San Diego Airport advice, please

fionan

Next month I will get into San Diego International Airport terminal 2 at approx 10.45pm from Mexico via Houston, and my cruise companion will get into terminal 1 at about 10.15pm from San Francisco. We are both staying at the Sheraton Marina hotel that night.

How big/difficult is this airport? Do the hotel shuttles have separate pick up points for each terminal, or would the shuttle pickup point be a good (and foolproof) meeting place? I am likely to have a bad case of post-long-flight stupidity. Unless we can work out an easy way to rendezvous at the airport I am very tempted to say that we should each get a cab when we land and see each other at the hotel.

Any practical advice would be really welcome.

Thank you!

Just take the free hotel shuttle and meet at your hotel.

It does not make sense to pay for a taxi if the hotel has a free shuttle. The 2 terminals are totally separate and the pick up points will be at each terminal.

The hotel is sort of across the street so it will be a very short ride. Who knows you may find yourself on the same shuttle anyway?

Terminal 1 is about a 5 minute stroll from Terminal 2 if you want to meet each other at the airport. Other than the Commuter Terminal, these are the only two. Each has their own shuttle/cab/courtesy van pick up area, and their own luggage pick up areas.

Otherwise, I agree. Call for the hotel's free shuttle (shuttle phone area near luggage area) and meet at the hotel. The Sheraton Hotel & Marina is less than a half mile from the airport...if you have limited luggage, you can even walk that.

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful advice. Is it a safe walk? ie are there sidewalks, and is it lit at night with no worries about violence? I live in Central London and walk without fear in most parts at night, but there are some places I simply would not go near. My worst walking experiences in the USA involve multi-lane roads with no sidewalk and nowhere to cross over. I've learned not to assume that walking is possible.

To which this Brit would reply, "I really don't see why anyone would wait half an hour for a hotel shuttle when she can stretch her legs after 8 hours' travelling with a quick stroll to a building she can see from where she is standing.;)"

There really is a transatlantic divide, isn't there?

Please take the above in the friendly spirit it was meant. I can't wait to be back in your great country again. And thank you for your advice, and for taking the time to respond. I shall indeed take the shuttle. I still remember with terror my 8 lane highway "quick stroll" in Philadelphia.

Fiona

There is a multi lane road to cross and I am not sure there are sidewalks and a cross walk, I have never noticed. I agree a walk might be good after a long flight but I am usually so tired I just want to get to the shuttle!

Jen in SoCal

To which this Brit would reply, "I really don't see why anyone would wait half an hour for a hotel shuttle when she can stretch her legs after 8 hours' travelling with a quick stroll to a building she can see from where she is standing.;)"

There really is a transatlantic divide, isn't there?

Please take the above in the friendly spirit it was meant. I can't wait to be back in your great country again. And thank you for your advice, and for taking the time to respond. I shall indeed take the shuttle. I still remember with terror my 8 lane highway "quick stroll" in Philadelphia.

Fiona

fionan, It is really NOT a transatlantic divide.

When I arrive in Europe I often take transport into the city and then walk to my hotel and keep walking to get my legs moving again.

In this case I just thought that the area was not one in which you'd enjoy the stroll.I will now take a better look the next time I am at the airport to see if there are sidewalks or a pedestrian crossing or what exactly since you are the first person to ask me about the possibility of walking.

Splinter, Have you ever "strolled" between the two terminals?? They are close together but I have never seen anyone do that! Even when you drive you have to go back out to the street to drive between the 2.

Yes I have, several times. While the drive is lengthy, there is a nice safe side walk that links the two. It is no more than 300 yards between the two terminals on foot.

And yes, there is a stop light, a cross walk (across Harbor Drive), and side walks all the way from the airport onto Harbor Island where the Sheraton Hotels & Marina are located. If you are in the East complex, it is very close, but a further walk if you are in the West.

Archived