Anyone been river tubing in Ocho Rios?

Has anyone been river tubing or horseback riding in Ocho Rios? We were there last year and did the falls and dolphin swim, which were both a lot of fun. This year we want to do something new. I am most interested in the river tubing excursion.

We went on the River Tube Excursion and had a blast. From the looks of your countdown clock, you'll be cruising in July - which is when we went on the Explorer. It'll be hot and humid and the River Tube excursion is a great way to have some fun and keep cool too. The Red Stripe beer helped too!

For the most part, it's a leisure float down the White River. Your guide will point out areas of interest and his buddies will take pictures of you and video of your trip which may be purchased.

Once we got out of the river, we had a chance to try some jerk chicken they had cooking and rope swing into a river pool for a while. We had a blast. We were dropped off near Jimmy Buffett's Margaretville and had a couple drinks there and some lunch. We did some shopping and headed back to the ship.

At dinner that night we shared our day with our fellow diners and those who climbed the falls or went hiking were sorry they did because there was no relief from the heat.

I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks so much. it looks like we will be river tubing this time around. We planned on lunch at Margaritaville so this sounds like a perfect excursion!

Did you book through RCCL or private? All of our past excursions have been through RCCL and we have not had any problems. Just curious.

We booked through RC. As I recall, it was a little hectic near the excursion pick-up area. Lots of people trying to figure out where to stand for their particular excursion – just keep asking people what they are waiting for and you'll be fine.

Our cruise was all about having fun and splashing around. No tours of the Ruins or walks through botanical gardens. We just wanted to have fun. We did Wave Runners and Parasailed in Labadee. We did the BOND adventure in Cozumel. Cayman was the only stop we didn't have anything planned and we just wandered around and shopped and found a nice place to have lunch. I'm not sure of your itinerary but this is what we did.

The River Tube Excursion was one of the most relaxing and fun we've been on - we even bought the video. It's a little corny but nice to watch after a few months and be reminded of how much fun we had.

You'll be glad you went. We'll be cruising this year near the same times and would be interested in hearing about your trip. You can email us if you like.

Is there a difference between the ship excursion and the one you do with a private guide?

Yes, mainly price.....usually about half (or less) the price for a private guide. Plus, with a private guide you usually have less people on the tour as well, so you get more attention, etc.

We were in Ochos Rios in January. We booked through Trevor Hudlin for the entire day. For $80 each, we went horseback riding, went to Dunns River Falls, drove through Fern Gully, and then went river tubing (included all admissions). We also had a bit of time left at the end of the day for shopping. We had an really nice time. By the way, after the first 15-20 minutes, the 3 of us were the ONLY people with the tour guide....very personalized attention. In addition, the horseback ride and river tubing was just the 3 of us as well. It was nice not being herded around with a large group on people.

Over on the Port of Call Jamaica board, you can find a lot of great reviews and recommendations about the different private tour guides in Jamaica, along with their websites. I really preferred to plan out our day myself, rather than take a 'package' tour from RCCL....plus we got to do a LOT more at a very economical price.

We did Dunn's River Falls and river tubing this past August with Phil Lafayette. It was fun. However, Phil takes you to a place downriver from the place the ship's excursion takes you. Phil's tour was about $50 for the WHOLE day, which included admission to the falls, a tour of Ocho Rios, stop for lunch in town and river tubing. The tubing was for only about 45 min. We had fun, but want a longer tubing experience this coming August.

Our tablemates took the ship's river tubing excursion at $50pp (tubing only). They were driven way up top in the mountains and started from there. They were tubing for about an hour and a half. The total excursion was 3 1/2 hours because it took about 40 minutes to get to the starting point.

We are looking for a private tour operator that takes you to the "White River Valley" - it's a park, in the mountains (probably where the ship's tubing starts). I'm sure it will be less than the ship's excursion and we'll probably not be rushed and have a smaller group than the ship's tour.

Anyone have any recommendations? Can't find tubing only tours on the ports of call section. Don't want to take a cab to the"park" -don't know if we'll be able to get back!!!

Thanks for all the input. We always take the RCCL excursions because they are guaranteed to get you back on time.

Rich and Silvia: How far of a ride was it to the tubing area? I remember the confusion in Ocho Rios when we were waiting for our excursions. It wasn't too bad. Once finished on the river, you mentioned a rope swing and jerk chicken... were there the usual people trying to sell things at this point?

How about changing areas? At the falls there were areas to change clothes. Is it the same? How do you keep your things dry? Do they have lockers as they did at the falls?

We went in July last year too. Yes, it was hot and humid but so is New Jersey in July!!!!! I would rather be hot and humid in the Caribbean.

Thanks,

Robin

For those of you that have done the river tubing, is there a restriction on what kind of physical shape you should be in. My boyfriend is a big guy (like 275 lbs) and I don't want to go tubing if he's not going to have much fun. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

Princes511 - I went on this tubing adventure and consider myself a "big guy" = 6' 4" 280 lbs. Had a great time. For most of the trip you are just floating down the river. You get a beverage break about half way through. Have a great time.

Archived