Cinco de Mayo 2011

cruisdog

We will be in Cabo on the Sapphire Princess on Cinco de Mayo, and was wondering if anything special happens ashore or on the ship. Thanks

Cinco de Mayo is an American holiday and is not celebrated in Mexico except for maybe in restaurants like Sr Frogs that cater to Americans. I have been in Cabo many times the first week in May and have only maybe seen one or two places that have a sign out.

Cinco de Mayo IS NOT a US/American holiday. It is a day observed in Mexico as a holiday, in some parts of the country - mainly the state of Puebla - but elsewhere not much fuss is made. It is true that many people in the USA - including Mexican-Americans - celebrate the day by over-indulging in alcohol or going out to eat Mexican food and I think that's because many people misunderstand the significance of the day and confuse it with a celebration of Mexican independence, which is September 15-16. It wouldn't surprise me if the cruise ships sailing the waters off of Mexico might just have something special that day. Any opportunity to be festive, and a Cruise Director might jump at the chance. Have a great cruise!

Cinco de Mayo celebrates the defeat of the French in the Battle of Puebla which is why Puebla is the place that celebrates it in Mexico.

I don't know why USA cities decided that it was also a great time to have a party?? That is the custom now in many cities.

Cinco de Mayo IS NOT a US/American holiday. It is a day observed in Mexico as a holiday, in some parts of the country - mainly the state of Puebla - but elsewhere not much fuss is made. It is true that many people in the USA - including Mexican-Americans - celebrate the day by over-indulging in alcohol or going out to eat Mexican food and I think that's because many people misunderstand the significance of the day and confuse it with a celebration of Mexican independence, which is September 15-16. It wouldn't surprise me if the cruise ships sailing the waters off of Mexico might just have something special that day. Any opportunity to be festive, and a Cruise Director might jump at the chance. Have a great cruise!

I should have said, it is a holiday mainly CELEBRATED by Americans.

Archived