curious about those who book sailing excursions

MamaParrotHead

I've been wondering and have to ask. In all seriousness, as much as I like to sail, I can't imagine being on a boat (cruise ship) for the better part of a week and voluntarily spending any free time on another boat, especially considering the prices of the sailing-type excursions versus other excursions available. I was just honestly curious about what motivates people to do this and thought I'd put this up and see what people's responses would be.:o

MamaParrotHead--I felt the same way you did until we did our first daysail last year. As we were sailing in the gorgeuos blue green water on our "own" boat without a care in the world, it dawned on me--this is the life. We are not beach goers and DH and the kids don't shop. Sure, the kids love to snorkel, but not at the beach and ship tours are overcrowded and overpriced (JMHO). So we decided to try this approach. Having the boat to yourself for the whole day and eating gourmet food ( I know, it's on the cruiseship too) and being treated like royalty is wonderful. We got to sail to protected waters that tourist boats can't go to, the mate swims with the kids and shows them all the sea life, etc. and we had the option if we wanted of going to a private beach. The pace is so relaxing that by the end of the day you don't feel like you've raced around to cram in so many sights in such little time. Of course, all of this is personal preference and you are right, some people just can't imagine spending money that way, but I'm glad we tried it and we are doing it again this year. It is the one thing my teen age kids actually asked to do again!

Hope this helps.

Missyal

Archived