America's Cup Challenge

mickey-mouse

• 4 weeks later...

I did a similar thing in the Bahamas and it was a blast, but the boat is cutting at fairly steep angles.. i don't remember it being too choppy or anything, but we were in a bay area that was smooth. On top of that I was a grinder for the whole trip and was busy helping to turn the sail... that kept me busy so I didn't have a lot of time to think about how smooth the ride is.

I was wondering if this would be okay for someone who is prone to seasickness? Does the boat go really fast and does it move around alot, and is it shaky?

It only goes as fast as the wind, which is relative.

Here is a picture.

IMG_2589.jpg?t=1300914355

If you are prone to seasickness, you might have a problem.

FWIW it was one of the best excursions I have ever done. You are in a real race and the competition is for real. Neither Captain wants to lose.

The age requirement is a soft target for the 12 Metre people themselves. From their website:

The minimum age is twelve years old: however, there are some young people, typically in a sailing family who have considerable sailing experience; are well aware of the potential hazards of sailing and have been trained to perform accordingly. In these cases, if the young person is accompanied by their parent, we will be pleased to accept young people to a minimum age of seven.

gary

The age requirement is a soft target for the 12 Metre people themselves. From their website:

The minimum age is twelve years old: however, there are some young people, typically in a sailing family who have considerable sailing experience; are well aware of the potential hazards of sailing and have been trained to perform accordingly. In these cases, if the young person is accompanied by their parent, we will be pleased to accept young people to a minimum age of seven.

gary

So, does that mean I would have to book directly with the company, because RCCL website won't allow me to book 11 year old. It says that age requirements are not met and booking is not even an option.

Sorry, but I don't think that the 12 Metre is bookable directly by cruisers.

I didn't realize that you had actually tried to book the excursion through the website and it was rejected because of age.

Perhaps you can call RCCL and talk with a real person, pointing out what it says on the 12 Metre website? Or maybe you could get away with booking it while on-board as a last resort?

gary

So, does that mean I would have to book directly with the company, because RCCL website won't allow me to book 11 year old. It says that age requirements are not met and booking is not even an option.

Besides you and your son, is there another party in your group.

If so, book it for you and adult friend. You will get your tix or whatever, then just you and DS go to the excursion.

Should be no problem whatsoever. I did the excursion in 2009.

Besides you and your son, is there another party in your group.

If so, book it for you and adult friend. You will get your tix or whatever, then just you and DS go to the excursion.

Should be no problem whatsoever. I did the excursion in 2009.

We are a family of 4 and all of us would want to go, so that wouldn't work. I guess I'll try calling RCCL and ask, and if that doesn't work, I'll try when onboard.

I was wondering if this would be okay for someone who is prone to seasickness? Does the boat go really fast and does it move around alot, and is it shaky?

No, yes, yes & yes.

Well, maybe sometimes.

Our

(audio).

gary

We did it on our January cruise. It was lots of fun. But very fast. Lots of rocking and rolling and once or twice we all had to hang on for our lives. I would not recommend it for any young kids. And the Captain takes it very seriously. He wants to win. So he goes all out even in strong wind and rougher seas.

Archived