Need Help with Luggage & Underground!

We will be in London in October and will be staying at the Morgan Hotel, which is around the corner from the British Museum. The "How to Find Us" directions for the hotel say to take the Heathrow Express Train to Paddington Station, then take either the green or yellow line to Notting Hill Gate, then change to the red line and get off at Tottenham Court Road. We will be doing this with a carryon and one large suitcase each. Does anyone know if it will be possible to get in and out of these stations hauling luggage? We were in London back in 2003 and loved taking the underground, but didn't try it from the airport. We remember lots and lots of stairs in a lot of the stations, so we're wondering if this plan is feasible or not.

Thanks for your help! Jennifer

The Heathrow Express to Paddington isn't part of the underground system, it's geared to passengers with luggage & very quick & easy.

From Paddington to Tottenham Court Road you have several options by tube, but none are direct - as you know the system is a bit of a rabbit-warren & you need a Londoner who knows the stations, which ones have elevators, etc.

And they may suggest that if you're going to use the tube, you might as well go the whole hog & take it from Heathrow - certainly it's way cheaper than the Heathrow Express, Heathrow is the terminus so you'd have no problem getting seats, and it would involve only one change (at either Leicester Square or Holborn, then just one stop to Tottenham Court Road) rather than changing at both Paddington & Notting Hill Gate.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

But your hotel is only 3 miles from Paddington station, with luggage I'd have thought a taxi to the hotel door would be well worth the fare.

Without expert advice from a Londoner, if I were feeling flush I'd be inclined to go Heathow Express then taxi, or if I were feeling miserly I'd take the tube from Heathrow to Tottenham Court Road.

John Bull

............. or even take the tube direct from Heathrow to Holborn, & instead of changing to get to Tottenham Court Road tube station, walk from Holborn tube station to your hotel. Its under 1/2 mile - an eight minute walk, compared to a five minute walk from Tottenham Court Road tube station.

JB

...and under the right circumstances (you intend to buy a 7 day zone 1 & 2 travelcard, the tube fare can be £1.40 off peak as compared to what is it now, £16 for the Heathrow Express.....doesn't seem to be all that much of a choice provided your baggage is manageable (that is 1 suit case each on wheels plus 1 carryon per person)/. Otherwise, car service which iin this case would be much preferable than either the tube or the Hex and then a taxi or the tube....JMHO

New Years 2009/10 we were in London and took the underground from Heathrow into the city. At the airport they do have a large elevator down to the tracks level. We both had a large suitcase and found it very easy to transport. We stopped first at the counter that sold travelcards and explained how long we'd be in London and also needed enough on the card for a trip to and from the airport. Seemed to have worked perfectly. Elevator is just around from the counter.

We also knew that the station for our hotel was more or less street level and had a handicap ramp so getting off with the bags would be no trouble. I know I checked on-line about the station.

Have a great trip!!

Jennifer ~

While it's perfectly feasible to take the tube directly from Heathrow to Bloomsbury (as I have done on numerous occasions), there are, as you note, a few practical considerations. Your options will be limited by your ability to carry and maneuver your luggage.

First, though: I would ignore the directions on the Morgan Hotel website that tell you to change to the tube after taking the Heathrow Express to Paddington. If you have paid to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, you might as well travel in comfort all the way and take a taxi from Paddington to the hotel.

The cheaper but somewhat slower and more cumbersome alternative is to take the direct tube (Piccadilly Line) from Heathrow to Bloomsbury (either Holborn or Russell Square), and then walk the short distance from the tube station to the hotel. If you do so, however, you should be aware of the following:

1. Holborn tube station has very long escaltors (and no elevators/lifts). Will you feel safe and secure holding onto your luggage while keeping your balance on this? :eek: --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Holborn_Tube_Station_Escalator.jpg

(However, I don't recall there being any stairs per se at Holborn, so at least that should not be an issue.)

2. Russell Square tube station has lifts (elevators) but no escalators. If memory serves, the underground portion of the station is rather a warren of corridors and stairways; I'm fairly certain that you will have to negotiate some stairs en route from the train platform to the lift. Under no circumstances should you attempt to take the main stairs, consisting of 171 steps, from the platform to the surface:eek::

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47071837@N02/4872136987/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hansolo401/4311393599/

By the way... although I've never stayed at the Morgan myself, I used to walk past it regularly. It's in a great location. And in a previous life I knew a high-level academic-publishing executive who booked a room there whenever he visited London--he considered it the place to stay in Bloomsbury.

Cheers,

PC

Thanks so much everyone for your help! It sounds like taking the tube from Heathrow to Holborn and then a taxi (or if the weather's nice, it sounds like a nice walk) to the hotel. I'm not real good on escalators in the first place, and can't imagine trying to get myself plus luggage down (or up) one of them! And I doubt Jim would be real happy trying to maneuver all of them by himself! I knew I could count on our CC friends to help us come up with an answer! We LOVE London and can't wait to go back!

Thanks again! Jennifer

In my book the underground and luggage simply don't mix. Full stop.

Go for the taxi option.

WD

True in many cases but the carriages on the Picadilly line were constructed specifically with Heathrow service in mind and they all contain room for some baggage.

In my book the underground and luggage simply don't mix. Full stop.

Go for the taxi option.

WD

Hi WD,

As a general rule I'd agree.

But the OP is going from the end of the line, so no desperate lunge for the doors in a packed carriage, guaranteed a seat handy to luggage, and by exiting at Holborn or Russell Square no need to change lines (a big bugbear with luggage). The only question mark is platform to street at one or other of those tube stations.

I reckon the OP needs to weight cost vs comfort between Heathrow Express to Paddington then taxi to hotel, and underground to Russell Sq or Holborn then walk or taxi to hotel.

