Men wearing sandals on formal night -Valor

LVMullet

I am wearing Tommy Bahama Shorts and button down shirts with Born sandals to MDR all but the elegant nights, in which i will be wearing a suit both nights. I would never wear my Born Sandals on the beach, it would ruin them. Flip flops and sandals are very different.

Hey, they let in a guy with shorts and flip flops on the second elegant night while I was on the Dream a couple weeks ago. Nobody said a word that I saw.

If his intentions were to stand out in a crowd, he met his objective.

Sandals are not formal wear....they are beach wear.

And' date=' no, I've never seen anyone wear sandals on formal night in the dining room. Those who wish to dress causally usually go to the buffet.

As for other nights, sandals would seem to be ok...usually worn with sox....[/quote']

First off there is no formal night so whether it's formal wear is not an issue.

The only dress code pertaining to shoes is that beach flip-flops are not allowed.

Those who wish to wear sandals can go to the MDR on Cruise Elegant evenings.

The only dress code pertaining to shoes is that beach flip-flops are not allowed.

And The Three Stooges could attend a Mensa meeting, but they would still be totally out of place and a laughingstock. :rolleyes:

You can wear flip flops in the mdr if they are embellished with sparkles ect. so if men want to wear flip flops just make them fancy with some man sparkles! :)

I have never seen a pair of formal men's sandals?

Now we women have all the sparkly fancy ones but I don't think he'd wear that?

DH and I are very INformal people so he has a pair of black leather walking shoes/sneakers(very comfy shoes) that he wears on elegant nights but not sandals.

I have seen Hollywood types wearing sneakers with a tux on tv so I guess almost anything goes?

Here in San Diego we have been to informal weddings where all the men were decked out in Hawaiian shirts and sandals. Even the bride's father wore a tux top(jacket )and shorts with flipflops!! I personally don't care what anyone else wears. It is your vacation so do what you please!

My husband has a pair of black leather Kenneth Cole sandals and a pair of tan leather Stacy Adams sandals. Both are very dressy and cost well over $100 per pair. They are designed to be worn with dress slacks. I think people are confusing sandals with flipflops.

Elegant/Formal nights are not what they use to be. I would say less than 50% dress this way now. I wear Docker pants, Cruise shirt, and my Columbia sandal's. Yes, open toe, but high dollar. You can't really see my foot because of the pants. I have never been turned away at anytime. I'm I all dress up? No, but I don't look like a bum either.

Yet another question about dress code. Do men ever wear sandals into the main diningroom on formal night or otherwise?

Thanks

yes , even saw tee shirts in the MDR on formal nite on the Glory . but it did not ruin my appetite . shorts & flip flops were very common also .

My teenager will be wearing sandals with his slacks.

1) it's what he wears to church during the summer.

2) Better than his tennis shoes as he would prefer (I let him do this on a more casual 3 day, with his shirt and tie! :eek:)

2) you can't fit much else in a suitcase when you wear size 14 shoes. Guys don't need a suitcase of shoes. Who really cares if he's wearing sandals (Not flip flops)? Dressy shoes would only be wore at most 3 hours for 2 formal nights. He needs the roon in his suitcase for other stuff!

Due to "foot issues" DH can no longer wear "dress shoes" He does have some very nice stylish sneakers and yes some very nice dressy sandals. He wore each pair once to the elegant nights with his dress clothes. Looked mighty good in MHO -

As long as folks attempt to dress appropriately - leave 'em alone. When you pay for my cruise and purchase my clothes - then you can tell me what to wear and when. If you want truly formal - choose a cruise line that requires such.

Chill out and relax folks - it's supposed to be a vacation :D

Most people won't pay any attention to the sandals on someone's feet if the rest of their wardrobe is consistent with wearing sandals - you could make this work with a pair of nice slacks and a resort-casual type of shirt.

But probably not really appropriate on elegant night - sorry - and on my last Carnival cruise, you'd have stuck out like a sore thumb in the MDR.

I think people get so worked up about dress on elegant night that they forget that most men in the MDR really do dress up a bit - not in tuxes, but with nice slacks, a sports jacket, dressy shirt, more often than not, a tie. They may take 'em off 5 minutes after dessert is over, but that's after they've left the restaurant.

Archived