What to do in Tortola

LaurieCM

Ship tours? (NCL) Pub crawl? Snorkling? I hear the snorkling in caves (transported by catamaran) is great. If Sid has a good time there may be more cruises in his future. I want to get him hooked on cruises!;);)

If you enjoy the water, snorkel tours are good. The water is beautiful. Also, the Baths excursion off the sail boat was fun. Road Town is a quaint little town with a few mom and pop type stores also Pusser's Rum Store. There is an open air market there right off the ship area heading to town for shopping. Taxi buses are everywhere and you could taxi to Cane Garden Bay but watch the time. Also, taxi over as early as you can to have time to enjoy the beach. Shopping is at CC Bay. You see part of the island while going over to Cane G. Bay. remember, It takes about 30 min.+, to return and the ship doesn't wait. Snorkel excurion to the caves are interesting as well as Norman Island snorkel. hope this helps some.

• 4 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me how far is the walk from the pier to Road Town's shopping area?

Thank you.

10-15 minutes easy walk. The first sets of pictures on the link below are covering the arrival in Tortola and the Pier, including the shopping area (not much though comparing to St. Thomas or St. Marteen for example):

http://2010holidaycruisemercury.shutterfly.com/pictures/4885

We were in Tortola on a Sunday (Boxing Day, 12.26.2010, so most of the stores were closed).

First time in this island, so booked a tour (directly with the cruise line)- pretty similar with the 2.5 hrs ones that you can pick up on the spot right at the Pier: Celebrity organized excursion: Historical and Cultural British Virgin Islands (4 hours, starting 12:30pm) - $34.00 USD/pp

Had a great time and touched most of the main attractions!

Happy travels!

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but we just got back from Tortola and our friends did a 3 hour jitney cab tour of the island with Bob's taxi service.

He took them to some nice spots. They went to see the dolphins in Roadtown along with a historical tour of the town. We ran into them in Sopers Hole at the west end of the island and they were on their way to Cane Garden Bay.

The name of his tour is Best of Tortola. I asked about a website but they said they had to contact him thru his email at roberthenry_1@hotmail.com

I thought they got to see quite a lot. What surprised me was they only paid $20pp. All were in agreement it was worth it for 3 hours.

• 2 months later...
I know this is an older thread but we just got back from Tortola and our friends did a 3 hour jitney cab tour of the island with Bob's taxi service.

He took them to some nice spots. They went to see the dolphins in Roadtown along with a historical tour of the town. We ran into them in Sopers Hole at the west end of the island and they were on their way to Cane Garden Bay.

The name of his tour is Best of Tortola. I asked about a website but they said they had to contact him thru his email at roberthenry_1@hotmail.com

I thought they got to see quite a lot. What surprised me was they only paid $20pp. All were in agreement it was worth it for 3 hours.

Thanks for the Taxi info..would you know what kind of Vehicle Bob uses. There will be 4 adults.

There are open-sided safari trucks, vans, and sedans, and it is just a short walk from the ship to the shops.

The taxi rates are here -

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php

Scato's personalized bus service is another good option -

http://www.scatosbusntaxi.com/?q=about_us

And bvi360.com provides transportation services (land and sea tours)

Kuralu, Aristocat and Patouche are very popular day sails along with bvi360 and divebvi -

kuralu.com

aristocatcharters.com

patouche.com

www.bvi360.com

Also

http://www.b-v-i.com/Charter/daysails.htm

Here's a brief comparison of the Tortola beaches if you're interested -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1524407

• 3 months later...

You will be able to make arrangements there.

There is a Party Tour I just learned about that looks like a fun way to see some of Tortola. I see it offered by NCL, not sure about the other lines. Sounds like you take a safari-taxi to the hilltop stand for shots and then down to Bomba's Shack and then to a beach for lunch. Not sure which beach they hit as it's just described as "nice" but the reviews of that tour are great.

If you've already done Smuggler's Cove and the Baths this may be an option.

Archived