Anyone know which is easier to exit with luggage, Russell Sq or Holborn?

JB

Hi WD,

As a general rule I'd agree.

But the OP is going from the end of the line, so no desperate lunge for the doors in a packed carriage, guaranteed a seat handy to luggage, and by exiting at Holborn or Russell Square no need to change lines (a big bugbear with luggage). The only question mark is platform to street at one or other of those tube stations.

I reckon the OP needs to weight cost vs comfort between Heathrow Express to Paddington then taxi to hotel, and underground to Russell Sq or Holborn then walk or taxi to hotel.

Anyone know which is easier to exit with luggage, Russell Sq or Holborn?

JB

A matter of opinion...Holborn a couple of escalators

Russell Square a lift...I'd vote for the escalator

Whilst I take all the points about the Piccadilly line having coaches designed with luggage in mind, and the fact that the train starts from Heathrow, I still feel the underground is best avoided.

The underground is not pleasant at the best of times, and is not designed for luggage. Then there is the walk at the end.

Compare that with a taxi that takes one to the door of the hotel. No brainer in my book.

WD

A matter of opinion...Holborn a couple of escalators

Russell Square a lift...I'd vote for the escalator

Thanks, 531 :)

And according to google, walking to Morgan Hotel is 0.4 mile & 8 mins from Holborn tube station, or 0.5 mile & 11 mins from Russell Square tube station.

Hi WD, :)

Well, we've all put the options up, pros & cons & all.

So now Jennifer can make her mind up :confused:

JB :D

Whilst I take all the points about the Piccadilly line having coaches designed with luggage in mind, and the fact that the train starts from Heathrow, I still feel the underground is best avoided.

The underground is not pleasant at the best of times, and is not designed for luggage. Then there is the walk at the end.

Compare that with a taxi that takes one to the door of the hotel. No brainer in my book.

WD

Yes but.....want to compare the costs...the trip on the Underground under certain circumtances (you buy a 7 day zone 1 & 2 travelcard on an oyster card and you're travelling off peak) can cost as little as £1.40...care to compare that with the cost of a taxi.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'm pretty sure we will take the underground from Heathrow to either Holborn or Russell Station. We love traveling on the underground, and as John said, we will get on at the beginning (end?) of the line, we shouldn't have a problem getting good seats, even with our luggge.

531, I was interested in your comment that Holborn has 2 escalators and Russell has a lift, but you would chose the escalator over the lift. Why is that? It seems that it would be easier to take your luggage on a lift.

PC, thanks for your pictures!! Man, that's quite an escalator! Looks like it goes on forever! I was encouraged by your comments about the Morgan Hotel. We stayed there in 2003 and thought it was a great place to stay. It was clean, comfortable, and close to places we wanted to see. But that was 9 years ago and you never know how much things have changed.

You know how an answer to one question can lead to another question? Well, I have another question. When we come out of the tube station (either Holborn or Russell), will there be taxis there or will we need to call one? Can we just stand out on the curb and flag one down? What is the proper protocol?

Thanks again! Jennifer

You know how an answer to one question can lead to another question? Well, I have another question. When we come out of the tube station (either Holborn or Russell), will there be taxis there or will we need to call one? Can we just stand out on the curb and flag one down? What is the proper protocol?

Thanks again! Jennifer

I don't know if there are taxi ranks outside those tube stations.

But you can just stand at the kerb and hail a passing cab with it's roof-light lit

Easy :)

No need to tip the cabbie at US rates, just round-up to the next pound or round-up plus £1.

By taxi it'll be further than walking cos of one-way systems.

Mebbe 531 was forgetting about your luggage, without luggage I'd aim for the escalator too.:)

JB

It is simply a matter of opinion.....the escalator is continuous....you get on the back of the queue and move forward and get on the moving stair..hm now I'm not sure. The lift crowds up as people push in behind you...I don't know now that I think about it...I think the escalator but I'm not sure (my experience with truding luggage in the London Underground is at a station with neither...up stairs...not that many...

You can use the London Transport journey planner and put in no stairs and no escalators and see what comes up. English - Journey Planner - Transport for London

Another option is to use the Heathrow Connect train to Paddington, slower by about 10 minutes but much cheaper. 16.50 pounds return. Then I would say taxi from Paddington.

Anybody who,s travelled frequently on London underground with luggage usually only does it once it,s BIG BIG NO NO,apart from it being packed most of the time lifts esculators and all kinds of Hazards make it very difficult to complete any simple journey never mind changing lines,my advice take a cab or pre book alternative transport

Anybody who,s travelled frequently on London underground with luggage usually only does it once it,s BIG BIG NO NO,apart from it being packed most of the time lifts esculators and all kinds of Hazards make it very difficult to complete any simple journey never mind changing lines,my advice take a cab or pre book alternative transport

Sorry to disagree....I have probably been to London 30 or 40 times in the last 15 year and I only use the tube for coming in from Heathrow or from Victoria or from Waterloo or from St. Pancras and I don't find it a big no, no. As a matter of fact, it is very convenient to the hotel I stay at which is near Bayswater station on the Circle/District line so I make changes. I will take a fare of £1.40 against a fare of £16 for a small (very small) degree of inconvenience any day of the week...and twice on Sunday.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for everybody's input. We have decided to take the tube from Heathrow to Russell Square. We'll each have one rolling suitcase plus one carryon, so it shouldn't be too bad. We're also planning on taking the National Express Coach from the Victoria Coach Station to the Southampton Coach Station on the day of the cruise. Does anyone know if the coach is usually on time? How much of a "buffer" should we build into our schedule?

Thanks! Jennifer

Archived