Orient Beach/Le String?

millerboy88

Ok, we will be arriving in St. Martin in April from 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Right now our plan of attack to to get a cab from the Port to Orient Beach. If I understand correctly, the cabs will drop off at Pedros? I have read a lot about Le Sting and I think we want to give that a try. How far is it from Pedros to Le String. Also can you rent chairs at Le String or is it cheaper to rent somewhere else. Will there be any trouble getting a taxi ride back from Orient to downtown to do some shopping after Orient? What time would be the best to leave Orient in order to get to downtown for shopping and back to the ship?

The taxi will leave you off at Pedro's. You can either walk to the right, to Club Orient, and only Club Orient. Or walk to the left and you'll pass a mile of bar/restaurant/chair rental places. One after the other. Most will offer a chair, umbrella & drink for a fee. The prices will not vary by more than $1 or 2, so just pick a place you'll feel comfortable. We stopped at Le String and probably will again when we are there next week.

Here's Le String. There are similar places as far as the eye can see

cruise159.jpg

The rear of Le String has those little huts selling bikini's, cover-ups, and other beach related clothing.

cruise077.jpg

Here's Pedro's....the taxi stand. Le String is just a short distance away.

cruise125.jpg

This is the gathering area for the taxi's...right next door to Pedro's.

cruise132.jpg

Another shot of the taxi area. You can see Pedro's in the background. Le String is just a few steps down the beach. This pic was taken with my back to Club Orient, the nude area. Thats why everyone is facing that way.

cruise138.jpg

Just like most other ports, the taxi's will try and fill em up. The rates are set, there's a sign with the fares posted. Probably in the $6-8 per person range, been 2 years since I was there last.

Le String is our favorite place as well. It is just a very short walk from Pedro's. If you tell the people at Le String what time you would like to leave to head back to the ship, they will have a taxi waiting for you in the back of their place. They are very nice and accommodating. The food is excellent there as well.

We've been to Le String four times in the past but this past January we felt the service had really gone down hill. We were ignored the entire day by John. Not even the complimentary shot of rum at the end of the day which used to be the custom. Nor even a goodbye. There are cheaper/better options nearby. We're trying elsewhere next time we visit. Will report back.

We've been to Le String four times in the past but this past January we felt the service had really gone down hill. We were ignored the entire day by John. Not even the complimentary shot of rum at the end of the day which used to be the custom. Nor even a goodbye. There are cheaper/better options nearby. We're trying elsewhere next time we visit. Will report back.

Ok thanks for the info. This is really the first negative comment I have read about Le String, sorry you guys had a bad time there.

We were at LeString on 2/13 and for the first time neither Ray or Leo were in St. Martin. They left John in charge so he may be extra busy with his added responsibility. We didn't notice any problems with service, the place was packed.

We were there two weeks ago on the EPIC, cab was full cost $6 per person each way if there is a minimum of 6 people. Cabs were plentiful both ways. Not sure what place we ended up. Cost was $7 for a chair, umbrella, and drink.

Had a great visit and enjoyed a few $2 beers at one the restaurants. There can be a lot of traffic going back, our cab dropped a few people off for shopping and most went back to the ships. Our cab ride back took about 30 minutes. We left at 3:30 and still had plenty of time to shop if we had wanted to.

Thanks for the info. We get to port at 8:00 a.m., was thinking we might be able to get to Orient by 9:30-10:00 or so by the time we get off of the ship. Spend a couple of hours at the beach and then go do some shopping. So, most of the time it takes around 30 min to get from Orient to Downtown for shopping? Is it better to take the water taxi from downtown to the port of reg taxi

There are some health issues with Ray and Leo so things are more than difficult right now.

There are some health issues with Ray and Leo so things are more than difficult right now.

They're lucky they have John to run the place. He's a great guy. I hope things work out for Ray and Leo, hate to hear they're having health issues.

So how much is the taxi from Phillipsburg (the pier) to Orient Beach? We hung out at Pedro's when we were there last time because they were right there on the beach. Have never heard of the other place, may have to try it this time.

The Orient Beach Club has happy hour every day which we took part in. Laying on Orient Beach is all I want to do in St. Maartin. I love to swim out to the platforms and lay in the sun in the water, so relaxing!!! :D

Is there any type of water sports offered at the beach? i am a beach person but my husband might get bored. Can we bring our snorkel gear and snorkel - is the water calm for the kids?

We'll be coming on RCCL in July i think we'll be in port from 12-9p - is the shopping safe at night?

thinking hitting the beach after a quick lunch on the ship - head to the beach for a few hours then go into town to shop any good places for dinner?

thanks

If you're going to Orient Beach I don't think he'll get bored ;). There isn't much water sports at Orient Beach that I saw (down by the beach club) but there is plenty of people watching to do, its just a nice, neat, relaxing atmosphere.

As far as shopping in Phillipsburg, they told us the shops open 'about' 10am and stay open until around 5-6ish.

If you're going to Orient Beach I don't think he'll get bored ;). There isn't much water sports at Orient Beach that I saw (down by the beach club) but there is plenty of people watching to do, its just a nice, neat, relaxing atmosphere.

As far as shopping in Phillipsburg, they told us the shops open 'about' 10am and stay open until around 5-6ish.

Not much in the way of watersports at Orient except for:

• Parasailing
  • Jet Skis
  • Boogie Boards
  • Sea Kayaks
  • Wind surfing
  • Kite surfing
  • Water trampoline
  • Banana boat
  • Flying wing
  • Water shuttle to offshore islands
  • Snorkeling
  • Sailboat rentals (various sizes)

What have I left out?

gary

Not much in the way of watersports at Orient except for:

• Parasailing
  • Jet Skis
  • Boogie Boards
  • Sea Kayaks
  • Wind surfing
  • Kite surfing
  • Water trampoline
  • Banana boat
  • Flying wing
  • Water shuttle to offshore islands
  • Snorkeling
  • Sailboat rentals (various sizes)

What have I left out?

gary

Are these (particularly sailboat rentals) obviously available on the beach or do you need to know where to go to get them?

Does anyone know how much jet ski rental is on Orient Beach? or where I should go to rent? Thanks!

I've never been there, but Gary's photos of Orient show a few different places advertising jet ski rentals. If you haven't yet, I'd click through his photo album.

Can't help you on price.

Archived