Juneau from 6:30am to 4pm

sandcake

We are on a tight schedule in Juneau. As soon as we dock, we are heading to Mendenhall glacier. I know that the Mendenhall Visitor Center opens at 8am, but can we still arrive before this time and start hiking and sightseeing? Do you think 3 to 4 hours is sufficient time at the glacier? We plan on taking a bus there but we are not sure when the bus time starts as we want to be on the first bus? How long is the ride to the visitor center? Where is the bus stop located? What are the "must see" at the glacier?

We are on a tight schedule in Juneau. As soon as we dock, we are heading to Mendenhall glacier. I know that the Mendenhall Visitor Center opens at 8am, but can we still arrive before this time and start hiking and sightseeing? Do you think 3 to 4 hours is sufficient time at the glacier? We plan on taking a bus there but we are not sure when the bus time starts as we want to be on the first bus? How long is the ride to the visitor center? Where is the bus stop located? What are the "must see" at the glacier?

Were you planning on taking the city bus (which drops of quite a ways from the Visitor Center)?

http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit/index.php

Or the MGT blue bus, which doesn't start running until 9 a.m. and doesn't fit your needs for leaving "as soon as hitting the dock"?

Unless you are planning to do a lot of hiking and such I think a couple hours is enough.

The biggest challenge will be transportation so early. Don't forget the weather could/will factor in if it is chilly or raining.

Good luck

We have exactly the same Juneau schedule as you. We want to head to Mendenhall soon after arrival too (other things planned for later). I've done a bit of research and have found that contacting one of the local taxi companies for transport to Mendenhall is the best option for us. There's no public transportation that early in am. Another option might be to rent a car for your time in port and drive to glacier yourself. We will take taxi to Mendenhall, do hike to waterfall, then catch public transportation back to dock area.

3 to 4 hours is enough time to hike to the falls and do some other hiking around and see the visitor center when it opens. You don't need to go to the visitors' center to access the trails. I would hike to Nugget Falls, we all enjoyed it.

We had late port times and rented a car so I can't help you with the other issues.

Someone asked if the ship would serve food. We were on Carnival and on our early port day in Skagway they opened the hot food service early and there was room service as well, I did both ;) I would expect all the cruise lines to do the same but who knows. Otherwise, there is a McDonald's on the way to the glacier.

Jen in SoCal

How much is the taxi fee for a one way ride to the glacier? Will there be taxis at the port at 6:30am?

We are a state capitol with many other things going on besides tourism. We have 24 hour cab service from multiple companies. At the very least, the drunks need to get home from the night before. :D

I guestimate it's about $30 to the glacier, one way. The various companies are listed on the Juneau tourism site. Give one of them a call; they all have the same rates. They may try to sell you a 'tour' so be clear that you just want to be dropped off. I'd expect the companies to know the ship arrival times and be waiting, but I'd also have a cab company phone number with me to call one, just in case. They can be to the ship quickly.

Archived