Anti-Chair Hog Policy?

irishayes

On my recent Summit cruise, the hogs were out in force. At one point 2 families almost came to blows over a row of chairs poolside...I was there for the entire event. I got to the pool about 8:30...a row of 5 chairs in front of me had the sunvisor, towel, flip flop, etc. They sat empty with no one even walking by to look at them ...around 9:45 a family with a butler in tow came over and told him they had been "watching" the chairs since 8am....the butler removed the items and the second group was seated ...at a bit after 10am the first family arrived...and the yelling, cussing and name calling started...LOUD and RUDE!! The butler and security came over...eventually the butler's moved the row of chairs back and brought more chairs for family #1....and so they were all squeezed into a small area...I left around noon and took all my stuff with me.

4 days later sitting in the same chair...the same family did the same thing....

Here's my thought....your on vacation....do you really want to scream and cuss over some chairs???? Really?

You have to get in "the world revolves around me" mode to fit in on some cruises (and some restaurants, etc.). We have all seen parents sitting at the dinner table in a restaurant and their kids running wild around everyone else's tables; we have seen parents who just let their kids run anywhere they want with no supervision...and they are the first to complain and sue if their children get hurt. Why is it unreasonable to expect that these same folks wouldn't think...I'm on a cruise, I paid for it, so I should be able to reserve a chair all day. It just doesn't dawn on them that there are other folks who don't have chairs...their answer is, well they should get up at 7am and get them.

Unfortunately, that's where we are as a society....so you can either continue to be rational passengers who care about your fellow passengers and their enjoyment....or you can join the chair hogs, because those folks aren't going to change....they believe it's their right to chair hog.

I've see this issue with EVERY cruise line. I guess I just don't understand...We we cruised on Carnival I was under the impression there would be no chairs ANYWHERE. But there were tons of them. I guess maybe not immediately at the pool but there were LOTS all over the place. It would be nice if they just put some "cubbies" up by the pool area where you can store towel and perhaps room key, tshirt etc.

This is why the alcoves are so appealing to me on Silhouette -- reserved space without the hassle. But its a luxury, I know. And not poolside. Regarding the Chair Hogs -- there's no easy way to deal with them - either as the cruise line or fellow passenger.

On Summit this summer, pool butlers left cards, marked with the time, that said:

"Please be aware that the use of deck chairs is on a first come, first serve basis. Please refrain from reserving deck chairs so as not to inconvenience fellow guests. Thank you for your cooperation."

Guests who said "Gee I was only gone ten minutes" were surprised when the butler would turn the card to the back and see a time much earlier than that written on it and generally slunk sheepishly away.....

Archived