rumrunners in USATODAY

extcat

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2011/02/Cruise-bargains-make-waves-in-the-Caribbean/44148510/1

Not that is was a big secret but now its news.

Think before you drink. Whether it's a $7 (plus automatic 15% tip) martini or a $3.50 bottle of water as you head out the gangway at a port of call, the cost of onboard beverages can add up quickly.

If you're a sodaholic, a ship-issued "beverage card" ($31.65 a week on the Crown Princess, tips and souvenir mug included) might be worth it. Tap water, lemonade and iced tea, on the other hand, are gratis.

Though some cruise lines (including Princess) charge dining room corkage fees but let passengers bring aboard one or two bottles of wine or Champagne per person, all prohibit "BYO" liquor. That said, "we see a lot of people ordering Cokes and dumping their own 'water' into them," notes Crown Princess passenger Christine Martin. One website, RumRunnerFlasks.com, even sells a "spring break cruise kit" of "unbreakable, undetectable" plastic containers for $26.95.

Awesome! I would be very happy to see the Cruise Lines get motivated to lower bar prices. If it takes a passenger revolt to do it, great!

Never going to happen until passengers show that they will just drink less due to very high pricing for booze.

Awesome! I would be very happy to see the Cruise Lines get motivated to lower bar prices. If it takes a passenger revolt to do it, great!

Don't see them ever lowering bar prices. Which even if they did, and drinks only cost a couple bucks a piece, people will still smuggle. Money isn't the only motivation for smuggling!

I dont drink as much, too expensive. I can have fun in other ways, drink at ports, way less, geez, if you walk down the main road in Cozumel, they will hand you a beer for free, and margarita's too, why pay the price onboard.

I think people just like to say "Rumrunner".

Perhaps the worst kept secret is so overly bragged about as if it comes with a Badge of Brilliance, that cruise lines need just read CC and fix it by slowing down the embarkation process, for everyone.

It is not like the reality does not exist that at the one brag too many stages, the ship cannot fix it. :D

I suggest those who do it enjoy it while you can and try to hold back the bragging how-too's and the urge to say "Rumrunner" over and over again. That may give you some time.

Don't see them ever lowering bar prices. Which even if they did, and drinks only cost a couple bucks a piece, people will still smuggle. Money isn't the only motivation for smuggling!

It is for me. If the Cruise Lines would lower prices on alcohol, I would have no problem not smuggling.

I dont drink as much, too expensive. I can have fun in other ways, drink at ports, way less, geez, if you walk down the main road in Cozumel, they will hand you a beer for free, and margarita's too, why pay the price onboard.

Beers are a buck a piece all over the place in St. Martin. :)

Archived