the Freestyle Daily). The maitre d' of each venue and his staff are the enforcement officers. Equate it to federal, state or city laws are the "rules" and it's up to law enforcement to enforce them. If the posted speed limit is 65mph, the fact that there's no one right there to enforce it doesn't change the speed limit......

If the rules are what they are in written form, when two written sources differ, which one governs? Common sense suggests it is what is written in the Freestyle daily, because that is contemporary, as oposed to a booklet that was printed a year or 18 months ago. Should these differ? No...but they do, and the hotel officers on the ship make the decision on the rules for their ship. That's why two people cruising at the same time but on different ships will report different rules in place.

That if the FAQ or the pamphlet I received with my baggage tags (pre-cruise and pre-packed) does not specify

From that very pamphlet:

"Even swimwear with a cover-up is okay at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for men; for women, pants or jeans, dresses, or skirts and tops are perfect. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants."

From that very pamphlet:

"Even swimwear with a cover-up is okay at the buffet and outdoor restaurant. When you're ready for dinner, it's collared shirts and pants or nice jeans for men; for women, pants or jeans, dresses, or skirts and tops are perfect. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants."

Yes dockrocker I did read that pamphlet. My argument was not on shorts or no, dress or not but on clarity of information. I can see how that pamphlet would lead some to believe that these were just suggestions and some to see these as the rules. Are perfect??? Why not just come out and say such and such will not be allowed in.., the same way that there is this apparent sign at the doorways that says "these are not allowed" That way the shorts / sandal wearers would not be blindsided at their venue of choice that evening or claim they had no idea and the "omg that person has shorts on" could relax and not worry about what their neighboring table was wearing.

Seems like then everyone could be just happy and enjoy their vacations. Although I am realistic enough to know that sometimes ya just can't please everyone .

NCL I thought sez no shorts in the main dining rooms.

Like I said and others as well -- just eat in one of the other venues.

Use your common sense if you don't want to dress the part -- take a different vacation, there are many other cruises you can live in your shorts.

HAVE FUN CRUISING

We will be wearing our pants!

NCL I thought sez no shorts in the main dining rooms.

Like I said and others as well -- just eat in one of the other venues.

Use your common sense if you don't want to dress the part -- take a different vacation, there are many other cruises you can live in your shorts.

HAVE FUN CRUISING

We will be wearing our pants!

I think it depends on the ship. People should consult their dailies once onboard. One of our MDR's allowed shorts as did all of the pay restaurants except Le Bistro. As long as you are following the rules for your ship there shouldn't be any problems. My husband and son wore them all nights except for the night we ate in the MDR that didn't allow them.

Archived