Keeping track of time. Does ship follow its own clock, or adjust for each port?

wrxrob

I just realized, we will be taking our cruise after Daylight Savings Time takes effect, and not all of our destinations follow DST. Not only that, I'm sure some are in different time zones than our departure port.

Crown Princess itinerary

Fort Lauderdale

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cay (Bahamas)

Fort Lauderdale

Am I going to be setting my watch every time we land at a different port?

Also, someone told me a ship blows its horn when its time to leave. Is that true?

The ships may or may not adjust the ship's clock. Any time changes will be announced. That said, the ship follows its own clocks, and thus you better also.

Given your itinerary, I would think the ship will not change its time.

It has been my experience that the ship only blows its horn when someone is not accounted for, and then while it is leaving. That means if you wait for the ship's horn, you will miss the ship. Passengers are expected to be on board thirty minutes prior to departure if the ship is docked. If the ship is using tenders, then the time of the last tender will be posted. Miss that and you miss the ship.

On our cruise, ship time remained the same throughout the cruise, regardless of what time zone we were in. Ship time is the only time you need to know when you're on a cruise. ;)

Ship time was always Miami time (EST), so make sure you take a watch with you, or if you do take a cell phone and use that as a clock, remember it will potentially be an hour or more off.

I've actually had it both ways. It is at the discretion of the Captain. That being said, the vast majority of the time, it has stayed as EST (or EDT) and you just had to adjust the time in your head if you were a port with different time. The only time that gets confusing (other than shore excursion departures) is the opening and closing times of stores and restaurants. A couple of times I've showed up at a place forgetting and getting there only to realize that it doesn't open for another hour :)

I've actually had it both ways. It is at the discretion of the Captain.

It is not at the discretion of the captain. The schedule is set based on how long it takes the ship to go from port to port. If the captain changes the clocks on a whim, then it throws off the schedule. The people who set the itinerary (back at the corporate office) are the ones who decide if the ship should change its clocks.

It is not at the discretion of the captain. The schedule is set based on how long it takes the ship to go from port to port. If the captain changes the clocks on a whim, then it throws off the schedule. The people who set the itinerary (back at the corporate office) are the ones who decide if the ship should change its clocks.

Ok. I was just repeating what a captain told me several years ago. I just get on the boat and do as I'm told :)

I just realized, we will be taking our cruise after Daylight Savings Time takes effect, and not all of our destinations follow DST. Not only that, I'm sure some are in different time zones than our departure port.

Crown Princess itinerary

Fort Lauderdale

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Princess Cay (Bahamas)

Fort Lauderdale

Am I going to be setting my watch every time we land at a different port?

Also, someone told me a ship blows its horn when its time to leave. Is that true?

Well, in my experience the local time is ALWAYS the same as ship time. The ship alters time to ensure that this is the case. I have even been aboard when there has been a half hour adjustment for this very reason.

Equally, the whistle is normally sounded before getting under way. Please bear in mind that ships do not have horns, they have whistles. It's the proper nautical term.

WD

It is hard (impossible) to know in advance, since it is up to the captain. I have had it both ways.

I know that Grand Cayman is on EST year round. Cozumel is on Central time and does observe daylight savings time, but may change at a different date than US. Princess Cay, being a private island, will almost surely be ship time.

Looks like you are sailing CCL in the Caribbean..

In our 3 cruises there, we ALWAYS stayed on "Ships Time" meaning that on our 3 the ship did not change the clocks..

There will be many announcements about time and when to re-board the ship by.. Also there will be a sign at the gangway telling you of any changes..

On my 13-day Baltic Capitals cruise, we changed time zones 6 times. (Itinerary was Dover to St. Petersburg and back - 4 different time zones.) The changes were well publicized and they would leave a reminder card with the daily newsletter so you didn't forget.

Basically, check the ship's clocks BEFORE you get off in port. Adjust your watch (not your cell phone!!!) accordingly. That way, you will never be in danger of missing the ship, due to time changes.

If there is a time change, you'll be informed. Pay attention! No worries!

On our cruise, ship time remained the same throughout the cruise, regardless of what time zone we were in. Ship time is the only time you need to know when you're on a cruise. ;)

Ship time was always Miami time (EST), so make sure you take a watch with you, or if you do take a cell phone and use that as a clock, remember it will potentially be an hour or more off.

On our January cruise (S. Caribbean) we changed the clock a couple of times....Better make sure before you leave the ship that you know what the correct "ship" time is...

Well, in my experience the local time is ALWAYS the same as ship time. The ship alters time to ensure that this is the case. I have even been aboard when there has been a half hour adjustment for this very reason.

WD

It is not uncommon for ship time to be an hour (or sometimes more) different than local time. As others have mentioned, it is up to the Captain whether or not to adjust ship's time. Much of the time they do, but far from all the time. I have had multiple sailings where ship time and port time were different in some ports.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a watch and set it to ship's time. We changed times in the Med about 4 times, I think and then went back again. Cell phones will always adjust to local time zone, but the ship does not necessarily do that.

Always verify ship's time. Don't miss the boat!:eek:

As the others have said (no matter who or what decides the time issue):

1. Before you leave the ship in any port, double check your watches against the ship's time (don't rely on cell phones)

2. Take along the ship's newsletter which will have the time to be back on the ship

3. Always be back on the ship way before the time to be back on the ship

4. Along extra time in tender ports

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a watch and set it to ship's time. We changed times in the Med about 4 times, I think and then went back again. Cell phones will always adjust to local time zone, but the ship does not necessarily do that.

Always verify ship's time. Don't miss the boat!:eek:

I haven't worn a watch on a regular basis in YEARS, but I always take a cheap watch on a cruise and keep it on ship's time. Even if I don't wear the watch on my wrist it is fastened around a strap on my bag where I can find it quickly.

Ok. I was just repeating what a captain told me several years ago. I just get on the boat and do as I'm told :)

I was told on a Celebrity cruise that it was at the discretion of the Captain as well. I guess they don't know what they are talking about ;)

• 3 weeks later...

On UK cruises the ship always, without exception, changes to local time zones. (It's to be hoped so, too. I'm sailing from Southampton to Alaska shortly, and I'd be pretty confused if the sun rises at 4pm ship's time and sets just before breakfast.)

It sounds like a recipe for disaster putting notices at the gangplank saying be back on board at 5 pm, if that means 4pm by the clocks on shore. (Or do I mean 6pm? I can never remember which way the clocks go, and when it's vital like this ...) Not to mention the potential for missed excursions. Still, if it works, good luck to you all. :)

Wow, this is confusing.... I always assumed the ship's time would adjust to the local port's time!

Good to know. As long as we all pay attention on the ship, and know what time they are going by, we should be fine.

Wow, this is confusing.... I always assumed the ship's time would adjust to the local port's time!

Good to know. As long as we all pay attention on the ship, and know what time they are going by, we should be fine.

Its not really confusing. The ship will make it very clear through announcements and postings in the daily news what will happen. If you have a question, I wold recommend checking with Guest Services as well.

Archived