Easiest port to depart from? Harwich or Southhampton

Starting research on a cruise that will depart from either Harwich or Southhampton. Is one easier than the other logistically in terms of getting transportation to and from the airport? I looked into this a few years ago and I felt like one would work out a lot better than the other, but I can't find my information now. :eek: Any thoughts? Thanks!

Southampton is most certainly the closer & easier from London's airports.

For Southampton, most cruisers choose coach from Heathrow airport or train from Gatwick airport. Southampton's cruise terminals are all within a £8 taxi hop from rail or coach stations.

Harwich has no direct links from London's airports :mad: - not even Stansted, which is closer to Harwich. All links are via central London, so you have to take one of several choices of public transport from the airport to central London. Most folk then cross central London by taxi or underground to Liverpool Street station for the train to Harwich. The station at Harwich is right alongside the pier.

BTW, Dover has the same logistical problem of no direct links from airports, thus requires going via central London.

Central London is very easy by coach or train from Southampton, or by train from Harwich. :)

So if you wanted to spend a few days in London pre-cruise, Harwich's inconvenience is limited to post-cruise.

You also need to look at your cruise itinerary - By sea, Harwich is closer to Norway, North Cape, Baltic, whereas Southampton is closer for all other destinations.

John Bull

Archived