MSG Allergy

jtamchay

With open seating how does one handle this...onboard with the Maitre'd and/ or the waiter...or before boarding with the home office?

This has been a problem in the past and hoping to avoid it this time around. Any and all help appreciated. Thanks, jo

I have a real problem with this and with iodine,which is in most table salt, so you will have to consult with the DR and quiz your waiter before you order anything. They know in the galley what they have prepared. I can't ever eat in any of the Asia venues on any ship. You might consider having your travel agent ask in advance about a dietary restriced menu. joyous

I have a real problem with this and with iodine,which is in most table salt, so you will have to consult with the DR and quiz your waiter before you order anything. They know in the galley what they have prepared. I can't ever eat in any of the Asia venues on any ship. You might consider having your travel agent ask in advance about a dietary restriced menu. joyous

yes, it is very painful to have the ankles blow up and then work with the ships doctor as I have in the past. This does not occur in my non shipboard life...so have only experienced it on ships and every time I have cruised on Crystal this has occurred...so can happen in the best of places ...LOL

I eat asian foods with no bad results but it seems it is the pastas on ship.

I will work this out and hopefully it will be a dead issue this cruise.

Jo

yes, it is very painful to have the ankles blow up and then work with the ships doctor as I have in the past. This does not occur in my non shipboard life...so have only experienced it on ships and every time I have cruised on Crystal this has occurred...so can happen in the best of places ...LOL

I eat asian foods with no bad results but it seems it is the pastas on ship.

I will work this out and hopefully it will be a dead issue this cruise.

Jo

That's not my problem. My tongue, eyelids, nose, throat swell ...not ankles...and I develop an irregular heartbeat and it requires immediate attention. Not just uncomfortable, a real problem. Happens wherever I am so I avoid all the problems and just don't dine where there might be MSG or iodine in anything I might order. J

That's not my problem. My tongue, eyelids, nose, throat swell ...not ankles...and I develop an irregular heartbeat and it requires immediate attention. Not just uncomfortable, a real problem. Happens wherever I am so I avoid all the problems and just don't dine where there might be MSG or iodine in anything I might order. J

You need to notify the special request office LONG before your cruise & follow up on board

I do not think they use MSG but I could be wrong

thanks, Lyn...do you have a similar issue?

we do not use salt at home & try to avoid sodium in other food

yes we swell up & this year my BP went way up from too much sodium

so we have to try to avoid it as much as we can

will let you know how it works out

Lyn

we do not use salt at home & try to avoid sodium in other food

yes we swell up & this year my BP went way up from too much sodium

so we have to try to avoid it as much as we can

will let you know how it works out

Lyn

On Insignia in May we just requested "no additional salt" when we ordered and that solved the problem.

Since they cook each dish "ala minute" and add salt as it goes out of the kitchen you can avoid much of it by just asking. After about 3-4 days the waiters were telling us since they remembered the request. Great staff!:):)

Thanks, Orchestrapal, will definitely try asking for "no additional salt" later this year when we are on Marina. I had no idea that they added extra before serving. Of course, I don't know what I'll do with my smoked salmon at breakfast! :D

Just eat it and enjoy. Make up for it elsewhere...:D

Thanks for the words of advice from all...I will be sure to make my request onboard as well as notifying the special request office.

This is not an isolated case and I too have high BP...so rarely add salt to anything and do not cook with it at all.

Archived