Pre-Booki g Tickets National Express London to Dover?

oshawa

We will be in London pre-cruise and plan on taking the National Express bus from Victoria Station to Dover. Is it necessary to pre-book our tickets or can we purchase the day of (May 22/11)?We are staying at the Park Plaza Victoria and will be probably walking with our luggage to the terminal if this is doable.

Why would you NOT want to pre book them????. That way you KNOW you have a seat secured, plus you can take advatage of any 'fun fares' that might be offered for that particular trip. We booked the fun fare for 5 pounds PP, and have heard on this board that they even went for as low as 2 pounds PP.

Pre book and then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Len

• 4 weeks later...
Why would you NOT want to pre book them????. That way you KNOW you have a seat secured, plus you can take advatage of any 'fun fares' that might be offered for that particular trip. We booked the fun fare for 5 pounds PP, and have heard on this board that they even went for as low as 2 pounds PP.

Pre book and then you have nothing to worry about.

Cheers

Len

3 yrs ago I tried to prebook online and they would not accept US credit cards. has that changed? Thanks.

3 yrs ago I tried to prebook online and they would not accept US credit cards. has that changed? Thanks.

Yes....I did it last year....the fun fare was £2 but they charged me £1 to use the credit card for a total of £3...the tube ride over cost £1.80 last year.....somehow paying £1.80 to go from Bayswater to Victoria and then £3 to go from London to Dover doesn't really make a whole lot of sense but I'll take it.

This is usually down to US credit cards...they block out of country purchases. If it happens, phone you CC company and tell them what you are trying to do and they will 'adjust' the settings on your account. I've had a few US friends who have had problems with National Express, Rail tickets and megatrain, but a phone call normally sorts it out.

Simon

We did our trip in August 2009 and we charged everything. We charged the

"Fun Fare", we charged the EuroStar, we charged our tour of Buckingham Palace, and several other things. Where the idea that it has only been in effect since last year, came about, I don't know. Maybe 3 years ago, this might have been so, but I agree with sddsddean, maybe your card is blocking something. Basically everyone takes credit cards, so this should not be a problem, just make sure your card company isn't blocking anything.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len and Simon,

It is not unusual for some foreign cos to block Credit cards from abroad. It happens all the time with the Spain and Italy rail companies and as previously mentioned it happened to me as well with the National Express some years ago. Tried several Ccs as well as calling my bank to no avail(my bank told me there was no attempt by National Express to charge my card). Will try again this time and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

If you are traveling overseas (if you are from the States, that is), you should look into a card like Capital One which doesn't charge any foreign transaction fees when you charge things in other countries. We tried to charge EVERYTHING, or at least, as much as we could and it does add up. Most cards charge 3% of all transactions and it can add up. Why pay if you don't have to.

Cheers

Len

Archived