Credit Card or Cash???

buckeyefan10

When paying for things in port (Belize,Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan) should we plan on taking cash or will most places take a credit card? Also how about a debt card? If cash, will most places take US dollars? Also I was wanting to pick up some vanilla and coffee. Which place would have the best?

Also keep in mind though credit cards are more convenient, the banks charge an exchange rate for each purchase, and depending on which card and program you belong to it can easily add 3 to 7 percent of the cost. Debit cards can be confusing because it's coming right out of your checking and with the exchange rates (and the fee for the exchange rate) you won't be able to exactly keep track of your account until everything hits.

Sorry, don't know about the vanilla and coffee.

Credit cards are convenient but cash is generally safer.

I would NEVER use my debit card. I would keep that locked away in the safe onboard along with some cash and have it there for emergencies. An actual credit card in the safe for emergencies is also preferable since (for me anyway) it will have more money available as compared to what's in my checking account.

Make sure you call your bank(s) for the debit cards and / or credit cards and tell them you will be leaving the country. My bank automatically puts a block on all purchases out of the country unless I call them first. They even do this in some cities in the U.S.. Fraud protection, they say.

Consider splitting up your cash / credit card(s) between you and your travel parter when you go ashore. Don't want to keep all your eggs in one basket.

Have a great trip!

Also keep in mind though credit cards are more convenient, the banks charge an exchange rate for each purchase, and depending on which card and program you belong to it can easily add 3 to 7 percent of the cost. Debit cards can be confusing because it's coming right out of your checking and with the exchange rates (and the fee for the exchange rate) you won't be able to exactly keep track of your account until everything hits.

FYI, Capitol One does not charge an exchange fee. We use that credit card at ports for larger purchases, and cash for smaller buys.

OP-Cozumel is the best place to buy vanilla. Just make sure it does not contain coumarin.

When I took my first cruise 2 years ago, I read somewhere (probably here) that the best place to buy vanilla was at a regular grocery store or "bodega" (a mom and pop type grocery store) because it was cheaper, as opposed to the prices in the tourist shops at the dock. I followed this advice and bought vanilla at a "bodega" in the marketplace in Progreso.

I don't remember the exact price of vanilla in the dock shops, but it seems it was around $5.99 or so. The bottles I bought in the marketplace were only $1.99 for a 5 oz. bottle. I bought 5 bottles and gave them to friends back home.

Beware buying vanilla in Mexico. I did some checking and it could be made with Coumarin and according to the FDA is a substance with potential toxic side effects banned from food in the United States. Do what you think is best, I'm no expert. This was the quickest link I could find.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

Apparently not much vanilla is really harvested in Mexico any more.

I bought some fresh vanilla beans and vodka to make my own. It's been 'brewing' for about a month now.

Archived