Disembarkation on P&O details please

Jo and Rob

We have cruised with other lines but are newbies on P&O and would like to know the official procedure and any experienced tips on how to get the best out of the last day onboard the Oceana (without obviously getting in the way!)

1. What time do suitcases have to be packed and in the hall officially? And what actually happens?
  2. What time do you have to clear your cabin?
  3. Are you free to disembark when you want? I imagine they colour code the labels as with other lines, how flexible are they about disemarkation time?
  4. Where can you go to be comfortable until your appointed time?
  5. How sparse is breakfast on the last day?
  6. Does P&O provide an envelope for the steward (and reminder of the recommended amount)?
  7. Any final do's and don'ts?

Thank you in advance for all your replies :)

What time do suitcases have to be packed and in the hall officially? And what actually happens?

Anytime from 4pm onwards. Last one before you retire for the night. Midnight is still OK.

What time do you have to clear your cabin?

You can now stay in your cabin til you leave.

Are you free to disembark when you want? I imagine they colour code the labels as with other lines, how flexible are they about disemarkation time?

You can self disembark from around 7am but you have to carry ALL your luggage with you. Otherwise you are allocated a coloured card with a disembarkation time. You can change the time if you wish, just go to reception. Main disembarkation starts around 8:45/9am

Where can you go to be comfortable until your appointed time?

Any of the public lounges. We choose one furthest away from the exit.

How sparse is breakfast on the last day?

Breakfast is served as normal in the restaurants and self service

Does P&O provide an envelope for the steward (and reminder of the recommended amount)?

Envelopes will appear in your cabin a couple of days from the end with a tipping guide. You can withdraw sterling cash against your account from reception.

Any final do's and don'ts?

Brian

What time do suitcases have to be packed and in the hall officially? And what actually happens?

Anytime from 4pm onwards. Last one before you retire for the night. Midnight is still OK.

What time do you have to clear your cabin?

You can now stay in your cabin til you leave.

I would just add to this part, the wardrobe, drawers and bathroom must be clear and any hand luggage you have must be on the sofa. Towels and flannels will be left in the bathroom for you until you leave. Your Steward will come in and strip the bed and remake it, so it is only courteous to 'stay out of his way' should he come in. We were told that we had the use of the cabin until 10.30

Are you free to disembark when you want? I imagine they colour code the labels as with other lines, how flexible are they about disemarkation time?

You can self disembark from around 7am but you have to carry ALL your luggage with you. Otherwise you are allocated a coloured card with a disembarkation time. You can change the time if you wish, just go to reception. Main disembarkation starts around 8:45/9am

Where can you go to be comfortable until your appointed time?

Any of the public lounges. We choose one furthest away from the exit.

How sparse is breakfast on the last day?

Breakfast is served as normal in the restaurants and self service

An alternative to these, is to go to the buffet, get all you want on a tray and return to your cabin and eat in comfort whilst doing your last bit of packing, no rush then. If you do this and have cerials, don't forget to pick up a little jug of milk :rolleyes:

Does P&O provide an envelope for the steward (and reminder of the recommended amount)?

Envelopes will appear in your cabin a couple of days from the end with a tipping guide. You can withdraw sterling cash against your account from reception.

Any final do's and don'ts?

Yes, make sure you have your next cruise booked before you get to this stage of your cruise :)

Brian

Hope the bits I have added helps

We found that P & O embarkation / disembarkation was very well organised and much quicker and smoother than Cunard. Only one thing comes to mind as something to improve on - I MUST make my cases easier to recognise in the giant luggage hall - all plain brown cases look alike when you're in among so many, despite the well ordered rows.

We found that P & O embarkation / disembarkation was very well organised and much quicker and smoother than Cunard. Only one thing comes to mind as something to improve on - I MUST make my cases easier to recognise in the giant luggage hall - all plain brown cases look alike when you're in among so many, despite the well ordered rows.

I can see ours as soon as I enter the baggage hall.

1) Go to your local hardware/DIY store and purchase 2 inch wide coloured tapes. This is used, I believe, for binding carpets and you buy it by the metre. Self adhesive with a tear off protective backing. Choose any two colours and put a band of eacy, close together right round the case.

2) Get some coloured silk/linen tapes of the same width and cut a length of one metre. Double it, pass the folded end through the handle and pass the free ends through the loop. Pull up the slack and pull tight. You now have ribbons hanging/floating free PLUS coloured bands around the case.

23 I use a lot of address labels. If you have the facility on your computer, print off address labels with your DECk and CABIN no in the colour of your deck and stick these all over your cases. Top, end, side, botton, other end. No matter which way you look at your case, you will see which cabin it belongs to, and the colours identify YOUR cases, especially when boarding ;) Our cases are always there at the cabin quickly. Think about it, a Steward walks to a pile of cases as they come on board, as he walks TOWARDS your case, he can see where its got to go :D

If you use the dreadful paper self print labels, there is a chance they will rip off. The address labels tells the Steward where the case has to go. Saves you going to Reception when you should be starting your cruise.

Does it work?

:D:D

The oher way to make you cases easy to find is to opt for late disembarkation, then there aren't so many cases in the baggage hall to look at.

The oher way to make you cases easy to find is to opt for late disembarkation, then there aren't so many cases in the baggage hall to look at.

Easy if you are only a stone's throw away from Southampton such as we are, but what about those with a long way to go by car or the Eavesway Coach people who are 'timetabled'? :eek:

Archived