On board upgrades

chester8

Originally Posted by chester8:

Is it possible when on board an Oceania ship to buy a cabin upgrade at a discounted price?

No. Oceania does not play that game.

That response sounds a bit harsh. I don't see it as a negative that a cruise line would offer higher level categories that are still available at boarding at a reduced price to those who request an upgrade. It is additional revenue for Oceania.

I believe I have read many times that they offer, in some instances, upsells prior to departure date. is this correct?

Yes, upsells are sometimes offered, but on a case by case basis, and they do not always involve a "discount".

Oceania does not lower its' prices as a sailing date approaches.

Passengers who book early, need not worry that they will miss a better deal because they are under deposit.

Originally Posted by chester8:

Is it possible when on board an Oceania ship to buy a cabin upgrade at a discounted price?

That response sounds a bit harsh. I don't see it as a negative that a cruise line would offer higher level categories that are still available at boarding at a reduced price to those who request an upgrade. It is additional revenue for Oceania.

Oceans and Rivers,Thank you for your kind respose.

Yes, upsells are sometimes offered, but on a case by case basis, and they do not always involve a "discount".

Oceania does not lower its' prices as a sailing date approaches.

Passengers who book early, need not worry that they will miss a better deal because they are under deposit.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct -- or perhaps we are both right.

When we did our Panama Canal cruise in February 2004, we did a b2b: LA to Costa Rica, Costa Rica to Miami. The first leg was very undersold and O DID have a last minute sale at discounted rates or upgrades of several categories.

My mother was originally booked in an "F" or "G" and ended up in an "A" (this was before the A1, A2, etc. categories were created). We had been in an A for the first leg and a PH for the second and ended up in a PH on both legs.

Of course, that was then and now is now. This kind of "sale" might not happen today.

I think Oceania prides itself on giving the best prices to the earliest bookers, not to the last minute folks (that was not meant as a negative). It is one way to keep passenger loyalty high. I hope they keep it that way. Many times they do not have anything to upgrade to with a high occupancy rate in general.

I think Oceania prides itself on giving the best prices to the earliest bookers, not to the last minute folks (that was not meant as a negative). It is one way to keep passenger loyalty high. I hope they keep it that way. Many times they do not have anything to upgrade to with a high occupancy rate in general.

There have been discounted sailings (some of them substantial) which I have only seen offered while on board an Oceania ship (not to the general public)...these can't be booked elsewhere.

I personally don't have a problem with this as it is focused on a limited audience of loyal Oceania customers (who are already on board ship) that can take advantage of this type of savings and sail on short notice.

Kathleen

Kathleen,

I think the question was directed towards getting a possible upgrade while on board -- not booking another cruise while on board. I believe that O has always had the latter.

Archived