embarking/disembarking in Rome

mscg2000

Any out there familiar with the port of Civitavecchia? I'd like to know how early embarkation will really begin. I have difficulty standing for long periods, so I want to arrive early enough to avoid long lines. On the other hand, I don't want to get there too early, and still end up having to stand around. Are there chairs? What is the process like there?

Other posters have said that embarkation begins around Noon. If you want to avoid standing I suggest you wait and show up later. If you get there around 2 pm chances are you'll have a very streamlined check-in process. The port of Civitavecchia is not like embarking in Florida. It is a large industrial port. Unless you have a hired car that has a permit to enter the port, you will be dropped off at the front of the port and will then transfer to a shuttle bus which will take you to the check-in terminal. The port is about 2 miles long. You are not allowed to walk inside the port for security and safety reasons. The terminal is more of a semi-permanent tent set-up.

If you arrive in a taxi, you will have no problem being dropped off just outside check-in and then you can hand your luggage straight to the porters. We've sailed several times from here and have always been able to board the ship by noon.

Would this type of drop-off also apply for those arriving by private service, such as Rome in Limo? The more streamlined it can be, the better.

same here Bruce, we've used either local taxi from a nearby hotel or a private pre-booked service from the airport in Rome.

One thing to bear in mind though is the return after the cruise. Unless things have changed within the last 18 months this port isn't like most others, local taxis do not line up when the ship docks, you need to have pre-arranged transport - private taxi car/van or use the ship transfers.

Carol

wantocruisemore: We did not use Rome in Limo, but we did use another private service. We were dropped off at the terminal, presented our luggage to the porters and off we went. ;)

Bruce

Thanks, that will be one less confusing thing to deal with then.

We've also got Rome in Limo booked for our transfers to the airport after the cruise too. Do they also pick up near the ship where you get luggage, rather than getting off, then taking a shuttle to where you catch your transport?

To avoid crowds, I would advise arriving at the port later rather than earlier. I have done this on all of my recent cruises (embarking from Civitavecchia, Athens, Fort Lauderdale, Brooklyn, and Copenhagen) and have found universally that the crowds arrive at the beginning.

Do yourself a favor and arrive at the port about 2-3 hours before the ship is due to sail. You will find no lines at all or at most one or two people in front of you. Very easy. Not sure why everyone feels they must crowd on board the moment the ship is cleared!

Do yourself a favor and arrive at the port about 2-3 hours before the ship is due to sail. You will find no lines at all or at most one or two people in front of you. Very easy. Not sure why everyone feels they must crowd on board the moment the ship is cleared!

I think one reason a lot of people like to get on the ship around noon (or as early as possible) is for the wonderful feeling that comes over you once you actually board the ship. You've left the hassle of airports, luggage, taxis, check-in, etc. all behind and you know you're going to be pampered for the next several days. Who wouldn't want that experience to begin as soon as possible? You have an opportunity to have a leisurely lunch and then can explore the ship. Having those few extra hours onboard before sailaway extends your vacation (albeit briefly)!

I think one reason a lot of people like to get on the ship around noon (or as early as possible) is for the wonderful feeling that comes over you once you actually board the ship. You've left the hassle of airports, luggage, taxis, check-in, etc. all behind and you know you're going to be pampered for the next several days. Who wouldn't want that experience to begin as soon as possible? You have an opportunity to have a leisurely lunch and then can explore the ship. Having those few extra hours onboard before sailaway extends your vacation (albeit briefly)!

Perhaps, but if we are talking about the Med, you are somewhere like Rome or Athens or Barcelona, and you are already on vacation. Why would you want to cut that experience short in order to board the ship?

Perhaps, but if we are talking about the Med, you are somewhere like Rome or Athens or Barcelona, and you are already on vacation. Why would you want to cut that experience short in order to board the ship?

I know we personally have to check out of our apartment by 11am. It just seems better to go directly to the ship a little earlier than worry about dragging luggage around. Although, since we're doing Rome in Limo I guess if there is something we missed we really want to see we could talk to Jany ahead of time to see if our driver can take us around before we head to the ship. Certainly something to consider.

I know we personally have to check out of our apartment by 11am. It just seems better to go directly to the ship a little earlier than worry about dragging luggage around. Although, since we're doing Rome in Limo I guess if there is something we missed we really want to see we could talk to Jany ahead of time to see if our driver can take us around before we head to the ship. Certainly something to consider.

We used Romeinlimo for our tours while in Rome for 4 days. Then we used them for a transfer from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia. We wanted to squeeze as much into our visit as possible so we combined the transfer with an Etruscan Tour. We met some folks on our Roll Call and they joined us. Our driver picked us up at our hotel at 9am and then we went to the other hotel and picked them up. Salvatore was our driver, and he was great. After visiting the Etruscan tombs, he took us to a local wine and olive oil tasting, and then to a restaurant. The restaurant had a beautiful view, and the BEST food I ate in Italy. After a wonderful day, Salvatore dropped us off at the port in Civitavecchia.

Enjoy!

The terminal is more of a semi-permanent tent set-up.

Not quite sure when you were in Civitavecchia, but for our '08 cruise, it definitely was not a tent set-up.

I've tried to attach a couple of photos, don't know if it will work, I don't have real good luck with this. One was outside on the pier looking at the ship and one is inside the terminal. Definitely a permanent building. But we did arrive around 1:00 and very short lines. Only took us maybe 10 minutes to process through and on the ship. We took canes with small seats as we also have mobility issues, so if we did have to stand, we had our seats.

100_0114.jpg.3b7ac34d69fa98460fdb406e12c2d553.jpg

100_0115.jpg.e1b7c72153bdbab74ff748d791a6801f.jpg

Archived