My Holiday On the Carnival Holiday

JamieCruise

Just got back today from cruising on the Holiday! I really enjoyed it. I tried to enter a big, long review a few minutes ago, but it would not let me post it. So this time I think I'll write a smaller review and maybe post a longer one somewhere else.

Who went: Me (age 30) and my mom. We decided to go since we live in Mobile. Plus the price was great(about the same as my 3-day Disney cruise)!

When: 5-Day cruise to Calica and Cozumel

This was my second cruise. My first cruise was the Disney Wonder. I tried not to compare the two ships(though sometimes I had to remind myself not to)

This ship may be small, but because of this it seems that you get to know everyone a little bit better. There were so many people that you saw over and over again. Some of them you even knew their names even though you may have not ever talked to them. Our cruise director, Greg, said that even though the ship may be small, they have some of the most friendly crew and staff. I think that it helps have a more personalized experience because of this.

And speaking of Greg...he was so cute (those dimple, that laugh!) For those of you who haven't met Greg he looks a lot like Nick Lachey and Ryan Seacrest. He even made a joke about it! He is very doting of the crew/staff. On the last night before the talent show the social staff surprised him on stage with a dance(he is taking some time off). The male dancers got up there with him and did YMCA. He was really very surprised.

The games and shows were fun too. I liked the competition between the red and blue teams. Dan led the Blue and Becka (Yeah, Becka!) led the Red. I was on the Red team. I don't think we won though. We were ahead up until the last day when the Blue team had to go and win everything (I think that some red team members where just hanging out at the bar somewhere maybe). The Blue Team started getting on my nerves the last day. Nobody ever said who won.

Overall, I liked Becka as Social Host best. Hopefully, one day she will get to be a Cruise Director.

Ports: We went to XCaret on the Calica day. This is a wonderful park that is a combination of ecological/archealogical/water. Plus I really loved the Iguanas. They were everywhere!

In Cozumel we just went looking around in the stores which I really didn't enjoy. I wish now that I had taken some type of excursion.

Food: We ate in Four Winds. Food was pretty good. Service was ok. I think that I just enjoyed the service on the Wonder because on there we sat my ourselves at a small table. On the Holiday we were at a larger table with other people (which was not a bad thing for the most part). I was also hoping to have creme brulee, which they did not have on the Holiday.

I really didn't like the the buffet foods. I felt like the selection and quality was not that good (and I only ate at the Wonder buffet so I am not comparing ). It was good having the 24-hour pizza and ice cream.

I liked room service. They didn't take long to get to your room. Plus I really liked having a snack before bed.

Rooms: We had a waterview cabin on the Main deck. Room size was pretty good. I would only suggest some other color for the bed spreads besides white and individual thermostat controls(room was cold at night and got warm in the early part of the morning). Towel animals were cute! I don't like to compare, but Carnival does have the Wonder beat when it comes to the TV stations!

Rocking/Rolling: I have read somewhere about the rocking motion on the Holiday. However, it only got bad time on this cruise. We were going through some rough water and it had stopped by that afternoon. This rocking was no worse than that I had experinced on the Wonder (and it is a much bigger ship!). The captian even apoligized for it.

Overall, I would highly recommend the Holiday. It would be especially good for first-timers looking to get their feet wet. It's also a good ship for partiers (young and old)! She may be a little rough around the edges and needs a little work done, but don't let that fact turn you away. You will still have a great time!!

Thanks for the review we leave next Monday on a 5 day cruise!!! I am surprised that they didn't have creme brulee, I thought I had seen it on the menu. My FIL loves creme brulee and will be disappointed if they don't serve it!!!

Allison

Jamie - thx for the review; glad you enjoyed the Holiday!:) Was this the four-day cruise?

Allison - fear not - Hazelnut Creme Brulee' IS still on the menu!... I have the menus from my last Holiday cruise, showing each day. Day Five has the Creme Brulee' on the dinner menu. (That's why I'm thinking Jamie was on the four-day cruise?)

Sorry, but have I done something to offend you? That comment was uncalled for.:o

OK, even though I carefully read posts before responding, somehow (oh my!), I missed the 5-day wording. Thank you SO much for pointing out my error.

I believe we were on the same sailing date I must agree with everything you said I just like to add that I thought the ship was in really great shape and it seemed that my cabin was just refurbished. to bad you did'nt enjoy the survior game because I was the third red member voted off.

Thanks for the review! We are sailing on the Holiday April 2 for 5 days to Cozumel and Costa Maya. We like to always stop by the dining room in the morning or even the night before and check the menu to see if we want to eat in the dining room or not. Love that creme brulee!

Cotton (please pardon me -- I realize correcting you is kind of a Cruise Critic sin ;)),

But the original poster notes in her comments is was a 5-day cruise to Calica and Cozumel. The 4-day cruise has only the Coz stop.

I'm with you, TNtraveler...

Why would you have to apologize?

These boards are wonderful for sharing information. It's sad to see folks getting "cranky".:rolleyes:

TN, apology graciously accepted.:) I'm here a lot, and try to impart info that I have learned as well as have experienced. I took your comment to mean that I think I am never wrong, which I certainly am on occasion. No problem...Thx.

Now, Nanette, just why would this concern you?

TN, apology graciously accepted.:) I'm here a lot, and try to impart info that I have learned as well as have experienced. I took your comment to mean that I think I am never wrong, which I certainly am on occasion. No problem...Thx.

Now, Nanette, just why would this concern you?

Wowie Zowie, Cotton!

"THIS" doesn't "CONCERN" me, as you've asked.

Sadly, this forum tends to get a bit nasty.

(Do you wonder why posters get the feeling that you're someone to be avoided????):rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:confused: Then why did you reply with:

TN and I are ok with the misunderstanding. You seem to be the only one with the problem. I won't be personally attacked by you - as in your last sentence. Ho Hum, going to bed now. You may continue, but I won't come back to this thread.

We were on the 5 day cruise. They must have had it the last night. That night we didn't eat in the dining room because I was afraid I might have missed the Survivor show. I wish now that I had eaten there.

Whew!!! I was afraid I was going to have to bring my blow torch and make creme brulee for my FIL in our cabin.

Cotton: I just wanted to say I appreciate your experience and your willingness to answer any question. I may not always agree with you but I always take your opinion into consideration. I have never found any of your posts offensive, and believe you are a true Southern Lady.

Sorry to disappoint, but they have eliminated not only the Chocolate Decadence but also the Hazelnut Creme Brulee ... the Creme Brulee is now a "lemon" variety... not hazelnut. The menus changed in early February....

Sorry to disappoint, but they have eliminated not only the Chocolate Decadence but also the Hazelnut Creme Brulee ... the Creme Brulee is now a "lemon" variety... not hazelnut. The menus changed in early February....

Thats okay as long as it is creme brulee FIL will be happy. However I am sad to hear no chocolate decadence I never got to try it but it does sound devine!!! Did an equally delightful chocolate dessert take its place?

Archived