Flip flops in MDR

carebear1008

And I stated mine.... here is a pic of $400 flip flops. I don't think they look like sandals and I accept your aplogies for being wrong in advance :rolleyes:.

crocodileflipflops.jpg

these cost $400? :eek: are there real jewels on them? I would still consider those flip flops, although I have no problem with flip flops being worn in the MDR!

these cost $400? :eek: are there real jewels on them? I would still consider those flip flops, although I have no problem with flip flops being worn in the MDR!

cantait06: They're just for you ;) :

"PêchePlatinum uses PêcheBlu ’s patent pending ultra-sports shoe base with hand-matched crocodile straps for magnificent comfort. These ultimate flip flops are for those who want to express their individuality in a world of mass production."

I don't think so......

Well, I sit corrected. LOL. I would never, ever, in a million years consider either of these a "flip flop." Rubber, flat sole, thong between the toes, YES = Flip Flop. These = Nuh Uh. :D

I think they mean like these:

231073.jpg231082.jpg

They're "technically" flip flop type sandals (with a heel), but on the dressy side.........

I just returned from the Legend on Sunday. I must say that the people here on CC are much more rigid on the dress code than the MDR staff and are much more offended by casual dressers then most people. I saw jean cut-offs, men in shorts and running shoes, women in shorts, t-shirts with sayings on them, hats with fake spiky hair and - oh my gosh - even flip flops - gasp!!!!!! Actually the only things not permitted as per Carnival's dress code are "gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats".

On non-formal nights a large number of people had on t-shirts with sayings on them, running shoes, shorts, capris anything you would see in Applebee's and I purposely watched those people who were more "cruise casually" dressed to see their expressions when people dressed as such walked by their tables and not once did I see any snickers or people shaking their heads in disgust - actually very few people even took a second glance or paid attention at all. Every person I noticed continued on with their meal, minding their own business.

I could never really understand how someone's attire could spoil someone else's meal as so many people on here claim. When on the ship, as I said, I did not see anyone who looked the least bit offended or concerned about what anyone else was wearing. So go ahead and wear whatever you are comfortable in. Personally, because beach flip flops are specifically listed as not permitted, I wouldn't wear them, but any other from of flip flops will be fine - I'm sure 99% of the people in the MDR will not care or notice what you have on your feet.

I have only taken one Carnival cruise so far, on Triumph. I'm not sure where people are even getting the impression that the MDR has some kind of strict dress code. Is there some printed material that my TA neglected to send me. It never crossed my mind that I might need to wear something different at the MDR.

That being said, I don't wear "jean cut offs" or "sleeveless T-shirts." My normal non-poolside wardrobe is acceptable at MDR. So I was never in violation of any implied policy. But regardless, what are people looking at that makes them so worried about the MDR?

My question is why would you want to? Do you wear flipflops to a sit-down dining room restaurant? Sandals are nearly as inexpensive! :eek:

Actually, YES i do:) i love my flip flops and wear them as much as possible... its all about comfort, not fashion.

"PêchePlatinum uses PêcheBlu ’s patent pending ultra-sports shoe base with hand-matched crocodile straps for magnificent comfort. These ultimate flip flops are for those who want to express their individuality in a world of mass production."

I don't think so......

I'm not sure about your point here...but I think its crazy to pay $400 for a pair of shoes, especially for flip flops...you can get shoes like that at Payless for under $10.

To each his own though!

Well now that flip flops(sandals) are accepted(by the way it is not a rule it is a suggestion not required), My baseball hat will be on from now on!!!

Actually, it is a Dress Code, not a Dress Suggestion. This is from the Carnival FAQ:

Both dress
codes
for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress
Code
: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress
Code
: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

And I stated mine.... here is a pic of $400 flip flops. I don't think they look like sandals and I accept your aplogies for being wrong in advance :rolleyes:.

crocodileflipflops.jpg

You are so right....living in Hawaii there are all different kinds, quality and prices of slippers (they are not called flip flops-that is a mainland term). You can get into the best restaurants at the best hotels in the state. A Carnival MDR does not compare in anyway to a Four Seasons or Orchid Hotel....but you can wear slippers in any restaurant there. :)

I have only taken one Carnival cruise so far, on Triumph. I'm not sure where people are even getting the impression that the MDR has some kind of strict dress code. Is there some printed material that my TA neglected to send me. It never crossed my mind that I might need to wear something different at the MDR.

That being said, I don't wear "jean cut offs" or "sleeveless T-shirts." My normal non-poolside wardrobe is acceptable at MDR. So I was never in violation of any implied policy. But regardless, what are people looking at that makes them so worried about the MDR?

Check Carnival's website for the dress code. Every cruise lines website has them listed. I'm surprised you didn't check there.

Have a great day and I'm done discussing flip-flops :).

My 2 cents: depends on your definition of a flip-flop.

The $2.99 from Wal-Mart, no.

Nice ones (I just found a nice pair online for $400.00), sure.

Regardless of what the fashion police say. There are bad sandals just as much as there are bad flip-flops.

To be quite honest, we really don't pay attention and don't keep a scorecard :).

Do what you think is right.

So if you can afford $400 flip flops its fine? No snobbery there. Right on.

Go ahead wear you flip flops - it is your vacation, your cruise be comfortable and enjoy!

I don't think so......

Didn't Ronco make a machine for putting those rhinestones on?

Thanks for the responses! I would not wear them on the formal nights of course, I would make fun of myself if I did that! lol. I am just trying to consolidate so I don't bring a whole suitcase of shoes (which I usually do).
For the last time, sandals, and flip flops are propper on formal night if they have little bow ties attached to the tops.

Can I wear flip flops with my casual sun dresses in the MDR?

Can you? Probably.

Should you? No.

Unless, of course, you really believe that flip-flops are resort casual wear. In that case, nothing said here will make a difference.

There is a difference between beach flip flops and casual flip flops and even Carnival recognizes that...

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats."

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=dress

Actually, it is a Dress Code, not a Dress Suggestion. This is from the Carnival FAQ:

Both dress
codes
for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress
Code
: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress
Code
: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Your own quote from carnival says "BEACH FLIP FLOPS" I am talking about flip flops not BEACH flip flops. thank you for proving my point.;)

Archived