stay in fll or miami pre and post cruise?

ruthgm

Hi there. We are cruising out of POM in June. Will fly to FLL on Saturday early afternoon for a Sunday cruise. Will fly out of FLL on MOnday late morning following Sunday return. Not sure if we should stay in FLL or Miami (or somewhere in between). What are the pros and cons of each choice? We are in our 30s/40s. FIrst time away from our children and celebrating our 10th anniversary. WOuld like to relax, enjoy pool or beach, eat a nice meal, buy wine and other supplies for the cruise, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!:)

We've stayed in both Miami and Fort Lauderdale pre and post cruise! If you're sailing out of Miami I would suggest perhaps an overnight there and experience what it has to offer and then it's not so far to port from hotel. We had a nice time shopping at bayside getting last things for cruise in Miami. South Beach is also great for walking, chilling out with al fresco dining and plenty shops. Then have a post cruise night in FL so you can enjoy as much time in city and be close to airport! FL is amazing aswell with lots of shopping and dining on Las Olas and in the Galleria shopping centre, enjoy water taxi, etc. Both places have so much to offer and loads to do and see! I don't find any cons for either, the difficult thing will be deciding where exactly to stay to do as much as you can while there... Enjoy!

It depends upon how early your flight into FLL arrives. :confused: If you are arriving early enough to enjoy the beach, dining and nightlife of Miami Beach I would stay there before the cruise, other wise I would stay in FLL prior to cruise and then stay in Miami Beach after the cruise when you will have a full day. It's your anniversary and Miami Beach is much more attractive and fun than downtown Miami. :cool: Check these boards and Blue Heron's blog for suggestions on where to stay and eat.

You can shuttle from FLL to either POM or Miami Beach with QLS, SAS (www.ridesas.com) or another shuttle service for about $15 per person. From South Beach to POM a taxi will cost you about $15. The same shuttle services can get you back from either POM or Miami Beach to FLL for your return flight. Good luck! :)

If your flight is on time that will get you to Miami Beach by about 1:30 or 2:00 -- plenty of time to enjoy the beach, dining and nightlife and get your cruise vacation off to a great start. Here's a link to Blue Heron's Miami Beach blog (she is a regular on these boards ;)): http://blueheronsmiamiinformation.blogspot.com/

With a 9:00 AM flight I would shuttle from POM back to the FLL area - you'll need to be at the airport by 7:00 or so and it makes sense to stay closer so that you don't have to get up too early. Look at hotels in the 17th street/downtown area (every major chain is there) and most have free airport shuttles, or finish your vacation in style and stay on the beach again.

Good luck! :)

In Miami Beach look at the Fountainebleau, Sagamore and Ritz Carlton -- and pack a fat wallet! :rolleyes:

If you decide on Downtown Miami I am not a fan of Bayside Market (a tourist trap full of chain restaurants - can't you eat at Hooters and Chilis at home? :confused:), but many cruisers like it and swear by the Holiday Inn across the street. Other hotels to look for include the Intercontinental, Hyatt, and the Marriott & Doubletree Biscayne Blvd.

I stay at the Doubletree when in Miami on business - very nice rooms, some with a view of POM, and the bar/dining room in the lobby is very good. For dinner walk 2 blocks to Bin 18 (Biscayne & 18th) - great mediterranean inspired bistro with wonderful food and an extensive wine and imported beer list. :eek:

Every time I go to FLL we stay at the Pier 66 - great location and pool.

Good luck and congratulations on your anniversary! :)

Archived