NCL Jewel dry dock??

grammywig

I have reservations for July 2-9, 2011 on NCL Jewel from New York and have heard that this ship is going into dry dock in Spring 2011. Does anyone have any specific information on this and what is being done??

Thanks from a first time cruiser and family!!!

The Jewel went into drydock right after Thanksgiving for repairs to the Azipod system. I believe they cancelled the May drydock because of that and then added the Caribbean cruises to fill the time originally scheduled for drydock.

I was on the Jewel in January, and it's perfect. New carpeting, paint and furniture in lots of places.

It was in dry dock early for the azipod problem.

No need for another one.

Enjoy your cruises.

What is dry dock? We are on the Jewel in November.

Exactly what it sounds like. The ship is placed in a large cofferdam, supported with massive struts, and the water is drained away. The entire ship is now out of the water, allowing work on parts that normally can only be reached by divers. Jewel had to go into drydock in Boston back in November to repair worn bearings on the starboard azipod system. While that was being done, new carpeting and other cosmetic repairs were completed. The wuffy smell that was present in Spinnaker's in September was gone when we were back aboard last month.

• 3 weeks later...

I read on the NCL website that they will be adding a Churrascaria restaurant in 2011. They have to put the ship in drydock to do it. I would like to know when that is going to happen. We are booked for October 15, 2011.:confused:

I was on the Jewel in January, and it's perfect. New carpeting, paint and furniture in lots of places.

It was in dry dock early for the azipod problem.

No need for another one.

Enjoy your cruises.

Hmmm, I'd have to disagree. We were on the Jewel earlier this month for the first time in a few years and noted quite a bit of dinginess about the furniture in the public areas and our cabin. (The carpets, however, looked great, and the ship was spotless as usual.)

We weren't at all concerned about the furniture because we assumed she was just coming into her drydock. But if she isn't, I hope they're considering replacing or reupholstering quite a bit of that furniture soon.

I read on the NCL website that they will be adding a Churrascaria restaurant in 2011. They have to put the ship in drydock to do it. I would like to know when that is going to happen. We are booked for October 15, 2011.:confused:

Just curious, where on the website did you read this?

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I saw the Churrascaria question & it is on the pdf on the NCL freestyle dining page. Would also like answers as to when if anyone knows...

http://www.ncl.com/csimages/772/384/NCL_Dining_Options_03112011.pdf

Ditto (and yes, I know this is a thread resurrection)! :)

I have a deposit on a sailing next summer, and was just curious about what may (or may not) be in the works!

Tom

Archived